Right folks, I've finally taken the plunge and started doing a proper fabrication job for CarPC v2
I'm going the ABS/Acetone method And I must say, so far, this is the easiest, albeit timeconsuming method of making a custom bezel for someone who is no good at using body filler/bondo. Just be careful to ware some decent (IIRC Nitrile) gloves cause the stuff is a ***** to get off your hands, especially when mixed very thinly. Also be sure to be in a well ventilated area unless you wanna get pie eye'd
I don't know why I was having so much trouble melting the dash last night cause its all gone like a dream tonight.
I have taken some pictures of what I have done this week. Im doing it slowly but surely as mistakes take even longer to sort out There are also some pictures of the tackle I used, and my ABS pellets (with Cig box on as size reference).
The front bezel of the screen is being moulded straight to the dash trim and then re-assembled so it becomes part of the clip on panel. I have chosen to mount the screen in this particular panel as the heater controls can be located in to the lower DIN slot. And this panel is high in the dash, easy to reach and has zero glare as it reflect stright off the roof liner and not a window! And it is only held in with metal snap clips, so it effectively makes my screen removable (for security). I will be locating the vents further up/back on the dash by choping a hole in the dash top (with my trusty Dreme) re-ducting the air flow, and using vents from another car, probably a Peugeot 407 as they are set on quite a shallow angle so the don't just blow at the roof.
I've cut my dash panel to the rough shape I need with my new Cordless Dremel, and stuck the lilli in with just a few small blobs of ABS where it contacted the dash panel. Once they had hardened, I then started using some thick black (IIRC roofing tape, like Duct tape/Elephant tape) tape to create a mould, then just slowly poor in the ABS. Oh yeh, before I forget, I made a fake screen unit from MDF board so the lilli bezel doen't deform whilst it's still soft.
I got the Acetone from Dulux Decorators Centre in Rochdale, and the ABS Pellets from my local injection moulding firm. Can't tell you their name as my contact doesn't want to get in trouble for giving away stock
For those who can't find a decent container for the ABS gunk I've found that a Zefal bicycle drinking bottle is perfect for the job, sold at any bike shop or Halfrauds. You can also use most aerosol can lids to mix small quantities.
Hair drier is used to gently warm the mix so it sets a little faster, it also comes in handy to stop runs. Don't get too close or get it too hot though as it bubbles up
To get to this stage has probably taken me about 3 hours, but I did say Im taking my time...
Anyway, now for the pics.
awesome! looks like you made progress from where you were last night.
Checked it this morning and all still looks OK. ABS is still a little soft and plyable though, so I stuck it in the hot water tank cupboard whilst Im at work to warm it a little. It is touch dry but still very flexable and a little smelly (the smell should dissappear when its dry.
Will have to make the mix a little thicker next time...
Any updates on this? I have the same car and was wondering how it turned out.
Just done some more sanding and filling tonight...
It looking pretty smart now
Got to wait till thursday for my wrinkle paint, and have no plastic primer left so I'll have to get some more tomorrow.
Anyway, I've left it for tonight as my digi camera's at work and I need some picture doing before its painted.
more pics coming soon... but here's some from the the last couple of sessions:-
1st & 2nd:
Shows structure of surround being built up with ABS pieces. These were then trimmed down with my Dremel and rough sanded.
Eventually I will completely cover over the buttons but first I need to mod the lilli so I can relocate the IR eye & PC/AV buttons (they are the only ones I need).
2nd pic shows the mess the ABS goo made when it dissolved the tape and ran under it and melted the edge of the lilli bezel.
3rd & 4th:
I filled & painted the bezel with some quick dry Acrylic bumper paint just to see where it needed more work. Paint has since been sanded off and more filler applied.
damn thats comin out hella clean keep up the good work :-)
looks good but im sure u can do better for exacle get those lines out (connects lili to dash) put som filler in to it and sand it, i aint a pro but it can be done and it will look even better but what ever work, its till a nice peice of work
There is a lot more to do on it till I will be happy
I left the vertical borders to the lilli moulding to keep a detailled look to it. Didn't want it too look like some big curvy jelly mould
The buttons on the lilli will be covered over & blended too and the IR eye reset somewhere nice and discrete.
It will be getting 3 layers of plasticote oxide primer (wet sanded with 1200's in between), and and a coat of VHT Black Wrinkle Finish paint. I may then paint it with some Matt Black paint if the wrinkle is too shiney.