Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Display Install MGF

  1. #1
    Low Bitrate James141's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    82

    Cool Display Install MGF

    Hi All

    I have an MGF and I am looking for somewhere to put a 7" lilliput monitor or similar.

    I have my car PC built and ready, it is just really troubling me where to put the screen, I want it to look as OEM as possible.

    I dont really want to just use the stand that comes with the screen. As being a convertable it is not too secure.

    The problem with this car is the lack of dash space.

    I know it is possible to get a 1 din fold out touch screen TFT but they are a hell of a lot more expensive.

    Pic of the inside of a MGF: http://www.mgcars.org.uk/pics/mgf3.gif

    Has anyone seen or done an install in a MGF or do you have any ideas?

  2. #2
    MySQL Error Scouse Monkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    9,727
    easy - you don't need vents as you have no roof so rip out hte ducts behind and have the screen motorized up from the vent area. For security you could have the vents open to allow the screen to come out. if they fold inwards then the screen comes out it would look cool.

  3. #3
    Low Bitrate James141's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    82

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Monkey
    easy - you don't need vents as you have no roof so rip out hte ducts behind and have the screen motorized up from the vent area. For security you could have the vents open to allow the screen to come out. if they fold inwards then the screen comes out it would look cool.
    Hmm that sounds like a good idea but the mororized part sounds complicated and expensive

  4. #4
    See me in my wet t-shirt. stevieg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Warwickshire, UK
    Posts
    1,887
    I'd get rid of the stereo and get the heater dials moved down if possible, and get the screen fabricated into that area.

    that way it will look stock, deterring theives from the outset.

    http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/aft...a7.jpg&.src=ph

    Example of one done in an MG ZR by Aftaab001 ^

    OK totally different cars but similar layout of original dial positions so may be of some use (his install is here: Mg Zr Carputer)
    Ford Focus MP3 : www.stevieg.org/carpc Blog Updated 29 January 2009!
    Car PC Status: Complete - Undergoing Software Redevelopment

  5. #5
    Low Bitrate James141's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    82

    Talking

    I like that idea, I will have a look at the measurements/space tonight.

    Does anyone have any dimensions for the lilliput 7" screen with the case removed?

    I also like the auto on power thingie

    Also does anyone know a good place to buy the lilliput screens from in the UK? I have seen them on Ebay for about 130 but ppl seem to be getting stung for heafty customs charges

  6. #6
    See me in my wet t-shirt. stevieg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Warwickshire, UK
    Posts
    1,887
    Quote Originally Posted by James141
    I like that idea, I will have a look at the measurements/space tonight.

    Does anyone have any dimensions for the lilliput 7" screen with the case removed?

    I also like the auto on power thingie

    Also does anyone know a good place to buy the lilliput screens from in the UK? I have seen them on Ebay for about 130 but ppl seem to be getting stung for heafty customs charges

    www.linitx.com seems to be the best in the UK. They don't do Lilliputs anymore but they do their own which is reviewed at www.mp3carisma.com

    If you're going to fit it in the dash via fabrication the exact measurements are pretty irrelavant as you're going to be cutting etc anyway. It's not much different in width to a standard head unit however.
    Ford Focus MP3 : www.stevieg.org/carpc Blog Updated 29 January 2009!
    Car PC Status: Complete - Undergoing Software Redevelopment

  7. #7
    Low Bitrate James141's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    82

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by stevieg
    www.linitx.com seems to be the best in the UK. They don't do Lilliputs anymore but they do their own which is reviewed at www.mp3carisma.com

    If you're going to fit it in the dash via fabrication the exact measurements are pretty irrelavant as you're going to be cutting etc anyway. It's not much different in width to a standard head unit however.
    Managed to find one for 146 deliverd

    http://www.komplett.co.uk/k/ki.asp?sku=306513&cks=PRL

    Bargin!!

    It would be nice to know how length of it allthough I guess I can work this out if it is the same width as a head unit and 7" diagonal I knew those maths lessons at school would pay off eventually

    I would like to keep my current head unit as it would save me geting and amp but if it must go it must go

    I will check the measurements tonight and the posibility of moving dials etc.

    Thanks for the help guys, I will let you know what I work out.

  8. #8
    MySQL Error Scouse Monkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    9,727
    Noooooooooo don't go liliput please! save yourself some trouble and get the linITX style one. it also has a nice quality rubberised case and better shaped buttons that i think look more oem than the shaped lilliput ones.

  9. #9
    Low Bitrate James141's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    82

    Question

    Are they really that bad?

    From what I have read a lot of people are using them ok?

    What are the issues?

    I am planning on taking it out of its case so thats not an issue.

  10. #10
    See me in my wet t-shirt. stevieg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Warwickshire, UK
    Posts
    1,887
    Quote Originally Posted by James141
    Are they really that bad?

    From what I have read a lot of people are using them ok?

    What are the issues?

    I am planning on taking it out of its case so thats not an issue.
    Most people have problems when they come out the cases.

    Get the LinITX one. Everyone knows their warranty/service is top notch as well.

    I have a lilliput if I could turn back the clock I would have got a Xenardc (or nowadays the LinITX screen coz of the price)
    Ford Focus MP3 : www.stevieg.org/carpc Blog Updated 29 January 2009!
    Car PC Status: Complete - Undergoing Software Redevelopment

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. xp install to laptop hdd problem
    By thecrow in forum Newbie
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-15-2005, 04:37 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-01-2005, 01:59 PM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-02-2003, 07:29 PM
  4. 4sale 2x20 Futaba vfd display
    By Ted in forum Classified Archive
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-12-2001, 08:47 AM
  5. Where does ground loop isolator install?
    By grandamp3 in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-14-2000, 09:10 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •