FS: 704MB IDE Solid State Drives

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FS: 704MB IDE Solid State Drives

I have a bunch of these so Ill throw in an extra drive for free, or sell individuals for $60

I Have a quantity of M-Systems solid state drives available. These are not your typical flash drives many of you may be using. These Drives have an onboard 386 that manages the read/write process to substantialy increase
    transfer speeds. Here is a list of some pertinent specs

ATA-3 with DMA 0-2 and PIO 0-4 transfer modes
    16.7 MBytes/sec burst read/write rate
    8.3-8.7 MBytes/sec sustained read rate (DMA 2)
    8.0-12.0 MBytes/sec sustained write rate (DMA 2)
    Quick security erase in seconds
    Sanitize confidential data, comply with NISPOM DoD 5220.22-M, NSA 130-2,Air Force AFSSI 5020, Army 380-19 and Navy NAVSO P-5239-26
    TrueFFS® technology
    >5,000,000 Write/Erase cycles, unlimited Read
    Enhanced endurance by dynamic wear-leveling
    SMART (Self-Monitoring, Analysis and Reporting Technology)
    Data integrity under unstable power conditions
    MIL-STD 810F and NEBS Level 3 compliant

Power
    Input voltage: 5VDC (4.75-5.25V range)
    Typical power consumption for 10GB unit
    Standby mode: 320mA (1.6 W)
    Idle mode: 450mA (2.2 W)
    Sustained read/write: 550mA (2.8 W)
    Sanitize secure erase/fill mode: 590mA (2.9 W)

The above specs were taken directly off m-systems website. follow this link
    for more information
    http://www.m-systems.com/Content/Pro...uct.asp?pid=26
    Seeing as how I have a large quantity available Im selling for a reasonable price of $100, which includes shipping to any us zip code.

These drives are 100% working pulls from in flight entertainment systems with less than 6 months use. They were removed for product upgrade to larger capacity drives.

Please feel free to contact me with any questions.
    [email protected]

$100 for 3/4 gig? Seems pricey for a cool solution.

Many of us have a spare drive in a box somewhere that is alreay paid for.
    Also the size makes it an OS only item, not really good for the multiple Gigs of music that we either have or are interested in.

Good luck, I am curiuos what others will say.
    TruckinMP3
    D201GLY2, DC-DC power, 3.5 inch SATA

Yes, you should search... and Yes, It has been covered before!

Read the FAQ!

Comment

Sounds very interesting, But the 750mb thing is a little problem since I like to have my installed program on the same drive as my OS. I keep my MP3's on a seperate drive anyway, but i require a minimum of 1.5 gb for my main drive. Cool idea though.

Comment

DJ2Fast: can't get a 1.5 or 2 Gb one? I fully agree with night hunter about the minimal size and alternate drive for MP3.
        -Mars

Comment

Those burst and sustained transfer rates don't look any better than a modern standard IDE drive. Am I missing something here? Is it all about seek? If so then I doubt it would speed up booting much.

Comment

Drive size

yea thats the only drawback with these drives. believe me I wish they were larger as well. however you could play hockey with the things with no problem at all. I was hoping that someone could find a use for them as os only drives or something similar. If you went out and tried to buy these drives or something similar your looking at about $700 dollars

Comment

A windows 'Lite' install should fit on one of these. http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=16633

Comment

re: none

Its really not about the the data throughput, although the seek is instant. the primary benefit of these is that you could kick them around on the floor while they are running , or run them at insane temps without a glitch. compact flash could do the same thing, however the write cycles of cf are substantialy less. I have been using on of these in a laptop I use every day for about 5 months with no problems. also the "smart" will warn you long before any problems.

Comment

Originally posted by dj2fast
                  Its really not about the the data throughput, although the seek is instant. the primary benefit of these is that you could kick them around on the floor while they are running , or run them at insane temps without a glitch. compact flash could do the same thing, however the write cycles of cf are substantialy less. I have been using on of these in a laptop I use every day for about 5 months with no problems. also the "smart" will warn you long before any problems.

Comment

Originally posted by dj2fast
                    Sorry for the post above, made a mistake, my bad...
                    $30.00 and Ill give it a shot. I just can't see spending $60.00 for something I am un-sure of. PM me Im serious..

Comment

flash drives

ok, check your messages

Comment

Don't know much about these drives either. I'll give it a shot at $30 as well.

Originally posted by NightHunter
                        Sorry for the post above, made a mistake, my bad...
                        $30.00 and Ill give it a shot. I just can't see spending $60.00 for something I am un-sure of. PM me Im serious..

Comment

$30 a piece

Seems alot of people are interested in these, but think the price Is high. I can take lower than im advertising, but I will have to do it on a case by case basis. Please PM me if you would like to make a deal.

Comment

how many of those do you have?
                            -Mars

Comment

Could you put two of these in a raid setup to get more capacity?

Comment

Working...
                              X