Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Whats this stuff called please?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2005

    Whats this stuff called please?


    I am looking for a place to buy, or what at least this stuff is called:

    The outer black sheath; I have a bundle of cables I want to group together.
    I had no idea where to ask so thought I would start here.



  2. #2
    Neither darque nor pervert DarquePervert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004

    Techflex is a brand, mind you. It's "braided sleeving", and there are other brands.
    On Techflex's website, you can request a catalog, and they include cool samples with it.
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?

    Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

  3. #3
    Maximum Bitrate BarryWoods's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Wire loom.
    Failure is not an option....

    It's installed by default on every version of Windows.

  4. #4
    Fusion Brain Creator 2k1Toaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Colorado, but Canadian!
    I've also heard "braided cable sheathing".

    The more terms you have, the more options you will find to buy from.
    Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
    1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
    30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
    15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
    Buy now in the Store

  5. #5
    Maximum Bitrate seanz0rz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Cal Poly Pomona or Redlands, CA
    673 would probably sell it, among other great things...
    1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 in Evergreen Pearl Metallic, Lifted, Locked, and Armored. CarPc in custom console with molded touchscreen.
    Photobucket is being updated, if a picture i posted no longer works, please PM me.

  6. #6
    Variable Bitrate
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    396 as well

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Thank you all so much, I have now found some over here.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2001

  9. #9
    Maximum Bitrate
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    It's Industrial name is "Megamyte Sleeving"

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    I had already writen this when I noticed the OPs link to a power cord with a braided sheath so hopefully someone may find this info useful.

    About wire looms.
    Split Flex or Split Loom is split down its length so you can slip it over wires that have connectors already attached. This stuff is used in many cars usually in the trunk where wires could get damaged and needs to be flexible for door or trunk openings trunk where the wire has to flex with the hinge. Looks OEM and is quick on, quick off. Inexpensive at most electronics or electrical supply shops in many sizes.

    With Braid or Tech-Flex it's best to remove the connectors and use heat shrink tubing at each end of the braid to prevent fraying. Braid looks nice but is difficult to work with, frays easily and can get snagged. For really small wires there is a soft cloth braid that is used in electronics usually to insulate from heat or shorting bare leads - good stuff.

    Heatshrink is more for individual wires not for a loom but it is more of a permanent solution since once you've shrunk it, it has to be cut off with an xacto.

    Another type of loom is the spiral wrap. This coils around the wires and protects them from abrasion. This tends to bind the wires tightly so the loom may not be very flexible. There are hard plastic and soft plastic type wraps. The soft is common and is a pain in the ... to use and remove.

    Don't forget the zap straps

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Audio problems, Epia Sound, and FAQ stuff
    By gothate in forum Newbie
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-16-2005, 05:04 PM
  2. WTT Bass/Guitar Stuff for Carputer Stuff
    By screwmesa in forum Classified Archive
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-15-2005, 12:31 PM
  3. carpc related stuff at CeBit (computer exhibition)
    By psuter in forum General MP3Car Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-22-2005, 10:03 PM
  4. FS misc stuff
    By jimmythecow in forum Classified Archive
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 02-19-2005, 02:14 PM
  5. FS: stereo stuff and computer stuff
    By RedGTiVR6 in forum Classified Archive
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 01-25-2005, 06:45 PM


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts