• Show
Clear All

• WTB: 12v lilliput egg

12v lilliput egg.

3 of.

uk preferred.

cheap etc.
    Lez, more widely known as flez1966

I have one, its been mod'd (not by me) to run off of a pc psu. Interested? I'm in the US unfortunitly.

-matt

Comment

ey its a usual problem of post etc.

Think I'l be just as well building 3 new little supplys over the weekend.

Comment

WTB: 12v lilliput egg
        no you really don't
        -Jesus- King of Kings Lord of Lords

Comment

Originally posted by antimatter
          no you really don't

Thanatos.
          RexBruMet Skin for FrodoPlayer

Nissan Aux-in MOD

Originally posted by bgoodman
          We're an international forum, post in whatever langauge you like.

Comment

The Lilliput "egg" is nothing more than a simple line filter (coil + capacitor) and a zener diode to clamp spikes above 12V. You could easily build one yourself, but you would be even better off with a regulated 12V supply. I think the Lilliputs draw about 600mA, so a 1A regulator should be more than sufficient.

Of course, if you already have a source of regulated 12V (say, from your PC power supply) there isn't any reason you can't tap into that (aside from overloading the 12V on your PCs supply.)

-p.

Comment

yup, my egg was a real regulator, 9-16v in, 12v out, still have one but somehow I have lost 2 (have 3 screens)

Dont want to tap the pc its heavy enough on the psu as it is!

Been testing the screens they work ok at 11v, 10.5 with a loss in brightness, so getting 11v with a simple 5v 1 amp reg wont be hard, just lift its middle leg to 6v.

Or just putting a few in4001's etc in the supply line to 'lose' a few volts.

Comment

so whats the best way to regulate 12V, ive got 3 more screens that draw half amp each?
                all fitted but its having a wobler!

Comment

eaisest way is buy a 12V reg that will do one or all of your screens. Go to maplins or something and look for one.

or you can build a simple one.

I am sure there are instructions in the hardware or powersupply sections (this is the for sale section - not the best place to ask stuff).

Comment

Yup but most 12v regs can do 1amp etc, but need about 15v in to work, otherwise they drop about 3 volts IIRC.

I think best way is to buy a universal laptop supply of about 3amp off ebay, set it to 15-16v, then feed that into 3 12v regulators etc.

Comment

or just run em your PC's psu if you have 1.5A to spare

Comment

Originally posted by Scouse Monkey
                        or just run em your PC's psu if you have 1.5A to spare
                        PSU has, inverter hasnt........

Comment

Originally posted by lez
                          PSU has, inverter hasnt........
                          eh? when did inverters come into this?

Comment

My psu runs off an inverter, its only a 120w inverter, the pc is pulling 160watts, the inverter has a sweat on.........

To through the 3 lilliputs at it would shove it into meltdown, hence the need to run them from a new regulated(ish) 12v source.

So, to build 1 new supply, take one 5v low dropout regulator, connect its ground pin to a 6.8v zener so it will output 11.8v.

Will need a resistor to help lift the ground pin, say 10k to Vin.

should give me voltage all the way down to a Vin of 12.3v then drop off etc.

Will post when maplin get the bits here if I cant call to wombwell depot tomorro.

Comment

Working...
                            X