Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Want to have installed a car computer in the NJ area

i'm in north jersey, union county area

i posted before in the "show off your stuff" forum and everyone complained and it got closed.

any way i want to have a setup installed in my car

most important thing is that it is clean and professional looking.

we would probably have to exchange ideas as i don't have a definate idea in mind. also i would buy all the parts, so just if you do this type of work just give me an estimate for the installation.

thanks

i would think it would very a lot.. like do you need a custom dash made or such. Post more info about what you want as your setup
    '98 Explorer Sport
    http://mp3car.zcentric.com (down atm)
    AMD 800mhz 192megs RAM 60gig hard drive 9 inch widescreen VGA
    80% done

Comment

Originally posted by Jump0ff

i posted before in the "show off your stuff" forum and everyone complained and it got closed.
      yeah, sorry bout that.
      Debt as of 1/1/05: $34,354.48
      Debt as of July 4, 2007: $0.00 explanation
      I'M DEBT FREE!!
      I'm now a reasonably successful gunblogger.

Comment

any way i want to have a setup installed in my car

most important thing is that it is clean and professional looking.

we would probably have to exchange ideas as i don't have a definate idea in mind. also i would buy all the parts, so just if you do this type of work just give me an estimate for the installation.

thanks
        1500$ for installation,

Comment

$150 an hour plus travel time.
          ODYSSEY

Originally posted by Tidder
          Hey, as long as it's not any particular race I'm offending, I can stand to be a pedophile.
          All information expressed in this post is my opinion, and should not be regarded as a statement of fact.
          Digital-Car UK|

(\__/)
          (='.'=)
          (")_(")

Comment

c'mon guys...he's suffered enough. If he buys all the parts and its a pretty standard (ie, no fabrication involved) installation, $400 ought to about cover it. If he wants the thing fiberglassed into his hood with a heads-up display and sharks with friggin lasers, then $2000 would be about right.
            Debt as of 1/1/05: $34,354.48
            Debt as of July 4, 2007: $0.00 explanation
            I'M DEBT FREE!!
            I'm now a reasonably successful gunblogger.

Comment

well i don't know exactly what standard is, al the mods seem significantly different

but touchscreen, usb hard drive, mini comp box stashed away in the back somewhere, something like that.

how much do parts usually cost anyway?

Comment

like I said it all depends. I would say a standard setup with a vga touchscreen and a mini-itx mobo is gonna run you $600 for everything. Thats a general ballpark number.. then it all depends how you want to install the lcd.. is it gonna be on a stand or do you want something in your dash

I also cleaned this thread up. There is no need to turn this into a joke. He asked a good question
                '98 Explorer Sport
                http://mp3car.zcentric.com (down atm)
                AMD 800mhz 192megs RAM 60gig hard drive 9 inch widescreen VGA
                80% done

Comment

well i don't know exactly what standard is, al the mods seem significantly different

but touchscreen, usb hard drive, mini comp box stashed away in the back somewhere, something like that.

with high end parts(things u should be using)
                  here is general pricing.

(brand new of coures)
                  Screen 450$
                  Power Supply 200$
                  Computer (500$ which will include ur dvd, hard drive motheborad)
                  GPS 100$

shipping for the items from various places, i would say your looking at another 100-150$

your parts will cost approx 1500$ give or take
                  now of course depending on your vehicle and how its layed out, and if you want fiber glassing and so on, price of installation can go up,
                  if u want a basic setup (no in-dash screen) and so in,
                  its a lot cheaper as it is less time consuming.

hope that helps,
                  and FYI i wasnt joking when i said 1500$ for installation (considering i will buy a ticket there, just for fun)

Comment

You should at least try DYI.

I'm no expert and no where near it...but I did manage to make mines look very decent.

And If I take some more time to it...I'll bet I can make it even better looking...

So you should at least take your time with this...I bet your Car is your prize possession, so why let other guys touch it?

Just take it slowly one step at a time...Research the items you want first.

Then just take 1 long weekend to set it up.

I'm currently learning to Bondo and fiberglass so when the weather is warmer, I'll redo my setup to make it look more OEM.

Comment

between 600-1500 for parts depending on the quality doesn't sound too bad, ebay is a wonderful thing

i was definately thinking to have it installed into the dash, i haven't seen any mounted installs, do they look as good as the in dash?

i would love to learn how to do this stuff, but it's pretty intimidating without someone experienced to help you out in person. i don't wanna mess up my dash.

i haven't gotten my new car yet, i'm waiting on some insurance money from my old one. but i'm really leaning towards a 2003 or 2004 celica.

Comment

between 600-1500 for parts depending on the quality doesn't sound too bad, ebay is a wonderful thing

i was definately thinking to have it installed into the dash, i haven't seen any mounted installs, do they look as good as the in dash?

i would love to learn how to do this stuff, but it's pretty intimidating without someone experienced to help you out in person. i don't wanna mess up my dash.

i haven't gotten my new car yet, i'm waiting on some insurance money from my old one. but i'm really leaning towards a 2003 or 2004 celica.
                        most of the people here have no experience off the bat,
                        you just got to play with it
                        order a extra dash part (where uw ant it isntalled) with ur car
                        and mess with that, if you mess it up, u dont lose anything, u still have ur original.
                        thats the way to do it, get a extra part and play with that

Comment

maybe i will do that but i'm gonna check some shops for prices, seems no one here is really interested.

Comment

maybe i will do that but i'm gonna check some shops for prices, seems no one here is really interested.
                            I'm sure that people here are interested... they're just trying to offer advice on how best to save you some money.

My advice is to do the actual computer install yourself (if you're computer-litterate, this part is no harder that installing an amp), and look around for prices on getting the LCD custom mounted in your dash. I'd expect there not to be any standard price for custom work like that, so it's good advice to shop around... you might find a very good deal.

This is, of course, if you're unwilling to take a crack at it yourself. A lot of the guys here have had no experience with fiberglass/bondo before attempting this, and their finished cars came out looking amazing. And there's nothing like the satisfaction of having done something awesome yourself.

Also, remember... if you get stuck with anything during the install, I've found this forum to be a collection of very wise people, always willing to offer tips/help.

Comment

Working...
                            X