Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ford Escape Carputer Kit (Reduced Price)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ford Escape Carputer Kit (Reduced Price)

Photos!

I sold my 2003 Ford Escape, but before doing so, I removed the carputer and I have all the pieces for an aspiring carputer owner ready to install.

The main highlight is an Escape center dash panel with a Transflective 8.4" monitor embedded. I meticulously worked with epoxy fillers, sanding, filling, sanding, painting, sanding some more, and repainting to get the product almost perfect. Some cutting of the dash (behind the center panel) is required to allow room for the back of the monitor.

In the bezel, I also have a mini thumb-keyboard on a retractable usb cable for quick entry, as well as the eye for a larger IR wireless keyboard/mouse (included).

I'm including the modified "cheesebox" (which automatically switches the vga signal to the backup camera), and a backup camera with a crude mounting bracket that I made.

Also included the the lower dash console for compatible Escapes which includes a USB slimline slot-loading DVD burner, a USB hub, some great switches to control functionality, and a frame to install a single DIN radio. The three 3-position switches and included relays, I had set to On-Auto-Off for the PC, Display, & backup video respectively.

I've been through a few generations of computers and displays over the years. Believe me, the transflective display makes all the difference in the world.

$175 +shipping

Thanks for looking
    Last edited by Zoltan; 07-14-2012, 02:42 PM. Reason: reduced price
    '03 Escape 4WD:
    -iTox mini-itx mobo, Core 2 Duo Mobile 1.66Ghz; 2GB, 80GB 2.5" HD, DS-ATX
    -Transflective 8.4"
    -XM, iG4, OBD-II (BR-3)
    -Rearview camera with auto-switching (modified cheesbox)
    -Slim Slot DVD+RW
    -RR, DFX 4

Hi all,

I'll be out of contact for about 3 weeks starting on Saturday or Sunday evening, so if anyone is seriously interested, and doesn't want to wait until mid-July, please say so, so I can ship these parts out with no delay.
    '03 Escape 4WD:
    -Transflective 8.4"
    -XM, iG4, OBD-II (BR-3)
    -Slim Slot DVD+RW
    -RR, DFX 4

Comment

This kit is still for sale.

I'll probably go to ebay soon if no one here is interested.
      '03 Escape 4WD:
      -Transflective 8.4"
      -XM, iG4, OBD-II (BR-3)
      -Slim Slot DVD+RW
      -RR, DFX 4

Comment

I've had such great experience with MP3Car over the years, I'd like to give forum members preference. With that in mind, I've decided to reduce my asking price to $450 or best reasonable offer. I'll give it a little more time before opening this up to eBay.
        '03 Escape 4WD:
        -Transflective 8.4"
        -XM, iG4, OBD-II (BR-3)
        -Slim Slot DVD+RW
        -RR, DFX 4

Comment

bump!
          '03 Escape 4WD:
          -Transflective 8.4"
          -XM, iG4, OBD-II (BR-3)
          -Slim Slot DVD+RW
          -RR, DFX 4

Comment

Well, I finally got around to putting this on eBay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...#ht_658wt_1185

If you're a forum member and are interested in bidding, let me know, and I'll apply a forum discount after the auction's over.
            Last edited by Zoltan; 11-06-2011, 01:53 PM.
            '03 Escape 4WD:
            -Transflective 8.4"
            -XM, iG4, OBD-II (BR-3)
            -Slim Slot DVD+RW
            -RR, DFX 4

Comment

I can't believe no one is interested in this transflective monitor. Even if you consider it a frameless display, it's got to be worth more than I'm asking.

I just relisted it on ebay with a second price drop.
              '03 Escape 4WD:
              -Transflective 8.4"
              -XM, iG4, OBD-II (BR-3)
              -Slim Slot DVD+RW
              -RR, DFX 4

Comment

Update! It's no longer on eBay. After 3 auctions, there's plenty of watchers, but no bids.

I'd be happy to hear any feedback on why y'all think there's no interest. I guess my target market is just too extremely small. Asking too much?

Final price drop! $175 +shipping

Take care, folks.
                '03 Escape 4WD:
                -Transflective 8.4"
                -XM, iG4, OBD-II (BR-3)
                -Slim Slot DVD+RW
                -RR, DFX 4

Comment

Moved to Shreveport, Louisiana. Local pickup is available to interested buyers.
                  '03 Escape 4WD:
                  -Transflective 8.4"
                  -XM, iG4, OBD-II (BR-3)
                  -Slim Slot DVD+RW
                  -RR, DFX 4

Comment

Christmas bills should be almost paid up, and it's Presidents' Day!! Sounds like a good time to buy a Carputer kit.
                    '03 Escape 4WD:
                    -Transflective 8.4"
                    -XM, iG4, OBD-II (BR-3)
                    -Slim Slot DVD+RW
                    -RR, DFX 4

Comment

can you post some info on the screen like who makes it and specs if possible?

Comment

Yeah, sure. Sorry about that... I could have sworn that I had listed it, but it must have been in a PM.

I just added two additional pictures to the Webalbum.

I'm pretty sure it's basically a Lilliput monitor, but it's an unbranded OEM version that has been modified by "Motor City Technologies" with transflective enhancements.

It's 800x600 but supports input resolutions up to 1024x768 via VGA cable.

I paid $518.89.

Cheers.
                        '03 Escape 4WD:
                        -Transflective 8.4"
                        -XM, iG4, OBD-II (BR-3)
                        -Slim Slot DVD+RW
                        -RR, DFX 4

Comment

I saw that you pieced out parts of the system (second battery, gps,..). What are you now including in the Escape package? And what else would be required for a functioning and reliable carputer? How difficult is the removal of the old system and the installation of the new system for someone new to carputers (ie how much am I going to screw up when I attempt to install)?

Sorry for all the questions but this would be my first adventure into modding my car.
                          Last edited by FEscape; 02-24-2012, 11:36 AM.

Comment

No problem. Ask lots of questions.

I split everything I had into three kits from the beginning. Everything listed in the first post is still included.

You'll still need a small form-factor PC with a power supply intended for carputing. The second battery is optional.
                            '03 Escape 4WD:
                            -Transflective 8.4"
                            -XM, iG4, OBD-II (BR-3)
                            -Slim Slot DVD+RW
                            -RR, DFX 4

Comment

Do you accept Paypal payments?

Comment

Working...
                              X