• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small DC-DC supply @ timeline.

Anyone seen this? Looks pretty neat.

http://www.digisys.net/timeline/hacker.html#ups
    www.arbybean.com

could we use this to have non-interrupted power when we turn our car off if we dont hook it up straight to the battery?
    Car
    1964 Ford Falcon powered by a 1993 Mustang 5.0 EFI, AOD transmission, with disc brakes up front and more mechanical goodies
    The Player
    Gone! Soon goign to repalce the screen based system i HAD with an iPod. http://mp3falcon.crazyshaxs.com

Comment

just wondering..

could this supply be hacked to run from the car battery instead of the sealed lead acid battery? That would be soooo useful if it could be easily done. Think about it, a DC-DC PSU for only $29.
      Also, how is the power output on this thing? 57Watts doesnt seem like much when you compare it to standard 200 or 250 Watt AT style PSU's. If the 2.2A battery was replaced by a car battery, would the power output be any better?

Thanks alot for all your info guys.
      Jarrod - Holden VX S!

Comment

Well, I called them up and ordered two of them. Seems like a good solution. I asked if the adapters were ATX style, and they said that they were unsure, but that they have a datasheat to go with it. Unfortunatly they can only fax it at this time, so I went ahead and took a chance. It has all the power outputs that I need for the FV24 motherboard and drive connectors, so it should work. Use one to power the motherboard, and the other to power the drives and fans, since I don't think 57 watts is enough to power a celeron 800 with drives?

The guy said that they have a good bit of these. I was kinda scared he might already be sold out since it was posted on this site. Thanks a lot for the tip Arby. Mine ship out tommorrow. I will let everyone know how it works once I get it.
        Still setting it all up:
        FV24 with celeron 900, super tiny custom case, Datalux 10.4 touch screen in the Subaru Outback

Comment

Actually, that will power an FV24 just fine.

mine uses...
          4A @ 5V
          1.9A @ 3.3
          0.14A @12V
          with a celeron 900

you can even use the batter charging portion to power it off of AC in the house!

Actually, I'm interested in buying the 120V -> 12V @ 8A section if it's seperate and you have an extra
          www.arbybean.com

Comment

Did this supply have an ATX connector out?????

Where will they ship to??
            Car: About to change

Player: VIA Eden, 256Mb RAM, Bootable from 64MB Compactflash, 40GB MP3 HD, IRMan, Wireless Keyboard, 5.6" In-dash TFT, 12v DC-DC, running Windows XP Embedded with Wireless LAN, Mobile Internet, GPS Sat Navigation.

== Running MediaEngine for the front end whilst I build a front end in VB.NET, but may stick with ME 2.0 ==

Comment

Pinout of 57 Watt UPS

The new model PVI-50-46BUA switching power supply from Martek Power Switch, Inc. has a wide range AC input, 12V battery input and a battery charge circuit. According to the company, the new power supply is designed for office use in client web server, LAN products and other applications that require protection from loss of AC power. The supply provides 57 watts output from either wide range AC input (90-264VAC) or the 12V, 2.5 amp-hour user-provided lead-acid battery. The five fully regulated outputs are +5VDC at 6.5A, +3.6VDC at 2.5A, +12VDC at 1.5A/2.0A (PK), -12VDC at 0.5A and 13.6VDC for battery charging. Logic features include power fail and automatic battery operation. Switch-over from AC to DC input is automatic with no interruption of outputs. The unit also has an IEC 320 connector for AC input and Molex/AMP connectors for DC outputs and battery connections. The unit has a predicted FIT (MTBF) of 250,000 hours, and conforms to FCC 20780 and CISPR 22.2 Class B, agency certified/recognized by UL to UL 1950, CSA 22.2 #234 and EN 60950 by TUV

Looks like a ATX connector would have to be added, but it shouldn't be too dificult. Its still a great deal!

My current plans and progress on my install Here

Comment

Anyone know how I can change an AT power supply into ATX then???
                Car: About to change

Player: VIA Eden, 256Mb RAM, Bootable from 64MB Compactflash, 40GB MP3 HD, IRMan, Wireless Keyboard, 5.6" In-dash TFT, 12v DC-DC, running Windows XP Embedded with Wireless LAN, Mobile Internet, GPS Sat Navigation.

== Running MediaEngine for the front end whilst I build a front end in VB.NET, but may stick with ME 2.0 ==

Comment

would two of these p.s.'s power a pentium 120mhz motherboard and hdd?

Comment

one will work fine
                    Car
                    1964 Ford Falcon powered by a 1993 Mustang 5.0 EFI, AOD transmission, with disc brakes up front and more mechanical goodies
                    The Player
                    Gone! Soon goign to repalce the screen based system i HAD with an iPod. http://mp3falcon.crazyshaxs.com

Comment

ok i think i will get one even if i cant hook it up to the car 12v current and have to use a inverter the back up batt. will keep it from turning off

Comment

It should be very easy to hook up the car 12V in parrallel with the internal battery, or in place of the battery... however you may lose the 'backup' functionality during ignition. A circuit that isolates the internal battery from the car battery would be nice, and probably a simple modification. I'll see how I can do this once mine arrive. Any ideas?
                        Still setting it all up:
                        FV24 with celeron 900, super tiny custom case, Datalux 10.4 touch screen in the Subaru Outback

Comment

hey guys, how are you going with these power supplys? It looks like what i'd be after for my setup.

Comment

there is another more recent thread on it in the PSU section i think,
                            I forget the name of the thread though

there was some trouble with getting it to remain on during cranking. something to do with the DC-DC section requiring a signal from the AC-DC section......?
                            [SIZE=1]'91 Nissan Stanza

[XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX] XX% Completed -
                            Car Totaled and i bought a 20G mp3 player

http://machs-fuel.tk
                            a DIY video projector page

Comment

here's the thread:

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...8785#post48785
                              Still setting it all up:

Comment

Working...
                              X