Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: smoothly bonding metal and bondo?

  1. #1
    Variable Bitrate
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    284

    smoothly bonding metal and bondo?

    (uhm, not sure if this posted?)
    hey guys, im almost done with molding my screen, but since the xenarc frame is aluminum, im not sure how to get a nice seamless flowing between the bottom of the monitor frame and the bondo (there used to be holes for HVAC knobs, and ive shaved those with a combination of fiberglass and more bondo. right now there is a DVD slot i just added in...)





    anyways, is there any way to get this into a more smoother curve. i keep adding bondo and trying to sanding in a curvelike fashion, but after i hit it up with some primer, its not smooth looking at all.

    as always, appreciate any suggestions and thanks for reading.

    edit: should i just keep primering for like 50 layers in addition to wetsanding? will that help and make it seamless? thanks
    Mazdaspeed Car Computer
    gotta redo it all

  2. #2
    My Village Called 0l33l's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Berkeley, CA
    Posts
    10,516
    Why didn't you just take it out of its case?

  3. #3
    Variable Bitrate
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    284
    Not sure what you mean?

    Take it out of the case? You know how the casings for the 7" screens are plastic?, the one for the 8" is aluminum, and kinda makes it hard to make a seamless molding, unless i just need to shoot a couple thick layers of primer and get that goin.

    not sure, thanks for reading
    Mazdaspeed Car Computer
    gotta redo it all

  4. #4
    My Village Called 0l33l's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Berkeley, CA
    Posts
    10,516
    Quote Originally Posted by Dexter
    Not sure what you mean?

    Take it out of the case? You know how the casings for the 7" screens are plastic?, the one for the 8" is aluminum, and kinda makes it hard to make a seamless molding, unless i just need to shoot a couple thick layers of primer and get that goin.

    not sure, thanks for reading
    I meant that this isn't a lilli that will fall apart if you remove its casing. Basically I was saying to just totally ditch the aluminum and make your own holding for the screen.

  5. #5
    Variable Bitrate
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    284
    Gotcha, but damn, that'd be alot more work, and i spent a week fussing over making sure it was straight before i put it in and stuff... I dunno, I suck, im gonna go empty a can of primer on dis biatch. heh.
    Mazdaspeed Car Computer
    gotta redo it all

  6. #6
    My Village Called 0l33l's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Berkeley, CA
    Posts
    10,516
    Quote Originally Posted by Dexter
    I dunno, I suck, im gonna go empty a can of primer on dis biatch. heh.
    Good idea...

  7. #7
    Raw Wave shotgunefx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    1,800
    Maybe use some bondo spot putty? It's in an orange tube, easy to work with. Hell, I'd recommend throwing on a rubber glove and just using your finger to contour it. Then sand it gently without a board/block. I think the board will just expose the edge again.

  8. #8
    Variable Bitrate
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    284
    yeah, ive got a big tube if the spot putty. i will try that, and yeah i use gloves and just contour it with my finger. i edned up emptying the can of spotfiller/high build primer, i'm gonna wetsand it now with some 400 and try some of the spot putty. i can see it IS building up and getting nicer, but man, its gonna take awhile. oh well, such is the life.
    Mazdaspeed Car Computer
    gotta redo it all

  9. #9
    Raw Wave shotgunefx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    1,800
    Quote Originally Posted by Dexter
    yeah, ive got a big tube if the spot putty. i will try that, and yeah i use gloves and just contour it with my finger. i edned up emptying the can of spotfiller/high build primer, i'm gonna wetsand it now with some 400 and try some of the spot putty. i can see it IS building up and getting nicer, but man, its gonna take awhile. oh well, such is the life.
    I'd give the spot putty a try. When I was putting in my spoiler, I dropped it and chipped the tip right off. (I was ****ed)

    I took some of that and was able to make a new tip in about an hour sculpting it with my finger. I had to do it in three passes to build it up.

    Good luck.

  10. #10
    Maximum Bitrate Altimat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    WI
    Posts
    764
    Bondo sticks to metal great just sand it well first. Spot putty is the devil use it very sparingly and only for the very smallest imperfections and pinholes.
    Fabricator

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. should i use bondo to do this? suggestions...
    By therussman2002 in forum Fabrication
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-09-2005, 04:03 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •