WTB: Carputer install help in SLO, CA

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WTB: Carputer install help in SLO, CA

Here's the deal: I basically know nothing about carputer installs, and want to hire someone to install it for me. But I'd like to be there to watch, to help what little I can and maybe learn a bit.

Price: Negotiable (can do based on the whole job, or hourly, or whatever, we can discuss it). I'm a broke Cal Poly student, but if you have the experience and are willing to put in the time, I'll be glad to pay you for it.

Vehicle: 1999 2D Ford Mustang Convertable

Install would include:
    - mounting carputer securely somewhere in car (likely trunk, but we'd discuss it)
    - installing motorized touchscreen in one din (likely having to move radio down in the process)
    - hooking up power to everything (DC-DC or inverter or something - would be discussed) such that it boots and shuts down at appropreate times, survives crank, etc.
    - hooking up carputer audio into stock stereo system (with no aux in available)
    - running cables, etc. so they're mostly hidden

Probably other stuff as well? (Things I don't know about yet, that you would inform me of.)

Let me know if you're in the area and interested!

-arebelspy
    See my trades here! My For Sale/Trade Thread. Email joe at eipse.com
    Originally posted by xdjxklusivex
    i think every thread is now a whoreing thread

you should really take a shot at it, it's not really that hard plus we can help you along the way. The only thing that would be troublesome would be keeping the stock stereo system (if you mean keeping the h/u)
    New System in progress:
    M10k
    Phaze TD1500 ~> Dynaudio MD130
    Phaze TD1500 ~> Seas g18rnx/p
    Zapco Ref 500.1 ~ 12" tc-9
    Behringer DCX2496 ~ Envision Electronics psu
    Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
    My Boat Pc worklog

Comment

Originally posted by scott_fx
      you should really take a shot at it, it's not really that hard
      I'd love to, but there's no way I'd be able to.

Just browsing this site for a few days has made me go:

I don't even understand half the things people say here, to be honest :P

I'd lov to learn though, so if anyne in the area wants to get paid to show me how to do all of the above, please let me know.

-arebelspy

Comment

i have no idea where san luis obisopo is in relation to me but if you want to stop by while i install my g/f's car pc i can give you a hand
        New System in progress:
        M10k
        Phaze TD1500 ~> Dynaudio MD130
        Phaze TD1500 ~> Seas g18rnx/p
        Zapco Ref 500.1 ~ 12" tc-9
        Behringer DCX2496 ~ Envision Electronics psu
        Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
        My Boat Pc worklog

Comment

I'm a couple hours north of LA (central coast), but I figure most the people who reply will be in that area (or the bay area - which is equally far), so I'm prepared to drive a few hours. Talkin to xdjx.. about it right now, who's near L.A.

I really appreciate the offer, but think it'll prolly take more than just a little help while you're workin on another carpcat the same time. Although if you want a job helpin me do it, I'd be up for it..

-arebelspy

Comment

lol. I used to live in Paso Robles. I always get a kick out of seeing people online from where I used to live.

Anyway, It really isn't that hard at all. If You can setup a PC in Your house You can install one in Your car. I had never done it before this install either.

There is alot of really good info here, and You will most likely get the help You need from the people on the forum.

Comment

PCs are no problem, built many a PC from scratch before. It's all the wiring and power stuff that confuses me (that whole "Power Supply" part of the forum), and I can't make heads or tails of when people talk about it. :P

Oh, and to be honest, ripping into my dash scares me.

-arebelspy

Comment

Here's the power supply that I use. It works pretty good. check out the link to the manual, it'll show how it is wired up.

http://www.mini-box.com/s.nl/sc.8/ca...it.A/id.356/.f

If it's installing the screen Your worried about. You can take it to a stereo shop and have them install it. You have a mtorized LCD right? Shouldn't be any different that installing a regular headunit. I don't know of AVC is still down on Broad St. or not but they used to do pretty good work.

The rest of the install is cake.

Comment

The PC I'm using isn't an ATX motherboard, so from my reasearch so far it looks like I'm gonna have to go the inverter and DSSC Controller route..

As far as the install of the motorized LCD I'll prolly see how much they charge.

Coincidentally, I happen to live on Broad, so I did a quick search, which showed the place you were talking about isn't found (at least in any online yellow pages) but another place on Broad was (likely the same place with a name change or got bought out). Mapquest shows total distance: 0.48 miles, Total Driving Time: 1 Minute. So it shouldn't be too hard to get to a car audio place.

You have me so tempted to do this myself, but I know I'll screw something up and it won't turn out right. :P

I'll post more details about what I'm trying to do in a bit.

I really appreciate your comments so far!

-arebelspy

Comment

Yeah, post up what You want to use, (mobo, screen,etc) and I'll see if I can help You out.

Also there is Upstairs Car Stereo in Atascadero, They do really good work.

Comment

Okay, first here is the hardware I have (or have ordered and is being shipped to me):

1) ipaq desktop pc from this thread (not atx):
                      http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=59760
                      2) 7" lilliput mounted on IH002 motorized housing: http://www.digitalww.com/IH002.htm
                      3) power inverter (300w continuous, 500w peak) - might need a new one (donno if this one is a sine one, or if it'll be sufficient?)
                      4) 10" usb male to female extension cable
                      5) 10" vga extension cable

basically here's the things that need to be done:
                      1) there's 2 din slots available in my car, currently with radio on top and cd player on bottom.. gotta open dash, pull out cd player, move radio to bottom, and install motorized lcd in-dash in top din
                      2) install computer in the trunk.. bolt it down somehow for security
                      3) install USB hub in glove box, allow wires to run to it unobtrusively somehow (up to gps on dash, over to touchscreen monitor in din, up to USB IR receiver on dash, etc)
                      4) run extension cables from dash to trunk (vga extension cable for monitor to pc and usb extension cable for pc to hub)
                      5) run wires from battery to inverter (which will be in the trunk with the pc to avoid noise in the front), which the comp will be plugged in to. put a fuse on the + lead within a few inches of the battery.
                      6) Run regular extension cord from inverter to power strip in glovebox (to power usb hub, monitor, etc)
                      7) according to someone who had the same computer, the power button of the computer is soldered directly to the motherboard, so the connections on the motherboard will need to be resoldered for a remote start
                      8) a dashwerks dssc controller will need to be installed that will control the inverter and pc at the same time so when i turn on my car the inverter and pc turn on (and vice versa when I turn the car off)
                      9) the whole things gotta withstand engine crank..
                      10) hooking up carputer's audio (integrated on the motherboard) with the stock stereo system.. the problem: no aux in = will take a bit more work (luckily there's tons of these tutorials available for ipod owners)

Any steps or thing I'm forgetting?

..so I still need parts for:
                      1) bolting down the PC (step 2).. not sure what this will require yet?
                      2) dashworks dssc controller
                      3) wires for step 5? .. not sure what is needed?
                      4) extension cord for step 6
                      5) long audio cable(s) for step 10 . not sure what is needed? (likely depends on how the install of step 10 is done)

Anything else that I need to complete the above steps? Thoughts?
                      Only reason I haven't ordered all of the above is because I'm not sure what exactly is needed, aside from the dssc controller, and I'm waiting on that to see if there's a better way (looking like not, as it's not an atx mobo = no opius, carpc ez, etc) - (and #4 the extension cord cause I havenít bothered to go to a home depot or wal mart and grab a regular extension cord yet).. thoughts would be appreciated.

I'll post this in he newbie forum if I actuallly convince myself I can do this (what I originally though when I ordered a regular CD, then I realized I couldn't even do the fabriction so I got the motorized.. then I realized I prolly couldn't even do that and would need serious help with this, so I made this post). :P

-arebelspy

Comment

What you should do it host a barbeque at your place or a friends with a garage or some covering from the hot sunlight. Then set it up as an event in the mp3car gatherings topic. Post the date and place and then indicate what will be provided for grub and who can bring what.

Also note that people will have to bring some of thier tools of the trade, i.e. wire strippers , crimpers, needle nose pliers, soldering iron, etc... Wire , crimp tool and crimp ons, etc...

Then you can spread the cost out by hosting the bar-b-que and get a bunch of carputer enthusiasts to meet and greet , show off thier rides, bull****, etc. Shoot you should even have a raffle and spend your money on some prized component that people would want to win of they owned a car comptuer! I know that I would seriously consider coming down from the Bay area if I knew that there was going to be a "meeting of the minds".

Dont settle for just one persons expertise when you can have many people jump in...

Its gotta be soon though as the weather will start to change in the next month and 1/2 for sure.

E30vert

Oh, if and when you post this as a gathering make sure to have people indicate if they will or will not be there and what the agenda is. Last thing you want is people showing up to a "free" barbeque without them knowing its going to be a working barbeque. Gotta give them the heads up!

Plus you could PM some members that lived in your area or LA or the Bay area and then just invite them if they seem knowledgeable.

Good stuff?????

Comment

bump.. done some stuff myself, but still wouldn't mind some help on some stuff..

-arebelspy

Comment

Working...
                          X