Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Monitoring Wideband O2...Safe?

  1. #1
    Newbie protodelorean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    24

    Monitoring Wideband O2...Safe?

    I have a wideband O2 sensor connected to my car's ECM. The output of the wideband is 0-5V (perfect!) Is it safe to tap into that signal line and feed one of the FB's Analog inputs so that I can also display a gauge of the A/F ratio, or can the connection to the FB affect the signal that goes to the ECM?

    Thanks, Steve

  2. #2
    Newbie
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    29
    It may skew the readings to the ecu. Almost every wideband I have seen, or used, has a programmable output or a second output for an external gauge.....this can be used to feed the FB.

  3. #3
    Newbie protodelorean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by tom04841 View Post
    It may skew the readings to the ecu. Almost every wideband I have seen, or used, has a programmable output or a second output for an external gauge.....this can be used to feed the FB.
    Hmmm. That's what I was afraid of. I'm using the PLX wideband unit. It seems to have a single NB and and single WB output. I just shot PLX a note directly to see what they think.

    Thanks!

  4. #4
    North of the land of Hey Huns
    Auto Apps:loading...

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Westminster, MD
    Posts
    2,127
    If the impedance on the FB input is high enough in relation to the impedance the ECU is reading the sensor at, it should not vary the signal enough to many any significant difference. The question is... how do they compare? If you know the impedance of both inputs, you can actually figure out how much of a voltage drop it will cause, as that will essentially turn the circuit into a voltage divider.
    "stop with the REINSTALLS, what do you think we got some lame-o installer!!!" - mitchjs
    RevFE
    My Shop

  5. #5
    Fusion Brain Creator
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    2,221
    Quote Originally Posted by malcom2073 View Post
    If the impedance on the FB input is high enough in relation to the impedance the ECU is reading the sensor at, it should not vary the signal enough to many any significant difference. The question is... how do they compare? If you know the impedance of both inputs, you can actually figure out how much of a voltage drop it will cause, as that will essentially turn the circuit into a voltage divider.
    Yeah, it'd be good to use a voltage follower here.

  6. #6
    Newbie protodelorean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    24
    Holy crap! I'd never heard of a "voltage follower", but I just looked them up and that's exactly what I need. Any tips on components to put one together, keeping in mind my 0-5V signal range?

    Thanks for your help. I really appreciate it.

  7. #7
    Fusion Brain Creator
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    2,221
    Quote Originally Posted by protodelorean View Post
    Holy crap! I'd never heard of a "voltage follower", but I just looked them up and that's exactly what I need. Any tips on components to put one together, keeping in mind my 0-5V signal range?

    Thanks for your help. I really appreciate it.


    its just an op amp.

    http://electroniccircuitsforbeginner...r-circuit.html

  8. #8
    Raw Wave
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    2,118
    Apparently those PLXs are good for 20mA so I doubt any buffering is needed.
    What's the FB impedance - a few meg?

  9. #9
    Fusion Brain Creator
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    2,221
    its been a while, but I think PIC18F series input impedance is real low, like 3kohm

  10. #10
    Newbie protodelorean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by greenman100 View Post
    its been a while, but I think PIC18F series input impedance is real low, like 3kohm
    With my math that's 5V/3,000ohms = 1.7mA (if I did that right)

    If the PLX can handle 20mA, should I still be looking to buffer? (be gentle. I'm outside my specialty here.) : )

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Safe nLite setting.ini
    By IntellaWorks in forum WinNT Based
    Replies: 155
    Last Post: 02-03-2010, 06:41 AM
  2. Monitoring and ICE
    By IrishBoy1986 in forum Newbie
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-02-2007, 03:05 PM
  3. Safe Mode (M10000 Question)
    By MikeyTampa in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-17-2005, 10:16 AM
  4. Temp Monitoring?
    By mobileh1 in forum MediaCar
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-26-2004, 09:47 AM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-18-2004, 08:38 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •