Neat Little Touch Computers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neat Little Touch Computers

I have a few small computers laying around that may be of interest to some of you.
    theyre made by a company called intermec, and the model is a norand 6642 PenKey.
    I'm guessing they were originally designed as kind of a cross between data aquisition and a small notebook.

they are just little ruggedized tablet pc's.

processor is an intel mobile celeron 266, they have i think 128 megs of ram and a 4 gig harddrive. (i swapped the drive in one of them to a 60gig and it worked just fine.. you just have to use the slim drives)

the video is 800x600 not sure how many colors.
    they have built in sound.
    they have a builtin keypad with tab, space, backspace, esc, enter, numbers and arrows
    they have a builtin pcmcia slot
    they have builtin usb port (only 1.1 i think) but ive plugged lots of different stuff in mine and it all seems to work fine
    they have a built in modem (never tried to use one of them so i dont know how fast)

the touch screen is the kind you can touch with your finger (i dont know what it's called)

they run windows98 (i have one running xp, and it does ok, but i cant find touchscreen drivers or sound drivers for it)

i had one of these in my truck for about 6 months before i finished up the epia and lilliput rig, i used my own mp3 software on it and delorme street atlas with a usb gps, usb keyboard, and usb bluetooth dongle.
    i had this this thing surfing the web, instant messaging, navigating and playing music, it's not super fast, but it did all of that stuff just fine.

i'm trying to figure out stuff to do with these things.
    and there are enough of them, if anybody's interested i might sell some of em

Just let me know..

thanks..

[email protected]

http://www.currentdirections.com/images/im6642.jpg

Pic?

Comment

http://www.martymoe.info/images/P0002139.JPG

the one in your picture doesnt look as dusty as the one in mine, but i'm pretty sure they are the same model.

Comment

how much are you asking for one?
        Cheap Laptop, great for Carputer!

Comment

i dont really know.. here's what im thinking..

i'll give ya 3 of em
          1 working (i will make sure it's good before i put it in the box)
          2 with broken screens for parts
          an ac adapter
          a car adapter
          a floppy drive with the keyboard/mouse connection in it
          and a soft case thats made for it.
          for $175 and you pay shipping.

am i on crack? i dunno, i do know that i paid 200 each for the first two of these things that i bought and they didnt even come with the floppy drive/keyboard thingies which is huge if you wanna put an image on it..

Comment

Originally posted by martymoe
            i dont really know..
            fyi: Forum rules require a price here.

Originally posted by martymoe
            for $175 and you pay shipping.
            Paypal? How much to ship to 30041?

Phil
            Carputer-II: Infiniti Q45
            Simple setup, NAV-only
            Tablet PC :: FP :: iGuidance

Carputer-I: '99 Honda Odyssey
            Dual monitor, separate outputs: Finished
            FP :: iGuidance :: WinDVD :: EPIA M-10000 :: Opus 150w :: In-dash/On-dash

Comment

Ill take them for $120.00 shipped. Paypal armed and ready
              You can still have something if you have nothing

Comment

these machines are not new, most are used and dirty.. but they are in pretty good shape. the ones with the broken displays are probably in better shape internally than the working ones.

i will verify that the one with the good screen works before i put it in the box. that leaves you the two broken screen ones for parts.
                they will come with a floppy drive, a soft case and a car charger but no ac adapter (i only have a couple of ac adapters)

i'll sell them for hummdingers price of 120, but you throw in 10 bux for shipping(ups). anything over 10 bux on the shipping i'll pay.

that's 130 including shipping

does that sound fair?
                my air compressor died, and i need a new one. so these things are the air compressor fund

if youre interested, shoot me an email, i can tell ya what i know about these things, and should be able to answer your questions.. i have used one as a car pc so i kinda know what you're looking for (i think)

thanks

[email protected]

Comment

Dude, I sent you an e-mail Sunday, offering $175. You never replied.

But alas, two days without a reply I just bought this one of these off ebay The bonus is it has a outdoor viewable screen on it!

Comment

i just went back through my email to saturday(even junk email folder) i cant find an email from you.. i'm sorry i didnt reply, but i never saw the message..
                    i am glad you found one though..
                    that fugi seems to be comparable to the intermec..
                    it looks like it has more buttons on it's keypad..

Comment

You still have these? I bought a set and thought I'd report on what I found.

First of all, I didn't get an AC adapter (unless I'm missing something here). But I did get a car adapter.

The two broken units are really broken -- like broken glass. The working unit powered up fine and runs great. It looks like they used to have an internal battery, but it's all dried up. I'm going to see if I can get a replacement.

One of the broken units powers up and works, video and all! The touchscreen doesn't work, but it looks like the driver's not installed. I'll try adding it later, when I get time.

The ad says 128MB, but I think mine has 160MB.

I downloaded drivers for my USB WiFi to a 1GB PCMCIA card, plugged it in (to the non-broken unit), installed it, and it works! Suddenly I'm surfing the web on this thing.

It doesn't have a CDROM (and I don't have one on USB), but I installed iGuidance from the 1GB PCMCIA flash card, too. I haven't copied maps over, but it appears it's going to work. There's no serial port for my GPS, though, so I'll have to get another USB GPS mouse. [Edit: It does have a serial port, but it's on the floppy drive expander.]

It also seems to be missing a mic input, though I haven't looked very hard. No biggie.

The screen needs some cleaning. Looks like someone lost the stylus and used a ball point pen instead. It didn't hurt the screen, but it left some ink here and there. Also no biggie.

This is a nice little device. When I'm done, I'll have a TomTom clone with a larger screen for less than $300 (including GPS and software). Add a data cable for my cell phone, and I'll be wireless. Suh-weet. Thanks, Moe.

Phil
                      Carputer-II: Infiniti Q45
                      Simple setup, NAV-only
                      Tablet PC :: FP :: iGuidance

Carputer-I: '99 Honda Odyssey
                      Dual monitor, separate outputs: Finished
                      FP :: iGuidance :: WinDVD :: EPIA M-10000 :: Opus 150w :: In-dash/On-dash

Comment

Working...
                      X