Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: DJiK's M2-ATX Enclosure Mod

  1. #1
    Maximum Bitrate DJiK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles (Winnetka), CA
    Posts
    864

    Lightbulb DJiK's M2-ATX Enclosure Mod

    The CarPC I'm using used to be a self-contained MiniPC.
    I've decided to squeeze the M2-ATX DC-DC power supply in place of the original 110V PSU and then install everything back into place.

    Side-by-Side Comparison:



    There were two goals in this project:
    * Make the M2 fit at the best place.
    * To not modify anything on the M2 (not even the wire harnesses) for resale value and warranty purposes.

    Done:

    Notice a few things in the image above:
    * The original 12V fan is blowing hot air out of the enclosure.
    * The fan is plugged in to the 4-pin (P4) connector.
    * The three power wires (Bat., Ign., and Gnd.) are connected to the original AC connector -- more about it below.
    * The ATX 20 pin, motherboard switch, and LED connectors are neatly located outside of the case -- for easier access.
    * The amplifier remote turn-on wire is routed out towards the back -- between the fan and the switch (not pictured).
    * All of the connections had been soldered and heat-shrunk, except the main ground.
    * There's enough room in the case to keep all wires neatly arranged by the M2's side.

    The AC Connector:

    Something to slow me down in case I decide to plug 'er up to the wall.

    Done and Sealed:


    The New Arrangement inside the CarPC Case:


    Closeup:


    I hope ya'll like it.


    Feedback, questions, comments?
    For Sale: Carputer (CarPC) & RCA Y-Adapter
    Newsflash: Take a look at my unsold stuff above, thanks!
    Up Next: Make an OBD to Serial cable & Redo the "MMI buttons"

  2. #2
    FLAC evandude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    937
    Quote Originally Posted by DJiK View Post
    The AC Connector:
    Something to slow me down in case I decide to plug 'er up to the wall.
    Smart! A very simple solution to prevent a mistake we all know we'd probably make at the worst possible time And it's more rugged and convenient than ripping out the connector and trying to mount a different one there. Nice job

    Can't get any depth perspective from the picture, but I assume the set screw is mounted far enough forward that it will stop the plug well before the pins can make contact? It looks like you're using masking tape as insulation on the metal underneath the M2... if that's the case I would definitely at least switch to electrical tape, or even better, sandwich a big piece of plastic underneath the M2... A little vibration and the pins can easily wear through a layer of tape and reach the metal. That, or mount the M2 on some suitable standoffs to make absolutely sure it can't short out on the case, which is probably the best solution.

    Looks like a great installation though, as long as it's safe
    But don't take it from me! here's a quote from a real, live newbie:
    Quote Originally Posted by Viscouse
    I am learning buttloads just by searching on this forum. I've learned 2 big things so far: 1-it's been done before, and 2-if it hasn't, there is a way to do it.
    eegeek.net

  3. #3
    Maximum Bitrate DJiK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles (Winnetka), CA
    Posts
    864
    Quote Originally Posted by evandude View Post
    Smart! A very simple solution to prevent a mistake we all know we'd probably make at the worst possible time And it's more rugged and convenient than ripping out the connector and trying to mount a different one there. Nice job
    Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by evandude View Post
    It looks like you're using masking tape as insulation on the metal underneath the M2... if that's the case I would definitely at least switch to electrical tape, or even better, sandwich a big piece of plastic underneath the M2... A little vibration and the pins can easily wear through a layer of tape and reach the metal. That, or mount the M2 on some suitable standoffs to make absolutely sure it can't short out on the case, which is probably the best solution.
    I didn't take a picture of it, but the masking tape is holding another piece--I don't know how it's called--so I'll try to describe it...
    You know how if you cut a hole in aluminum, it's very sharp, and you gotta fill it in with something? Well, what I used is one of those flexible plastic tubes, U-shaped, to both insulate the case and make it safer to operate.

    The M2 is mounted on a standoff, also nearly invisible in the pics.
    The M2's design isn't perfect, because Mini-box only made two mounting points at the extreme edges of the board, and what's worse, they're inline.
    So I used a motherboard standoff near the fan, and then 4 gluable square "legs" to keep the PSU off the floor. Finally, I strapped it with a zip-tie so it doesn't move at all.
    For Sale: Carputer (CarPC) & RCA Y-Adapter
    Newsflash: Take a look at my unsold stuff above, thanks!
    Up Next: Make an OBD to Serial cable & Redo the "MMI buttons"

  4. #4
    Newbie G20T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    37
    Wow really nice dude very creative.

  5. #5
    MySQL Error scott_fx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Los Angeles Ca
    Posts
    3,994
    very nice.
    New System in progress:
    M10k
    Phaze TD1500 ~> Dynaudio MD130
    Phaze TD1500 ~> Seas g18rnx/p
    Zapco Ref 500.1 ~ 12" tc-9
    Behringer DCX2496 ~ Envision Electronics psu
    Transflective Xenarc

    My Car Pc Install
    My Boat Pc worklog

  6. #6
    Calm
    Down
    Or
    Get
    A
    2
    Week
    Vacation
    -Love
    The
    Forum
    Policeman
    Wiredwrx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    3,605
    Hey DJik.

    I installed my M2 very similar to you.

    Instead, I ditched the Metal enclosure, and just drilled in some PC Board standoffs, to the sife of the enclosure, and mounted the M2 to the standoffs, basically, exactly where you mounted yours. Oh, and I upgraded the HD to 300+ gigs.

    Unit works like a champ.

    Thanks for the drivers way back when.

    Michael
    ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

  7. #7
    Maximum Bitrate DJiK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles (Winnetka), CA
    Posts
    864
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiredwrx View Post
    Hey DJik.

    I installed my M2 very similar to you.

    Instead, I ditched the Metal enclosure, and just drilled in some PC Board standoffs, to the sife of the enclosure, and mounted the M2 to the standoffs, basically, exactly where you mounted yours. Oh, and I upgraded the HD to 300+ gigs.

    Unit works like a champ.

    Thanks for the drivers way back when.

    Michael
    I'm glad to hear everything had worked out for you.

    Is your M2 well secured with only two inline mounting points?

    I'm doing OK with 160GBs over here...
    For Sale: Carputer (CarPC) & RCA Y-Adapter
    Newsflash: Take a look at my unsold stuff above, thanks!
    Up Next: Make an OBD to Serial cable & Redo the "MMI buttons"

  8. #8
    Maximum Bitrate DJiK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles (Winnetka), CA
    Posts
    864

    Amost Forgot...

    Thanks G20T and Scott for appreciating my effort.
    For Sale: Carputer (CarPC) & RCA Y-Adapter
    Newsflash: Take a look at my unsold stuff above, thanks!
    Up Next: Make an OBD to Serial cable & Redo the "MMI buttons"

  9. #9
    Neither darque nor pervert DarquePervert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Elsewhere
    Posts
    13,949
    Yeah. Definite kudos on that.
    Very slick.

    The power cord with the notch for a quick disconnect is a banner idea. It's a lot cleaner than the quick disconnects I made for my DSATX!
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?



    Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

  10. #10
    Car Audio Moderator durwood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Chicagoland (St. Charles,IL)
    Posts
    2,028
    Quote Originally Posted by DarquePervert View Post
    Yeah. Definite kudos on that.
    Very slick.

    The power cord with the notch for a quick disconnect is a banner idea. It's a lot cleaner than the quick disconnects I made for my DSATX!
    Same for me Nice job!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Engine Noise with M2 ATX
    By lucky1 in forum Power Supplies
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 08-26-2010, 08:04 PM
  2. M2 ATX - EN15000 - USB - Problems!
    By BulleDK in forum Power Supplies
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 12-28-2006, 03:29 PM
  3. Problem m2 atx and 3.5" hard drive
    By Mitski's Rider in forum Power Supplies
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-05-2006, 11:52 AM
  4. M2 ATX Power on problem
    By JWise1203 in forum Power Supplies
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-26-2006, 11:24 AM
  5. Powerin the LCD with the M2 atx
    By luckyno in forum LCD/Display
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-20-2006, 01:14 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •