Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

5 Speed PC New Breed of In-Vehicle Computers!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5 Speed PC New Breed of In-Vehicle Computers!

Hey guys... just wanted to post a link to our main site / forum if anyone is interested. We've got a new breed of PC that makes installing them in your car a very slick process. These all-in-one units are DC powered so no inverter necessary. Check us out if you get a chance, and feel free to ask any questions!!

5 Speed PC Main Page

5 Speed PC Online Community Forum

Hope to see you all there, and as always good luck with your projects!
    Scott Byers, President 5 Speed PC
    www.5speedpc.com

Welcome to mp3car's community. I hope that you join in as an active participant in our forums. Since you're a commercial project for profit, I would like to direct you to a recent announcement by one of our moderators. link:
    http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...threadid=12399

And now for a couple of questions related to your project:

1) What makes your project unique from somebody buying similar parts and then using one of our developer's free projects, like Media Engine, or Auto-Play?

2) On your "starter packages" page, you list several packages priced around $1200. What does that $1200 get you, exactly?

3) If you choose not to buy a touch screen, how do you control your software?

4a) Is your product currently shipping?

4b) If not, is your software available to us on a beta-test basis?

5) What do you think you can contribute to this forum as a member, and what do you hope to take away with you?

6) Why isn't your webpage complete? (just ribbing you on this one)

So thanks in advance for answering these. Perhaps you'll be sitting on the next Empeg =)

Comment

I didn't close this tread, I don't know who did and I don't care. I opened it back up because I am interested to read the replies.

My goal here is not to suppress or attempt to censer what's out there. With the Cobra situation, this forum had previously endorsed the software by providing a dedicated forum for it. When Cobra went commercial, I no longer felt an obligation to endorse the software.

Comment

I'd like to know what your general attitude is towards people who join for strictly commercial purposes (like what you were talking about in your previous post)

I have no problem with 5-Speed PC or its members either. I just wish that people would make more informed statements before firmly wedging their shoes down their throats.

Comment

And now for a couple of questions related to your project:

1) What makes your project unique from somebody buying similar parts and then using one of our developer's free projects, like Media Engine, or Auto-Play?

2) On your "starter packages" page, you list several packages priced around $1200. What does that $1200 get you, exactly?

3) If you choose not to buy a touch screen, how do you control your software?

4a) Is your product currently shipping?

4b) If not, is your software available to us on a beta-test basis?

5) What do you think you can contribute to this forum as a member, and what do you hope to take away with you?

6) Why isn't your webpage complete? (just ribbing you on this one)

So thanks in advance for answering these. Perhaps you'll be sitting on the next Empeg =) [/B]
          Ok, I'd like to answer some of these questions as they are pretty common.

1. Nothing truly separates our product from what an enthusiast like many of the people here are, could purchase separately. Aside from the QuickLaunch software offered with the package, and the manuals/install guides that we furnish, there is little that separates it from what someone could purchase on their own. What does separate us, is that we're dedicated to helping people who don't have all of the incredible technical abilities that most people have here! All of our products come pre-loaded with an os, and all the accompanying software installed, comes with operation manuals, as well as proper installation manuals. Basically it's just taking the mystery out of how to set up a complete system in your car. Undeniably, the systems themselves aren't for everyone. They're not for the people who have some of the insanely complex stuff that's done here. Who it is for, is the people who don't have the time, nor the inclination to do this type of project from the ground-up themselves. It's for the travelling business man, for the insurance adjustor, it's for the car fanatic that doesn't have any electrical or computer know how. We're just doing our best to offer these systems to everyone that doesn't want to make a possible hobby into an on-going project.

2. The packages are all catered to a certain type of user. One package has a system w/ OBD-II Interface/software. One has GPS, one has the highest end possible for Video/games, and one is a basic system for say, a mobile office type setup. These systems all include the QuickLaunch sofware, and WindowsXP Home OEM Installed. We did not package any LCD's with the systems because not everyone will need the same LCD. We just figured it'd be easier to give people a basic package and let them choose the peripherals. These systems also come with a Roll-up keyboard, and 1 year warrantee.

3. If people choose not to purchase a touch-screen (which many will not) then we have some other options. Optical trackball, touchpad... we even have a couple of protoype units that we're working with from Cirque... One being a hidden-mount adhesive touchpad that adhere's to a surface up to 2mm thick. The opposite side that it's stuck to them becomes the touch surface. The other item is a combo touchpad/mini keyboard. The keyboard layout is printed onto the touch surface, and one touch-sensitive area turns it from a touch pad into a mini keyboard. It's pretty neat stuff. We've also toyed with the microController that I've seen mentioned in some threads here. (Little knobby mouse thing)

4. Yes, our product is currently shipping. We've had a little delay in some availabilty of the 7.0" VGA Touch panels, but all our backordered items we were assured shipped either yesterday or will on Monday.

4b. While the product is shipping, I would be willing to offer our software on a beta-test basis, but in a limited fashion as it is a copyrighted piece of work. We have some items that we're currently addressing, but we do offer our users free upgrades to newer versions as soon as they become available. It's important to note that this software is only supported by WindowsXP or 2000. (it may run on 98/ME but we have not tested it as we do not plan on supporting those OS's)

5. I think that I can contribute some of the trials / errors that I've made, as well as offer some advice to people who are not as inclined as most users here. I am a software engineer by trade, so I may offer ideas or help to people who are working on side projects. I hope to widen my range of possibilities to offer to people by reading what people are doing, and I also hope to gain the respect of the community of people who are doing projects parallel to our efforts. There's a lot of great stuff out there that people are comming across every day, I'd like to be a part of a community dedicated to finding this kind of stuff.

6. The webpage Rib is well taken. We've just been so busy lately that I've had very little time to dedicate to making the webpage a complete site. Hopefully in the very near future we will have all areas up and running.

I'd like to thank Crazy for posting the quetsions. I look forward to speaking with all of you at some point about one topic or another. Hope to see you on our forums sometime.

-

edit: Ya, I need a spellchecker sometimes.
          www.5speedpc.com

Comment

Originally posted by w|tch
            we even have a couple of protoype units that we're working with from Cirque... One being a hidden-mount adhesive touchpad that adhere's to a surface up to 2mm thick. The opposite side that it's stuck to them becomes the touch surface. The other item is a combo touchpad/mini keyboard. The keyboard layout is printed onto the touch surface, and one touch-sensitive area turns it from a touch pad into a mini keyboard. It's pretty neat stuff.

The sooner we see these the better! especially the hidden touch pad, that's gonna be trick!

Dave

Comment

We are actually able to get them now. PM me for more info, I don't want to post product info for something that we're selling here in the forum. There's also some notices about it in our forum.
              www.5speedpc.com

Comment

how about you offer one person on this forum a copy of the software in exchange for writing a comprehensive review w/screenshots and an in-depth comparison to other packages available.
                Car: 1999 Dark Green Mustang GT Coupe
                Audio: Alpine HU, JL 6ch Amp, JL Stealthbox and XR series components.
                Player: Empeg for now; something custom later.
                www.neotechpc.com - Custom built laptops!

Comment

Do you sell an all in one package not just a mobile office package, performance package, navigation package?
                  NEW complete and updated My project with 100+ pics on 7-4-03
                  If you have a Shuttle FV24 motherboard in perfect working condition for sale, please PM me.

Comment

Originally posted by thenominous

The sooner we see these the better! especially the hidden touch pad, that's gonna be trick!

http://www.cirque.com/products/gmk100.html

How much?

http://www.cirque.com/products/glide.html

How much?

C!
                    http://carpc.riposte.net
                    I reserve all rights in connection to each post I author, without exception.

Comment

dam those little keyboard look kool i so how much
                      my truck has the older odb interface so i guess i keep using what i got then
                      WINNER!!!!
                      run-on sentance comp 2002!!
                      :)

Comment

quote from IM conversation with switch:

-{UDG}-w|tch: ya, the glide sensors (hidden touchpads) are $109 that includes shippin'
                        -{UDG}-w|tch: the mini keyboards are 189 including shipping

damn they do look nice though. and that glidetouch would work perfect in my new center councel concealed under the vinyl.
                        "if everything is under control, you're not going fast enough!"

Comment

So how would one go about using the glide sensors? It makes a specific area touch capable, and then you ahve to map it via software?

birrman54

Comment

it works just like a touchpad on a laptop. it functions like a mouse.
                            "if everything is under control, you're not going fast enough!"

Comment

oh, that makes much more sense. Yea that's pretty cool.

birrman54

Comment

Working...
                              X