Cheap mini PCs!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheap mini PCs!

I just stumbled accross this: cheap mini PCs for $78 (US). Super 7, supports up to K6-3 and very small. Only uses USB ports, but these might be fun to play with.

Product Requirements
    ---------------------------------------------CPU, Memory, Hard Drive
    Monitor, OS,Printer, Scanner etc.

I think that means all you get is the casing and a motherboard ... ah well and keyboard/mouse/speakers

I dont think its all that cheap but if your in the market for slightly older motherboards this may be a cheap way to go

Comment

I just took a look on BioStar's specs page for this product, and it comes with a power brick which outputs 12VDC - 3V and 5V are generated on the motherboard! Does this not mean that you could use something like this adapter to power it?
      This PC becomes much more attractive if you can go to Radio Shack and pick up a $21 DC-DC power supply for it!!

Comment

It also states that the power supply it uses, outputs the 12v @ 5a... the Radioshack device can only do 3a this might not be enough for the conversion process required for the motherboard's other currents.

On the other hand, it's gotta be possible to get a 12v line which can output 5a with a little bit of electrical mastery (not me, I wouldn't know).

-Miles
        Near Completion: Intel P166 MMX, 32MB ram, 13GB Hard Drive, Keypad, 4x40 LCD. Sproggy MK2.6 ATX PSU. Win98SE with Winamp and Mark Zehnder Plugin. (Web-site: very soon)

Comment

I don't have too much electrical knowledge either. Does anyone know if this could easily be powered from the car's 12V?

Comment

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI...tem=1292323198

Onsale on ebay, the seller has 5 up for auction now..

Possible someone could arrange to buy a few at a much reduced price?

I'm somewhat interested in one or maybe two, provided that there would be a decent deal and reasonably low shipping (I have to take into account the Cnd/Us exchange and the fact my lazy arse is currently unemployed).

I beleave suppling 12v @ 5a would be fairly easy, if you where to boost then buck...
            Is the HD voltage provided by the MD as well?

My only other concern would be providing some kind of display... without a parrallel or serial port a character LCD is ruled out.

All the same i'd like to know more about the MB..
            [SIZE=1]'91 Nissan Stanza

[XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX] XX% Completed -
            Car Totaled and i bought a 20G mp3 player

http://machs-fuel.tk
            a DIY video projector page

Comment

The guy wants $99 on e-bay - the original link I posted was for $78 and they're new. I'm also concerned about the buying from US, but if you check to Compgeeks site it's only $24 for shipping to Canada for 1 unit, but only $35 for 2 units or $42 for 3 units. If we couldarrange a group buy between Canadians, we might get a better price plus we could save on shipping.
              As for the lack or serial/parallel ports, you could use a usb to serial adapter or a USB to parallel adapter.

Comment

Got one on order from the Geeks, Should be getting it tommorow. I'll let you know how it works hooking right into the truck direct (Plus and inline Fuse).
                KCMONGO
                2005 Chevy Silverado
                1953 Chevy 1/2 Ton
                1953 Chevy 2 Ton
                1953 Dodge Meadowbrook

Comment

I was thinking maybe the eBay seller could give us a better price for a quantity.. Just a thought. The units on eBay are listed as new. Although I wasn't aware that Compugeeks had good shiping prices.

KCMONGO - Looking forward to seeing whats inside the case!

-edit-

Just found out some info on the EasyNow! PCs and the Stuff inside. The MB is a Biostar M5SAF.

Pictures, Interior ones on 3rd page (in korean) http://www.byxtreme.com/Scoop/000124/

Tech Info and following link http://www.fujitsu-siemens.co.uk/rl/...5SAF/M5SAF.htm

Link to manual http://www.fujitsu-siemens.co.uk/rl/...saf_110699.pdf

[ 11-08-2001: Message edited by: Machs_FueL ]

Comment

Great link to the pictures Machs_Fuel! I can't believe how small this thing looks when removed from the outer shell. KCMONGO, be sure to let us know how it is once you receive yours.

Comment

Ok Guys, here it goes.
                      UPS Finally Got here late tonite with the Geeks Box. So Far I think it looks great. A much better solution than my I-Opener or the machine I'm currently using, a microATX board in a custom made case with a 160Watt Powersupply, Inverter, and 4" Parts Exp. Screen etc,etc...

I've shrunk the pictures and put them on a page HERE.

For the money I think it's gonna be the best solution for me plus I can eliminate my inverter. I will have to buy a Serial to USB adapter for my IRMan. It should fit perfect behind the panel that holds the cup holder on the passenger side of my Dakota. I'm hoping to make it so it pulls out.

I am thinking of picking up a couple more One to replace my FreeSCO box in my rack, and one for my 53' Chevy Truck So if you guys work out a bulk purchase with the EBay Guy, Count me in.

KCMongo

[ 11-13-2001: Message edited by: KCMONGO ]
                      2005 Chevy Silverado
                      1953 Chevy 1/2 Ton
                      1953 Chevy 2 Ton
                      1953 Dodge Meadowbrook

Comment

if it only had tvout on the mobo........
                        time for the sig:

'00 VW golf TDI upped to 130 HP - 18" RS 6 wheels - liliput 7" tft in indash housing - epia 10K - SB audigy - caliber 1 fahrad CAP - RF punch amp - hollywood 1.6K mono amp - boston acoustics pro - RF 10" DVD sub

Comment

what is the connection interface on your 10" LCD?
                          I was looking at Compugeeks and they have replacement Thinkpad LCDs 11,13,14" for 20$.
                          That got me thinking..
                          But I dont beleave that there is any (cost effective) way to connect them..

Comment

It connects via VGA, I got it off E-bay about 4 months ago. It's also 12Volt In.
                            2005 Chevy Silverado
                            1953 Chevy 1/2 Ton
                            1953 Chevy 2 Ton
                            1953 Dodge Meadowbrook

Comment

KCMONGO: Can you please post the dimensions with the outer case removed?
                              For power, you mention above that you were going to hook directly to the car's 12V - this might damage the PC or the drive, so be carefull! The voltage converters on the motherboard most likely don't reguate the power, they assum they're getting regulated 12V already (judging by the fact that this came with a power brick). Take a look at the link to the RadioShack 12V/3A adapter I posted above. I know the power brick that comes with this provides 12V/5A, but seeing as you're using a laptop drive (which does not use 12V at all) and you're most likely removing the CD-ROM for use in-car, you should be fine with 3A. I've sent a note to BioStar asking them if 3A would be sufficient, I'll post here when I hear back from them.
                              Also, you mentionned that you were thinking of getitng one of these for FreeSCO... How are you going to do this with only one NIC (or do you connect via dial-up)? I didn't think that USB NICs were supported in FreeSCO. I use ClarkConnect (based on RedHat 7.1) as a router/firewall right now, and it would be great to replace it with one of these samll PCs!
                              Thanks!

[ 11-09-2001: Message edited by: mtmsol ]

[ 11-09-2001: Message edited by: mtmsol ]

Comment

Working...
                              X