Members show off your project forum

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Members show off your project forum

Iím thinking about a new forum where everyone can start a new thread for their car and then others can comments. Sort of an extension of the most popular ďThis place is dead - POST A PIC OF YOUR CAR thread.Ē Maybe a way to replace the outdated examples page on the main site.

Iím looking for input on how this should work. Maybe limit it to only finished installs? I understand in this hobby nothing is really ďfinished.Ē So rather then starting a new tread for when something is re-done with your car, how about just editing your first post to reflect the changes? Addition of new features, etc.

I also need a name for the forum.

Should there be some required information on the first post? I would rather a consistent format, so someone browsing could quickly spot out the major points without reading to far into it. What should the standard be? Maybe only list the major features, with a link to a web page for further information? Pictures? Maybe limit it to 2 or 3 pictures with a link to more? Some members will probably want to put 10 pictures up while some might not put up any. What is a good number?

Basically the members of this forum have put a lot of effort in to their cars and I think they should be able to show it off so others can learn.

Lets get those ideas in on how this should work by the end of the week.

The first post should outline the project.. Car, hardware, software, application (dvd, mp3, gps.. etc..) Since the project will most likely be evolving this will probably be edited often.

as for the name of the thread "mp3Car installs" would work I think.. or that could be the main title and you could have sub forums "completed installs" and "works in progress" Unless you want to keep 1 thread per user and just have that thread get updated.

Most likely It will not remain as regulated as you would like since the forum is realy open to any kind of posting. There will ineveitably be questions asked as a new thread, etc..

Maybe we should setup some new sort of example car page system that is a standard format. The individual users would be able to pick a color scheme, title graphic, and post photos with descriptions, but the rest of the site will be preformated. Any way that's my ideas for now
    aka Kumaneko
    "Don't make me moderate your ***!"
    Maxima of Doom - project thread - photo gallery
    mp3car system is currently FUBAR and finances do not allow for a correction of that situation
    Real computer hackers use a rotary cutting tool on their motherboard.

Comment

If we do end up having something like that forum, I think it would be a good idea to have a "standard" format for the first post. Something like:

Car Make: Porche
      Car Model: 911
      Car year: 2002
      Screen: 10.4" LCD
      Processor: 1.4Ghz
      etc.

That way, people can get a general idea of what people have built withouth having to search throughout the post. I would say that people should probably only have a few (less than 5?) pics in the post, and link to a web page if they have more.

I also like the completed and work in progress seperate forums idea.

Twostep

Comment

This is a great idea! when will it be implemented? cause i'm totally up for it!
        > Dave Walker
        > [email protected]

Comment

Yeah, its a good idea, then I could post about my system, and you wouldn't have to avoid all the new posts..
          2 week temp ban (spam and complaining about deleted posts)
          register another account and you're gone for good.

Comment

Thank you ShinkunoNamida and Twostep for your ideas. I was hopping to get some more input from more members before anything is decided.

Iím still looking for help in what the standard format should be. If some people want to create and post an example template that would be useful.

Iím not opposed to having two forums, one for completed installs and one for works in progress, but I question the need for them. What do some more people think?

Comment

I'll come up with something tonight or at the very least sometime this week. I have a pretty good picture of it so it shouldn't be that hard to put together.
              aka Kumaneko
              mp3car system is currently FUBAR and finances do not allow for a correction of that situation

Comment

here's a link to my basic idea.
                aka Kumaneko

Comment

Hey, That doesnt look like it would be that hard to code in PHP. Hmm... If wanted, i'll do the coding.
                  Mark Muyskens
                  http://www.markthebozo.com

Comment

Well i forgot to provide a section for links.. but that was just a basic idea anyway.
                    aka Kumaneko

Comment

I thought the idea was to add it as another forum, like a sub forum of general hardware. The layout looks nice, but would involve a lot of VBB hacking, if it was even implementable. I think that there should just be a stickied thread with the format, or even put someone incharge of checking all the posts before they actually go "live" (thats still a vbb option, isnt it?). ANd I think that it should be in any stage of the install, showing (key word: showing, as in pcitures, I dont think a "heres a list of my hardware" would be that much help) the current status of the install.
                      -Nick

Comment

It may be more complicated than it needs to be.. but it could be possible to create a form that would just parse the code and record it to a new thread in the forum.

I'm not that familiar with vbb.. but I've written my own script to interface with other news posting packages. Basicaly you would create a post form with fields. The script would process the fields and format it into vbb acceptable code and post it as a new thread. To edit it you would need a script that would break it back apart and fill in a form similar to the original post form.

I'm not sure how feasible it is with this forum. This is just my idea.
                        aka Kumaneko

Comment

I like the page, itís a good idea for the format, however, I don't really want to it do be using PHP or anything, just something simple and within this forum.

I'm going to make a list of rules for the new forum and moderate every post to ensure that the format is followed before allowing new treads to appear.

Comment

hmm...

Wouldn't it be harder to make the form post to vbb then to just create a seperate app.?
                            Mark Muyskens
                            http://www.markthebozo.com

Comment

Working...
                            X