Wanted: Touch LCD >= 5"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wanted: Touch LCD >= 5"

I'm looking to buy a touch LCD. If anyone has one for sale or knows of a good place to buy one please drop a line.

I'm hoping to spend around $300 or I guess less would be better. Is this doable?

Thanks.
    [email protected]
    If we're not supposed to eat animals, why are they made of meat?

http://ns1.unitedserviceapps.net/lcdkitcontroller.html

that link sells vga lcd's. I havent bought one from them myself but someone on here highly recommended them. You can find a touch interface for around $100 or so I think. Therefore, you can come in right around your $300 budget. Good luck. Let us know how it works out.
    The Grand aMP3 Project
    Car: 96 Pontiac Grand Am
    Current Setup: AMD K62 300MHz, 64MB DIMM RAM, 20GB WD Hard Drive, Basic Video & Sound

Comment

Originally posted by grandamp3
      http://ns1.unitedserviceapps.net/lcdkitcontroller.html

that link sells vga lcd's. I havent bought one from them myself but someone on here highly recommended them. You can find a touch interface for around $100 or so I think. Therefore, you can come in right around your $300 budget. Good luck. Let us know how it works out.
      I'm impressed. just looked up the 8.4" SVGA kit. not bad for 190USD, just need to see if they can ship to the UK, and accept non US VISA or Mastercards.
      4x4 in a turbo stylee.

Comment

I've checked out that site. Pretty reasonable prices. Now, if I do go ahead and buy the 8.4" SVGA kit, what will I need for a touch screen overlay? Your help is appreciated everyone.
        If we're not supposed to eat animals, why are they made of meat?

Comment

Well, i've found that they will ship to the UK.

Just need to fax back a credit card auth form, wait for them to calculate shipping, then wait for them to get the controller in, because they are out of stock for the next 3 weeks
          4x4 in a turbo stylee.

Comment

Hmm, well I wouldn't consider the 8.4" displays suitable for in car use with only 150cd/m. The 6.4" is considerably better, but it is a 'bit' more expensive too...

Yesterday I found another 8.4" high brightness SVGA TFT, it is made by Corona and distributed by Trident Displays. They claim a brightness of 1400cdm! Unfortunately it's price is about just as much! (display EUR 959, inverter EUR 139 and 19% VAT)

white bream
            working on a trilogy: CARGO - UNIGO - MERGO
            CARGO = the Car Computer
            Intel Celeron M, [P]SDC, uBlox GPS, GPRS, WLAN, Silabs FM, RDS, TMC,
            Dual-audio, Onecable TFT, Microsize: 45 x 108 x 168mm (1.8 x 4.3 x 6.6")

Comment

Originally posted by henkbliek
              Hmm, well I wouldn't consider the 8.4" displays suitable for in car use with only 150cd/m. The 6.4" is considerably better, but it is a 'bit' more expensive too...

Yesterday I found another 8.4" high brightness SVGA TFT, it is made by Corona and distributed by Trident Displays. They claim a brightness of 1400cdm! Unfortunately it's price is about just as much! (display EUR 959, inverter EUR 139 and 19% VAT)
              I agree, that the brighness is awful, but you either pay aquite a bit more for a smaller screen, or a lot more for the same sized screen.

Do you think my proposed method of backlighting could be made to work without washing out the screen colour completley? Wonder if sufficient change to the contrast could be made to counter it.
              4x4 in a turbo stylee.

Comment

contrast ratio is a performance capability of the LCD panel. you cant change it.

except by getting a better lcd panel.

~Mike
                Single Member of the "1000 Post and No MP3 Car" Club
                PROJECT ON INDEFINATE HOLD... BOUGHT A HOUSE
                2000 Cavalier Z24 [###-------] Only 30% Done ... Still

Comment

Originally posted by mp3z24
                  contrast ratio is a performance capability of the LCD panel. you cant change it.

except by getting a better lcd panel.

~Mike
                  I realise that, but most have some kind of adjustment as part of the controller don't they?
                  4x4 in a turbo stylee.

Comment

Does anyone have any experience with the above mentioned 8.4" SVGA kit from unitedserviceapps. Can the tft model display in high color. How would you rate the quality of it. Isn't it really cheap at 190$ comparing to the xenarc 7" VGA screens. The price difference is huge but according to the specs there shouldn't be much of a quality difference except the low brightness.

Comment

their SVGA panels they are offering in the kits are only 6 bit panels. not very vivid. also, with only 100-150 nits brighness, daytime car use is pointless. add a touchscreen, you loose about 20% brightness, so forget about viewing anything except at night. too dim.
                      rule of thumb applies. you get what you pay for. if you are going to bother with the time and expense of putting a computer in your car, spend the extra $$ for a screen you can actually use.
                      18 bit, and at least 300 nits bright.
                      just my opinion, but we know the saying about that

Comment

We are in the process of designing an 8.4" VGA touchscreen high brightness (>250) lcd with some nice mounting options. I'll keep everyone up to date. Oh, and cheap.

Dave
                        Old School MP3CAR.com member!

Comment

Originally posted by dscustoms Oh, and cheap.
                          What does that mean exactly ?
                          [H]4 Life
                          My next generation Front End is right on schedule.
                          It will be done sometime in the next generation.
                          I'm a lesbian too.
                          I am for hire!

Comment

Working...
                          X