The best in-car system ever L@@K

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The best in-car system ever L@@K

So haven't we all gotten tired of what's out there?

LCD's that only display 4x40
    LCD's that are driven by a TV-out where you can't even read text
    LCD's that take up your entire dash
    and wouldn't you prefer a touchscreen, and how about shortcut keys on the side of the screen, and best of all it's in an 8.4" package, boasting 800x600 res and 262,000 colors!

It's the MetroBook: http://users.erols.com/manatee108/met.htm

Without HD and memory - $450

I've installed one in my Honda Accord 2000 EX
    and now I'm gonna splurge for a custom plastic molding at the install shop. The screen and motherboard connect by one cable.

Oh yeah, and when the power gets cut off to everything in the car when you start the engine, this puppy runs off it's battery un-interrupted.

Peace y'all
    MetroBooks are Mp3 mack-daddys
    In dash 800x600 touch screen man

um, it's just a notebook computer. what's so special?!?!.

Comment

lol thankyou for showing me the light, just what i needed some newbie to tell me that this is the best mp3car system?

i think not

Comment

Yeah, I agree with what everyone else says..

Comment

Thanks DJ Metro.

Peace y'all
          MetroBooks are Mp3 mack-daddys

WTF? why dont you go back to ya homies in the crib with your laptops.... ha!
          Project - GAME OVER :(

Comment

233 mhz....HAH

(nothing against those of you with slow cpus )

[ 08-04-2001: Message edited by: pinkysqueaks ]
            Athlon 500, 128 MB, ATI Xpert 4MB AGP TV-Out, Sound Blaster Live! Value, 8.4 GB, 2x20 Backlit LCD, Keypower 250 Watt ATX DC-DC, DSchmitd Startup/Shutdown Controller, IRMan + Backlit IR Remote, Custom Keypad, 5.6" NTSC LCD, In-Dash Slot Loading DVD, all installed in an '87 Honda Accord LX-i

Comment

Granted the size of the laptop it pretty good 9.9 in. x 6.6 in. x 1.6 in. But thats not using any skills... Now if you seperate the screen from the base mounth the base under seat and screen in view and build a control I may be semi impressed..... The guys a nd girls on this site put alot of blood, sweat and time into a custom setup and do not need newbies blasting thier ideas offer a simple in car laptop! You will need to do something else with it...
              -+[MP3PC]+-

Comment

Does anyone else think it's a strange coincidence that his login name and the product name are kind of similar? DJ Metro & the Metrobook (sounds like a punk band). Maybe this is his attempt at some creative marketing.

Comment

lol, untill i read your post I hadn't seen that coincidence!

Comment

I'm glad to hear that I'm a newbie at your site. As far as this being a laptop, I think not. I've never kept in its shell. The screen is mounted right in the center of my dash board where the double din factory radio was - a perfect fit horizontally, and only a centemeter taller than the radio was ( hence the custom molding). My new JVC stereo sits below it in a honda molding for a cassette player. I've done the whole 10.4" non-touch screen in my old car with a decently sized computer in the trunk. Thing is that you gotta make the inside of your car look like an experiment with a wireless keyboard at best and some sort of pointing device. Who need's 10.4" on their dash board anyway the housing turns out to be a foot wide. And the cost is more than this near-complete system. It took me three tries to get this thing to work in the car well. I ended up breaking four laptops over the past 9 months.
                    I couldn't ask for anything more. The only interface visible is the screen, and when you can get it to fit in the center of the dash and have it look like it came from the factory - you've got your self a good looking system even if it's a 286. The processing power is perfectly fine for anything I plan on doing - Ripped DVD movies, mp3/visualizations, navi, voice command, email, internet, IrDa etc. And why not get yourself a wireless lan card to connect to the desktop inside the house. No disk drives or media to ever think about. We all know that this and many other expansion possibilities exist for any computer, but you can't control all that with a 4x40. I don't know what you guys have been dreaming about, but I certainly started this whole carmp3 thing cause I wanted to replace my car stereo with a full-color winamp that took up the space where my stereo was - and drag the sliding bar with my finger. Ever tried to skip through an mp3 that's 4 hours long? Beleive me that aint no fun with a >> button, and many mp3 CD players just can't really skip around well. Let's re evaluate your dream-system - does it include a touch screen? If it doesn't, why would you want a keyboard and mouse? I can understand having a wireless keyboard is nice - but that's compatible with my system too (been meaning to get one). Plus my on-screen keyboard works when I need one. So, anyway, I think we can agree that having a touchscreen should be a part of a dream in-car computer. Now go out on the internet and find one that has SVGA resolution, is smaller than 10.4", and has 262k colors - for under $450. Probably you won't find one that will work with any old computer - there's all sorts of options like Single-Board computers with TFT interfaces, but even those LCD's without touch cost an arm and a leg. Frankly when I started using Metrobooks, I decided I would never settle for a screen that was NTSC, or less than 640x480, nor one that didn't have touch, and never one with only 16,000 colors ( your computer can be lightning fast, but if you can't display all the colors of that movie or visualization - forget it). Pretty much the only system I can think of that could beat this would be an 8.4" 800x600 touch screen on the dash that could hook up to a computer with a lot of power and storage. Right now I'm limited to 30 gigs on a laptop hard drive. I dont' plan on using a desktop HD even though I could, because of shock absorbtion.
                    If I had a picture of this on the internet I would post it. Just hope you can all appreciate the uniquness of the display I've chosen and the rareity of such a thing at such a low price - honestly I've never found a similar display with a VGA input costing less than $995.
                    In dash 800x600 touch screen man

Comment

I have to agree with mp3pc in some aspects. Everyone puts alot of work into what they have. It's not that they need to, it's the pride in doing it. I bet half the stuff they go through is just because they enjoy playing with stuff like this.

As for the laptop, and yes, it IS in fact a laptop. The one plus is the touch screen, which is rather cool. But even in using this laptop there are limitations.

Some of which, you said ripped DVD's, that's bad, illegal you know.. But at any rate if you need to rip 8 gig of a single movie (or 800 megs on final ripped size) it's rather pointless. Also, a 4 hour MP3? That's one heck of a long song you're listening to. Or did you just rip a pile of CD's and make it into one MP3. Odd, very odd.

Now, lets look at another aspect. You said you trashed 4 laptops for this. Making 5 total laptops for this project of yours. This alone has set you back $2250.00. Now, correct me if I'm wrong but I have so far into mine a total of $378. This being for a desktop computer (Micro ATX) with the hard drive, memory, LCD and etc. I think I paid less. In total I'll have aprox $450 into the PC aspect of Project R/T.

Now, I'm not here to knock the idea of using a laptop for a base to the project. I also was going to use one, however decided not to. But I will say this. Don't hype up something you're selling to be the answer to all prayers, nor the best thing since sliced bread. This is for the people who you wish to buy it to decide. After all, you're not dealing with 16 year olds who had daddy or mommy buy their car. Most people on here are techies or have strong mechanical skills. This isn't a field for kiddies to play in.

Scott--

[ 08-04-2001: Message edited by: DarkWolf ]
                      -=~=-=~=-=~=-=~=-=~=-=~=-=~=-=~=-=~=-=~=-=~=-
                      97 Firebird Formula Convertable - Project R/T
                      Project R/T SoundDomain Page

Comment

i'm somewhat interested in this, but not as a Mp3Car based computer - That is already been taken care of

What sort of memory is required, are we talking here? Why don't these come with even a base level of memory onboard? As for HD, ditto, your specs reference a 2.1 GB HD, yet you say it needs a HD also? Even having a touchscreen interface, $450.00 for a P233mmx 'laptop starter kit' is pretty steep.

Get back to me on this.

Thanks.

Comment

Ripping DVDs is not illegal. That viewpoint is what keeps people from being able to watch the DVDs they legaled purchased, in their own home, just for themselves, under operating systems besides Windows and MacOS.

Distributing the movie to lots of strangers may be illegal, but ripping it is not.

Time-shifting and space-shifting are well established as legal.
                          Player: Celeron II 633MHz, 256MB RAM, 20GB IBM 9mm 2.5" Laptop HD (180G/2ms), onboard ethernet/sound/video/tvout, 10"11"x3" case, MPBS1 70W DC-DC PS w/auto-shutdown controller, in-dash lighted switches, 7" NTSC TFT widescreen in-dash LCD, touchscreen, rear-window brake light installed Garmin GPS35 GPS, credit card sized IR remote w/IRMan, mini-wireless keyboard/mouse (sits under seat), PowerMate black knob, MP3s and GPS Navigation (Winamp, CoPilot, SA8.0).
                          Car: 1993 Nissan Maxima, Black Emerald

Comment

Yeah yeah yeah... eesh, JOKE, laugh a little.. Considering where we are, and what files make up MP3's, I'd say 80% of the files combined from all members are from sharing programs. As if this is a place to talk about legalities.

If you want to term it correctly and NOT have someone bring up illegal, the term is BACKUP or copy, not ripped.. And my viewpoint is fine, thank you..
                            Scott--
                            97 Firebird Formula Convertable - Project R/T
                            Project R/T SoundDomain Page

Comment

Originally posted by DarkWolf:
                              <STRONG>Yeah yeah yeah... eesh, JOKE, laugh a little.. Considering where we are, and what files make up MP3's, I'd say 80% of the files combined from all members are from sharing programs. As if this is a place to talk about legalities.

If you want to term it correctly and NOT have someone bring up illegal, the term is BACKUP or copy, not ripped.. And my viewpoint is fine, thank you..
                              Scott--</STRONG>
                              The process is called ripping.. so.. *shrug*

also, while I don't have any 4 hour mp3's, I do have 90 minute DJ Mixes.. FF'ing through one of those is a bit rough.
                              I cheat, I own an empeg.
                              Meskimen's Law: There's never time to do it right, but there's always time to do it over.
                              http://civic.mp3car.com

Comment

Working...
                              X