Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1gb and 2gb compact flash cards for cheap at

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 1gb and 2gb compact flash cards for cheap at

    Just saw it
    thought I would share it
    I didn't look for the 1gb, I'm sure you'll find it
    but here is the 2gb buy.com
    BossTone74

  • #2
    damn thats cheap

    Comment


    • #3
      That is the cheapest that I have ever seen a 2 gubbuh CF card and a good brand also!!
      Carputer currently 'ghettoed' into car!!!

      EPIA MII-12000
      Ampie Case with rigged extra USB
      Hitachi 60GB
      Holux GPS mouse with iGuidance 2.0
      Lilliput 7" touchscreen
      Netgear WG121 USB WiFi
      Carnetix P1260

      Comment


      • #4
        makes you kind of wonder why its so cheap, yah know? plus they are not available; they have a 3-5 day ETA before shipping.
        "If it works this good why F with it?" -KMFDM "Intro"

        Strive for ethical wardriving: http://faq.wardrive.net/

        My CarCPUs: v1 - 2000 | v2 - 2004
        Mp3Car Meets: http://detrimental.org/eyecandy/MP3CarMeets

        Comment


        • #5
          That IS cheap (this week at least). I wonder how this would perform in my DRebel?
          My Install Thread
          digitaljetta.com

          MKIV VW Jetta
          How do I get sound to my car?

          Comment


          • #6
            are these kinds of memory devices bootable?

            for example could I install my OS to it? would it help performance wise?

            Comment


            • #7
              with the right adapter, yes they are bootable. Performance wise, they don't have any moving parts so they are more ruggid. But, they have limited right cycles so you may want to put a read-only OS on them..
              Check out my hopefully useful site...

              www.hobbybotics.com

              It's still under design but it is functional

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by brooksware2000
                with the right adapter, yes they are bootable. Performance wise, they don't have any moving parts so they are more ruggid. But, they have limited right cycles so you may want to put a read-only OS on them..
                Gotta agree with that one. Although I've found that the write cycles are usually a pretty decent number, somewhere in the 1000's.

                What I'm planning on doing is having a CF boot drive and a hard drive for storage.

                NOW...the question for all you tech heads out there. What all of Windows 98 would have to be changed to make it a read only OS??

                More to the point, other than the pagefile.sys and the temp directories, what else would have to be changed to a D:\ to keep the write cycles down to a minimum??

                Please discuss...

                Mind Scream out
                Mind Scream out

                Comment


                • #9
                  I think that should about do it. The biggest issue would be with an XP install since it costantly writes to the HDD. I've been testing a stripped down version of WinME for like 2 months and have not had a problem with it.
                  Check out my hopefully useful site...

                  www.hobbybotics.com

                  It's still under design but it is functional

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by brooksware2000
                    I think that should about do it. The biggest issue would be with an XP install since it costantly writes to the HDD. I've been testing a stripped down version of WinME for like 2 months and have not had a problem with it.
                    Well, put this on a CF card, and your CF card will die, sooner or later. And I think it 'll be very soon. Windows always uses a swap file, and writes/reads it constantly.

                    U could -however- use XP Embedded, with the EWF write filter. This allows to use the CF card read-only.
                    Needstorage
                    --------------------------

                    Who the hell is general failure?!?
                    And what the f@#k is he doing reading my drive C:\?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Ditto to the advice from Needstorage on XP embeded... I just downloaded it... It looks like the best solution for anyone planning to install to a solid state device. The only problem is... the available version to download is a trial version, but its fully functional, just with a time limitation. Here is the link: http://msdn.microsoft.com/embedded/usewinemb/xp/
                      -LekanB

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by LekanB
                        The only problem is... the available version to download is a trial version, but its fully functional, just with a time limitation. Here is the link: http://msdn.microsoft.com/embedded/usewinemb/xp/
                        -LekanB
                        True... But I didn't bump onto the time-limitation yet, because I'm still in the progress of tweaking and adding support/hw/sw to my image. I'm gonna look into the options of buying a license when I install my complete setup.
                        Needstorage
                        --------------------------

                        Who the hell is general failure?!?
                        And what the f@#k is he doing reading my drive C:\?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          for that price, the new Rio Carbon MP3 players have a 5GB CF card. Just rip the thing open and grab the card.
                          I'm gonna get one for a boot XP Embedded CF card..

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by mindscream
                            Gotta agree with that one. Although I've found that the write cycles are usually a pretty decent number, somewhere in the 1000's.

                            What I'm planning on doing is having a CF boot drive and a hard drive for storage.

                            NOW...the question for all you tech heads out there. What all of Windows 98 would have to be changed to make it a read only OS??

                            More to the point, other than the pagefile.sys and the temp directories, what else would have to be changed to a D:\ to keep the write cycles down to a minimum??

                            Please discuss...

                            Mind Scream out
                            DO NOT use a CF card for booting. Very bad idea. Go with a IDE flash hard drive. Very durable and long lasting. Plus boot time is increased as well, I use one in my system and my boot time is about 30seconds from pressing the power button to mediacar menu. I did not use any windows modifying programs or anything either, so I imagine that boot time could still be decreased.
                            just a little FYI for this guy....
                            You can still have something if you have nothing

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X