Since my EBY701 pre-dates HDMI use for Lilliput, it instead uses a proprietary 14-pin connector that connects to a pigtail cable. This cable then splits to offer VGA and twin phono inputs. Its a clever little system, but with one critical design flaw: the pigtail cable sticks out the side of the Lilliput rather than the back, and the physical bulk of the connector makes the cables protrude past the side of the screen. This is completely useless for a sliding screen, so that will have to be changed.
Oh, but what's this I spy? A big fat ribbon cable running through my scrap screen? 24 pins too? That may come in very handy - if I can build an interface between the Lilliput's connector and that ribbon cable, then I can connect the pigtail to the back of the metal frame of the slot-loader screen rather than the back of the Lilliput itself. Here goes:
First, two connectors were soldered to a universal board. Annoyingly I couldn't find a board that offered the right pin width for SMD connectors that had 24 pins (1mm), so I had to compromise - some of the pins doubled up to fit, giving me 19 different channels on the 24-pin ribbon. Most important was remembering that they had to be mirror images of each other, so the doubled-up pins had to be opposite versions. Lots of time with needle-tipped screwdrivers was accordingly spent on lining the pins up. I don't ever want to do that again.
These boards were then cut to size and offered up to the ribbon to make sure everything fits.
Then I needed to find a way to connect that to the Lilliput socket. That meant finding out what sockets the Lilliput uses.
After a mighty ball-ache of a search, I found them: 3M make them, under code 10114-6000EL for the ribbon-cable plug and 10214-6212PL for the straight-pin socket. Trouble is, they're so fine I needed to find the right wires to connect to them.
For those that remember the old days of IDE hard drives, an 80-pin ribbon cable sliced up fits perfectly, although it's equally fiddly to solder:
And then came the sphincter-clenching moment of testing: plugging the pigtail cable into the new socket, which connected to the screen's internal ribbon cable, which then converted back to the new plug that connected to the Lilliput. And...
Admittedly, there were some issues. My massive soldering iron wasn't cut out for fine soldering, and in a moment of panic I plugged the Lilliput power supply in the wrong way round, killing a capacitor on the controller board, but I got it fixed (with some forum help) so that I can move on to the next step.