Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 34

Thread: Megalo's 1st fiberglass project, kickpanels(worklog)

  1. #21
    Maximum Bitrate Megalomaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    The Colony, TX
    Posts
    549
    Quote Originally Posted by Ces///M3 View Post
    You should DEFINETLY not be touching any of these chemicals with attire that you would wear to the beach. A painters hooded suit or heavy sweats/sweatshirt should be a minimum man. Learn from my mistakes as well as the mistakes of many before us. Good thing you picked up a respirator as well, thats a big one too.

    Furthermore, It seems like you enjoy doing this kind of stuff so I will have to let you know some key points.

    1.) The mask you bought works well good thing you did take the neccessary steps in that regard.
    2.) Fiberglass resin will damage the **** out of your nervous system.
    3.) Many tests have been done on the effects of using fiberglass resin. These tests have been conducted by government agencies like the Dept of labor as well as many non governmental medical associations. Some of the clinical trial results were as such: on average double the likelyhood of lung cancer and copd. Also double as likely to devlop other forms of cancer and tumors.
    4.) There have been studies done on the effects these chemicals have on our dna and studies have shown that prolonged use of this stuff will alter your dna, making it a possibility that your children will come out in some way shape or form disabled.

    I know this has been a rant any nobody really likes to talk about this kinda stuff but I just feel the need to teach this part of our craft cause I dont wanna die and Im sure you dont either from what would of cost 50-60 bucks in gear for peace of mind.
    im curious how do you know soo much? Do you just read a lot on the net,which i do also. or do you work for a company?

  2. #22
    Variable Bitrate HHdesign's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Plano, TX
    Posts
    351
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaloRESE15" View Post
    im curious how do you know soo much? Do you just read a lot on the net,which i do also. or do you work for a company?
    Its on the back of the resin can...

    ..."Known by the State of California to Cause Cancer..."

    I use the $30-40 respirators at Homedepot and you should be fine. Unless your around this **** everyday then your fine. I've been fine using short sleeves and lots of baby powder, but I'd reccomend wearing sweats and long sleeves taped to your gloves. This is only for sanding, otherwise your fine.

    I often glass in a wifebeater and gymshorts with my respirator and googles. You shouldn't have a problem with fiberglas strands when glassin, only when sanding.
    Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo
    Kenwood X790 x/ iP500 Ipod Interface
    Elemental Designs 13Kv.2 D2
    CDT ES-620 (omg yayay!!!1)
    NINe.2X, NINe.2

  3. #23
    Maximum Bitrate Megalomaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    The Colony, TX
    Posts
    549
    Quote Originally Posted by HHdesign View Post
    Its on the back of the resin can...

    ..."Known by the State of California to Cause Cancer..."

    I use the $30-40 respirators at Homedepot and you should be fine. Unless your around this **** everyday then your fine. I've been fine using short sleeves and lots of baby powder, but I'd reccomend wearing sweats and long sleeves taped to your gloves. This is only for sanding, otherwise your fine.

    I often glass in a wifebeater and gymshorts with my respirator and googles. You shouldn't have a problem with fiberglas strands when glassin, only when sanding.
    lately i have been getting headaches, i am a for not airing out the pods overnight outside i just left them in the car and now everytime i drive my car i get the worst of headaches, i have to drive with head sticking out the window slightly.

  4. #24
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    20
    Besides baby powder, spray your exposed skin with hair spray. Old trick but works great when working around and with any kind of fiberglass.

  5. #25
    Maximum Bitrate Yevmeister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    562
    damn maybe it works, but sounds more like prank
    R. T. F. M

  6. #26
    Maximum Bitrate Megalomaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    The Colony, TX
    Posts
    549
    Quote Originally Posted by vpogv View Post
    Besides baby powder, spray your exposed skin with hair spray. Old trick but works great when working around and with any kind of fiberglass.
    spraying with hairspray i would think cause my skin to get sticky therefor i am better off rubbing dirt all over my arms instead

  7. #27
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaloRESE15" View Post
    spraying with hairspray i would think cause my skin to get sticky therefor i am better off rubbing dirt all over my arms instead
    Hairspray is only sticky when first sprayed on, it dries non-tacky. But sticky or not the point is to put a layer of something between your skin and the flying fiberglass. With a layer of hairspray on your arms the glass fibers cannot get to your skin.

    I see how you are skeptical, but after working in an attic for a week this summer i am a believer in it.

  8. #28
    Maximum Bitrate Yevmeister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    562
    Quote Originally Posted by vpogv View Post
    Hairspray is only sticky when first sprayed on, it dries non-tacky. But sticky or not the point is to put a layer of something between your skin and the flying fiberglass. With a layer of hairspray on your arms the glass fibers cannot get to your skin.

    I see how you are skeptical, but after working in an attic for a week this summer i am a believer in it.

    Cool, i might do it when it's hot, and i do not want to wear sweatshirt

    Yev
    R. T. F. M

  9. #29
    Variable Bitrate
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Posts
    384
    Just being in the industry for some time now, being closely tied to many fields of implementation involving fiberglass mostly auto body work, fab'ing and custom boat builders even some friends of mine that glass for the us navy.

    And the suit that I mentioned in my prior post is completely breathable, highly recommended for long term work.

  10. #30
    Constant Bitrate
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    194
    hmmmm so i bought some elmers resin, and chop matt for experimental purposes to see what working with glass is like, and get used to it before i do any custom work in my car

    bought a pair of safty glasses, a basic 3m mask (gonna be outside and not exposed for long periods, so for now it should be fine i think.... only one or 2 days total and each day only like 15-20 min at a time then let cure, add some matt, let cure, rinse repeat
    with 45 min to 1 hr in between) it is fiberglass rated btw, brush, gloves, and some acetone.... im gonna get a respirator when i actually glass in the car but the place i went today only had one and i wasnt a huge fan of it (was over priced and seemed like crap lol), and its gonna be outdoors with a fan at least blowing over it so i think ill be fine for short term use at least lol (correct me if im wrong tho, and ill get a respirator before i start lol)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Fiberglass Sub Enclosure project
    By shillier in forum Fabrication
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 02-06-2009, 03:30 PM
  2. 1st project Chevy Lumina
    By darky83 in forum Show off your project
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-03-2009, 02:04 AM
  3. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-02-2005, 08:33 AM
  4. First Fiberglass Project....have questions...
    By DeathtoToasters in forum Fabrication
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 08-07-2004, 12:38 PM
  5. 1st Project.....
    By omc1jz in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-03-2003, 11:19 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •