Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: flip down cover like 350z

  1. #1
    Variable Bitrate
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    272

    flip down cover like 350z

    in the next week or 2 i wanna start making a custom dash for my '00 xterra, to put a 7" monitor, volume knob, CD slot, and maybe a couple accy's here and there. I've researched on this bondo'ing and whatnot, and i'm ready to do that, BUT, i wanna go a little further, and was wondering if i could make a flip down cover (either motorized or springloaded, the former would be better of course) to cover the screen when not in use, similar to the 350z.

    If its plausible, which i'm sure it is, what are some different ways i could go about it, and any ideas/hints/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

    (if motorized is possible, i'd go with that, and wonder if i could somehow make a relay for it to automatically open when car is on, and close when car is off.)

    I'm asking for too much aren't i?

  2. #2
    Tainted Love Cris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Romania
    Posts
    4,651
    Quote Originally Posted by senseless228
    in the next week or 2 i wanna start making a custom dash for my '00 xterra, to put a 7" monitor, volume knob, CD slot, and maybe a couple accy's here and there. I've researched on this bondo'ing and whatnot, and i'm ready to do that, BUT, i wanna go a little further, and was wondering if i could make a flip down cover (either motorized or springloaded, the former would be better of course) to cover the screen when not in use, similar to the 350z.

    If its plausible, which i'm sure it is, what are some different ways i could go about it, and any ideas/hints/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

    (if motorized is possible, i'd go with that, and wonder if i could somehow make a relay for it to automatically open when car is on, and close when car is off.)

    I'm asking for too much aren't i?

    Check Bugbyte's install, he's made a flip up motorized monitor, and he also has many details on that.
    If you get one of thos covers, I guess you could use a cd rom system, as the cover is light enough. I'm not sure you'll have the space though...

  3. #3
    Variable Bitrate
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    272
    no, i'm not talking about like that.

    i'm talking about an in-dash monitor...thats stationary. BUT, it has a cover that can come out, and over it, so no one can see it, like a 350z


  4. #4
    Tainted Love Cris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Romania
    Posts
    4,651
    Quote Originally Posted by senseless228
    no, i'm not talking about like that.

    i'm talking about an in-dash monitor...thats stationary. BUT, it has a cover that can come out, and over it, so no one can see it, like a 350z


    As I said, the little servo thing in the cd rom case could make than slipe in/out, as it's light, but I don't see a way to put it in there though...

  5. #5
    Variable Bitrate
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    272
    My Dash:


    and thanks for your input cris

  6. #6
    Maximum Bitrate Altimat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    WI
    Posts
    764
    I used the 350Z part to make mine.
    Fabricator

  7. #7
    Variable Bitrate
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    272
    i'm searching for your install altimat, but the search result brought 20 pages, haha, so i a pic would be nice. and how hard was it to make it fit your dash.

  8. #8
    Tainted Love Cris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Romania
    Posts
    4,651
    Quote Originally Posted by senseless228
    i'm searching for your install altimat, but the search result brought 20 pages, haha, so i a pic would be nice. and how hard was it to make it fit your dash.

    Search for Threads Started by Altimat, and you'll see some amazing work.

  9. #9
    Maximum Bitrate Altimat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    WI
    Posts
    764
    This is the only pic I have:



    It was a lot of work. It has some curvature as it is, and I needed to flatten the cover quite a bit. It looks like you may need it completely flat. Even if you only use the mechanism I think it beats starting from scratch for $75, especially since a Xenarc fits within perfectly. My Lilli fit too, just not as easily. Look at a car on a lot first to see if you think it could be made to work.

    Mine ended up too angled. I need to pull it back apart and set the screen more vertical. The natural angle may be better for you if a new cover can be made to work.

    The lower filler piece where my buttons are is separate and another $17. The cubby part is the NON-nav part.
    Fabricator

  10. #10
    Variable Bitrate
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    329
    [Altimat] you paid $75 for cubby? Oh and Altimat are you still doing custom fab work for people?

    [senseless2280] At first I was thinking about using something like that but I think it's to big. There are some other cars that have something similar. I think the Honda Accord and the Scion TC. Though the chubby might be better because like Altimat said it fits pretty easily.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. To gut or not to gut... looking for flip down solution...
    By coachreed in forum General MP3Car Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-22-2005, 03:29 PM
  2. Capture GPS data at the flip of a switch
    By Mr. Inquisitive in forum GPS
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-02-2005, 07:06 PM
  3. Best way to make a 'flip up' monitor?
    By GReeToZ in forum Fabrication
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 01-21-2005, 06:48 PM
  4. Switches with flip cover - help
    By sygad in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-08-2004, 07:55 AM
  5. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-02-2003, 07:29 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •