Bring back the old wiki!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bring back the old wiki!

Is Vaultwiki going to be the wiki of the future for mp3car, so we won't be able to use the old style wiki? Personally I much prefer the old wiki to vaultwiki. It's much easier to search, nicer looking, and standardized. Anyone who knows how to edit wiki knows how to edit it. So is that going away eventually in lieu of vaultwiki?
    "stop with the REINSTALLS, what do you think we got some lame-o installer!!!" - mitchjs
    RevFE
    My Shop

Originally posted by malcom2073 View Post
    Is Vaultwiki going to be the wiki of the future for mp3car, so we won't be able to use the old style wiki? Personally I much prefer the old wiki to vaultwiki. It's much easier to search, nicer looking, and standardized. Anyone who knows how to edit wiki knows how to edit it. So is that going away eventually in lieu of vaultwiki?
    The old wiki is no longer supporter by the original developers. We could not make really simple changes, so we switched a few months ago to a new plugin. Sharon is just working right now to port over the info.

This wiki seems straightforward enough. What are your specific issues with it.
    Suggestions or Comments on the forums? Post here.

mp3Car store order questions or products that you would like to sell on the store? Email store @ mp3car.com

Feel free to pm me if you:
    • Have a general comment on mp3Car's products or services
    • Have a product you would like to have tested by the mp3Car community
    • Have a file you would like mp3Car to host
    • Have a cool idea that would improve the forums

Comment

Originally posted by Heather View Post
      The old wiki is no longer supporter by the original developers. We could not make really simple changes, so we switched a few months ago to a new plugin. Sharon is just working right now to port over the info.

This wiki seems straightforward enough. What are your specific issues with it.
      It has more of a forum feel than a wiki feel to it, and it doesn't look like wiki markup works either.
      "stop with the REINSTALLS, what do you think we got some lame-o installer!!!" - mitchjs
      RevFE
      My Shop

Comment

It really is a terrible way to catalog information. Why not switch to a standard engine like mediawiki or others? It seems that it would be better long-term than a vBulletin plugin.

The RideRunner crew are trying to use it to document program settings and skinning info, and it's next to impossible to find what you're looking for without already knowing what it is you need. I do consider myself a pretty proficient forum user, and I find it next to impossible to search it for generic terms like "riderunner execute command parameters".

EDIT: The old wiki IS mediawiki... it's no longer supported?!
        Tidder

Try RevFE
        The best resurrected frontend I've ever used, period.

I Wish I could ban people

Comment

Agreed......MediaWiki would be a huge improvement!
          openMobile - An open source C# Front End (why choose openMobile?)
          - Always Recruiting Developers -
          Like what you see? Donations are always welcome

Comment

mediawiki +1
            Former author of LinuxICE, nghost, nobdy.
            Current author of Automotive Message Broker (AMB).
            Works on Tizen IVI. Does not represent anyone or anything but himself.

Comment

sql data porting is relatively easy if you know the db layout for both systems but time consuming.

You can do it through a script or by hand.

Why not pull in a few savvy users from the forum and have them help?
              You'd save money and could move staff to more critical issues.
              If the call for help comes up empty you could sweeten the deal with a few products
              Once again the cost per product is cheaper than probably several hours of personnel time

Comment

Update:
                I've got mediawiki downloaded. I'm waiting on my server guys to get me a new DB created to use for it. Hopefully by later Monday I'll have something ready. Ill keep everyone updated.

Comment

Yay!
                  RevFE
                  My Shop

Comment

Yay! Mediawiki gets my vote too, by the way

Gary (-;
                    OBDGPSLogger, for logging OBDII and/or GPS data
                    OBDSim, an OBDII/ELM327 software simulator
                    mp3car forums: obdgpslogger, obdsim

Comment

http://www.mp3car.com/carwiki/index.php/Main_Page

Join, write, have a ball!

I will be moving this whole thing to wiki.mp3car.com as soon as i get some hosting things ironed out. But that won't change anything from putting data on there.

Good Idea about the sql port, I can't give out access, but it shouldn't take long to write that script. I will defintly post if I have any questions though. (I hate writing the word definitely.)

Comment

Yay!
                        Tidder

Try RevFE
                        The best resurrected frontend I've ever used, period.

I Wish I could ban people

Comment

what happened to this? I had organized a couple of nice wiki pages that have disappeared. I found a couple that were converted over but the formatting is horrible and all pictures gone.
                          System always under construction

Comment

which articles are missing photos. Ill try to recover them.
                            I had to put all the wiki's together because we had 4 different sources of information all barely being kept up at different times. It was making our forum a difficult place to find information. But my goal is always to make this one source be king, so ill do my best to recover missing information.

Comment

Well it started on this page and then, well there were a bunch of how-to's. I didn't write them all, but they were good resources for others.

http://www.mp3car.com/wiki/index.php...g_via_Software

There are bits and pieces of it that were transferred, but without the pictures they are kind of confusing.

http://www.mp3car.com/showwiki.php?t...ble+Sound+Card
                              http://www.mp3car.com/showwiki.php?t...+Tuning+Method

If I use the wayback machine I can sort of find the info, but it's also missing the pictures that went with the how-tos.

http://replay.waybackmachine.org/200...g_via_Software
                              http://replay.waybackmachine.org/200..._Tuning_Method
                              http://replay.waybackmachine.org/200...ble_Sound_card

So mediawiki was a no go? THe old wiki was easy to click through and organize, the current wiki seems like nothing more than more forum posts.
                              System always under construction

Comment

Working...
                              X