it's in the car...the box and the sub....no amps yet....probably going to figure out exactly where I am going to mount them this weekend, and start on the amp rack. I'll tell you all of the little things that have taken me it seems forever to do.
So justin and I found out that the box was leaking in the corners. At this point, I was fed up with glassing mainly because we used all of the good resin, and I had to buy 'bondo brand resin' and it sucks.
So, after doing a lot of internet research, I found that a good way to seal a box due to some leaking, you need to make a milkshake. What you do is mix a cup of resin like you usually do, add the hardner, and add just bondo (no bondo hardner) until you get the consistancy of a milkshake. You pour it all inside te box...getting into all of the nooks and crannies, and let it sit till it hardens. Justin and I were kinda nervous about it not getting hard, he he, getting hard, but it did.
So after many big cups of this milkshake, I was very confident that it would not leak, mainly because we leaked 'milkshake' all over his garage. You can see the milkshake in the sub hole.
Then we drilled a hole (oooooh a hole) to run speaker wire, patched that up nice, and we were now ready to put the MDF lid on it. We used an entire tube of silicone to put a nice fat bead of silicone between the glassed wood frame, and the MDF. I, in a moment of clarity, decided to predrill the holes in the MDF so screwing the box in would be money, plus counter sinking them.
We let that cure for a few days since it was a little cold outside, and that came out nice. The next thing that I found out was that I needed something to provide as a filler between the box and the trunk, it wiggled a little bit. I found that Auto Stoned sells black undercoating. So I bought a can of that, and sprayed the underneath of the box so that there was a rubbery layer to reduce vibrations, and well, be black. Perfect fit now.
To make things nicer, we ended up bondoing over all of the screw holes, so that the countersinks would not be noticed under the carpet, nice little 'extra-mile' touch.
If you noticed in the earlier pics, we did infact make the MDF sheet able to have the sub countersunk flush with the MDF. So I needed an OVERKILL method of securing the sub to the box. So we drilled holes for screws, got some t-nuts, and put those in the bottom of the holes. (ADD moment) we next put the carpet over top, stapled it to one side, sprayed our favorite 3M super99 adheasive, let it get tackey for a minute, and stretched the carpet over the entire top, and stapled it to the other side. After that set a bit, we cut the center out, sprayed more adheasive on the countersink, and made little X's with the utility knife so the screws would fit through the hole. Now, the overkill part is I bought nice stainless steel allen head screws, and the thing that sucks, is that you can't see them, but I know they are there. So carpet is done, sub is wired and installed
in the car....the next thing to tackle is building my amp rack, which should be less time consuming, but who knows, I doubt it.
and yes, the sub is centered....I was at an angle when I took the last pic