Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Tips for molding a spoiler into a decklid?

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    8

    Tips for molding a spoiler into a decklid?

    Hi, as u can see im new here. Im trying to find any tips/hints/tutorials about molding a spoiler in the deck lid of my 95 mustang gt. Im thinking i should use either fiberglass or bondo(body filler stuff) for it. The spoiler is urethene.

    What do u guys think?

  2. #2
    Maximum Bitrate grepzen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    VaBch VA
    Posts
    575
    Unless this is an MP3 or GPS enabled decklid.. you might be in the wrong forum for just body mods. MP3car (oddly enough) is primarily commited to the discussion of related technologies.

    Just the same, the folks here ARE helpful and will chime in if they have anything useful to offer.
    •Micke

  3. #3
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    8
    ohhhh...gotcha. What is considered a mp3 car?

    Anyway, i was just searching on google and saw a really long post in the archives from this site so i figured the guys here would have some ideas for me.

  4. #4
    Maximum Bitrate
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    558
    try http://www.fiberglassforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=3 it is a new sit but has few knowledgeable people there - and here too.

  5. #5
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by kingtut
    try http://www.fiberglassforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=3 it is a new sit but has few knowledgeable people there - and here too.

    Thanks!

  6. #6
    Constant Bitrate PitchBlack98's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Littleton, CO
    Posts
    188
    Ill go ahead and give you a tip... Dont do it. the trunk flexes too much when its opened and closed. The bondo and/or fiberglass is just going to crack between the metal and fiberglass spoiler. If its a show car thats never driven then go for it.
    The end of the Internet offically begins here...
    www.broke-off.com

  7. #7
    Variable Bitrate SickVette's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Wesley Chapel, Fl
    Posts
    325
    Quote Originally Posted by PitchBlack98
    Ill go ahead and give you a tip... Dont do it. the truck flexes too much when its opened and closed. The bondo and/or fiberglass is just going to crack between the metal and fiberglass spoiler. If its a show car thats never driven then go for it.

    I agree if he uses those products. You will need to use an epoxy adhesive/filler to get the spoiler to bond. You need to remove the paint from the trunk lid where the spoiler attaches and from the spoiler. Use an epoxy that is made to bond to metal and composite. 3M makes several products that will work. Once it is locked into place you can use a body filler to smooth out the rough edges. Done properly and you will have no problems.

  8. #8
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by SickVette
    I agree if he uses those products. You will need to use an epoxy adhesive/filler to get the spoiler to bond. You need to remove the paint from the trunk lid where the spoiler attaches and from the spoiler. Use an epoxy that is made to bond to metal and composite. 3M makes several products that will work. Once it is locked into place you can use a body filler to smooth out the rough edges. Done properly and you will have no problems.

    ahhhh see thanks for the tips guys. I really appreciate it.

    Looks like if i do this i got some work ahead of me!

  9. #9
    Banned xdjxklusivex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Diamond Bar, CA (909,951)
    Posts
    2,742
    ill say dont do it eathr :-P its a **** load of work! and it might not hold like what others said and its gonna be a bich to get it perfectly straight and even

  10. #10
    Variable Bitrate SickVette's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Wesley Chapel, Fl
    Posts
    325
    Quote Originally Posted by xdjxklusivex
    ill say dont do it eathr :-P its a **** load of work! and it might not hold like what others said and its gonna be a bich to get it perfectly straight and even

    I say screw that he is just afraid. Custom work evolves around doing things others would not do or can not do. You pull it off and you will have a sweet custom piece. Besides that it is totally 100 percent doable. Things like that get done all the time....has anyone ever seen molded in ground effects? DUH...samething. Let me know if you have any other questions. I have done things very simular to what you are looking to do many times.

Similar Threads

  1. Tips for screwing into car body.
    By SwapMeet in forum Car Audio
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 03-07-2005, 07:39 AM
  2. Replies: 24
    Last Post: 10-28-2004, 06:13 PM
  3. Sub Tuning Tips
    By shakes in forum Car Audio
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 04-21-2004, 11:05 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •