Page 15 of 35 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 348

Thread: Solvent adhesives... why don't more people use them?

  1. #141
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Posts
    19
    I got my acetone from Menards, It was like 4 or 5 bucks for a 32 ounce bottle. It was in the paint section. I have seen it at Auto zone also over by the touch up paint but that was like 7-8 bucks a bottle. Basically, any hardware store will have it. Check by the paint thinner (Acetone is an epoxy thinner)

    As for the thickness, I have only used it with acryilic and it is pretty thin. kind of like a syrup. I put too much acrylic in my bottle and have a large lump of it in the bottom of it. I figure when i get low, i will just add some more acetone to the mix to thin it out and disolve the rest of it.

    Brian

  2. #142
    Maximum Bitrate
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    505
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Ranger
    I got my acetone from Menards, It was like 4 or 5 bucks for a 32 ounce bottle. It was in the paint section. I have seen it at Auto zone also over by the touch up paint but that was like 7-8 bucks a bottle. Basically, any hardware store will have it. Check by the paint thinner (Acetone is an epoxy thinner)

    As for the thickness, I have only used it with acryilic and it is pretty thin. kind of like a syrup. I put too much acrylic in my bottle and have a large lump of it in the bottom of it. I figure when i get low, i will just add some more acetone to the mix to thin it out and disolve the rest of it.

    Brian
    How come you went with acrylic instead of the ABS?

  3. #143
    Low Bitrate
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    59
    Quote Originally Posted by DK888
    Ok.... I'm assuming that the ABS/acetone mixture is a bit on the thick side...or is it? And how thick is the mixture for Featherweight? I don't think i'm that advanced to start making molds but, I would like to mold my monitor to the dash as a beginning project. Hence, filling in the gaps that I already have. How much did the lego and acetone project cost? and how much does the Featherweight cost?
    the featherlight trial kit makes 2 quarts is $20, that's a whole lot of lego's and acetone. It's as thick as water. I'd suggest filling in gaps with bondo or filler material. Before you start making molds you need a finished plug.

  4. #144
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by DK888
    How come you went with acrylic instead of the ABS?
    The case i built is acrylic and i want to make the top and sides one peice to make it a cleaner looking install and all the sides meet together.
    I actually doubt i will mount the screen in my dash.
    I am going to mount the CD drive in my dash above my stereo though.

    Brian

  5. #145
    Maximum Bitrate
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    505
    Ok..thanks for the feed back you two. I'll experiment on some old pieces first before i mess up my dash.

  6. #146
    Constant Bitrate Subwoofer87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    113
    I just read this whole thread and this looks like a very good idea. I have never fabricated anything in my life and my screen and metra kit should come in the mail tomorrow. I think I am going to take this route even though I was going to have my friend who is experienced with fiberglassing help me.

    My dad does construction/plumbing/tile setting/electrical work so I already have acetone and ABS pipes available to me and Longs/Wallgreens is right around the corner for the condiment bottles. We also have a router so shavings will be incredibly easy to get.

    I will be sure to take and post pictures of my process if I do choose this method.

  7. #147
    Low Bitrate
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    New Orleans, LA
    Posts
    75
    Quote Originally Posted by DK888
    Ok.... I'm assuming that the ABS/acetone mixture is a bit on the thick side...or is it? And how thick is the mixture for Featherweight? I don't think i'm that advanced to start making molds but, I would like to mold my monitor to the dash as a beginning project. Hence, filling in the gaps that I already have. How much did the lego and acetone project cost? and how much does the Featherweight cost?

    The ABS Acetone mixture can be as thick or thin as you want...just vary your ratio. I used some thick stuff to get the general shape then used thinner stuff to fill in any air pockets I got from working too fast.
    1997 VW Jetta GLX VR6
    old HP MP
    PIII 600 or so 256 MB
    7" Xenarc
    and some plywood holding it all together
    My Project

  8. #148
    Maximum Bitrate
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    505
    That makes sense! I'll definitely give that a shot. Thanks!

  9. #149
    Low Bitrate
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    SoCal - 909
    Posts
    83
    I think for just glueing bits together, that's a great idea. I can't believe I've never thought of doing that myself. I chose fiberglass to work with because I was actually creating new parts. Achieveing a nice curved panel where there used be all sorts of pocket 'n' junk is the true calling of fiberglass.
    AutoPC: M10k, WinXP, gps, wifi, 80GB HD, dvd-RW. SB mp3+
    MediaEngine front end, map monkey, netstumbler.
    gps mouse is on the fritz.....stupid technology

  10. #150
    Maximum Bitrate
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    505
    I'm going to learn the art of fiberglassing soon. Can't wait to itch! But the results i'm sure look great.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 30
    Last Post: 07-28-2010, 11:14 PM
  2. People with tuners who work with radiator NATIVELY.
    By nappyjim in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-18-2005, 10:24 PM
  3. stupid people ,aking me get a lawyer
    By wizardPC in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-09-2005, 09:14 PM
  4. Ok, people asked, i finally have pics of the "behind the scenes" install
    By Urinemachine in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 07-24-2004, 12:20 AM
  5. The bad news is PEOPLE ARE STUPID!!
    By cproaudio in forum General MP3Car Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-07-2003, 01:25 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •