vBulletin 4.0

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vBulletin 4.0

I'm in development with vBulletin 4.0 to bring it to our forums.
    It will come with no plugins that we have now, but most of the good stuff is built into the new version.

If anyone wants certain 4.0 plugins installed, please post, i'd be more than happy to install them.

Will update with progress here when I get further.

So what exactly would be lost with the transition? (what plugins here aren't available as features of 4.0)
    openMobile - An open source C# Front End (why choose openMobile?)
    - Always Recruiting Developers -
    Like what you see? Donations are always welcome

Comment

I'm actually making a check list. I'll post it when I'm done.

But things like downloads, bbcode extras, pm hacks, statistics, post hacks, profiles are overhauled and more.

Comment

wiki
        live forum stats at the top
        downloads section
        smiley box below editor
        one touch ban
        quote post in PM
        vb ad management
        classifieds section
        vb google maps api
        vbseo
        vb garage
        project tools

So the wiki doesn't matter because we have that new mediawiki as a separate install people will start using

live forum stats are the new posts and new threads, and i want that back so ill checkout the updated version of that

downloads section will stay dead, we will use the autoappmart instead

I gotta bring back the ads for non members

I gotta bring back the classifieds section

SEO is important and will need to upgrade vbseo

vb garage is definitely not supported, but i can make a plugin for you guys based on whatever specs you want to see.

project tools needs updating

Comment

Originally posted by optikalefx View Post
          wiki
          downloads section
          smiley box below editor
          one touch ban
          quote post in PM
          vb ad management
          classifieds section
          vb google maps api
          vbseo
          vb garage
          project tools

So the wiki doesn't matter because we have that new mediawiki as a separate install people will start using

live forum stats are the new posts and new threads, and i want that back so ill checkout the updated version of that

downloads section will stay dead, we will use the autoappmart instead

I gotta bring back the ads for non members

I gotta bring back the classifieds section

SEO is important and will need to upgrade vbseo

vb garage is definitely not supported, but i can make a plugin for you guys based on whatever specs you want to see.

project tools needs updating
          live stats is the only thing I don't think we could do without.
          If you bring back classifieds....bring back something better-the existing plugin is AWFUL.
          openMobile - An open source C# Front End (why choose openMobile?)
          - Always Recruiting Developers -
          Like what you see? Donations are always welcome

Comment

Originally posted by optikalefx View Post
            wiki
            downloads section
            smiley box below editor
            one touch ban
            quote post in PM
            vb ad management
            classifieds section
            vb google maps api
            vbseo
            vb garage
            project tools
            Bolds are my votes for must have. One Touch Ban is a feature i'd definitely like to keep considering i do 5-10 of them most days.
            mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
            Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
            Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

Comment

+2 for One Touch Ban. That is the best feature of this system, bar none.
              Originally posted by ghettocruzer
              I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
              Want to:
              -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
              -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=156444

It seems as thought the 1 touch ban dev has passed away. So its not supported in 4.0. If anyone feels like doing some research on any forums that are on 4.0 and have it, let me know, otherwise i will need to re create it.

Comment

the link doesnt work for me but....

What does 4.0 have that we don't already have? I'm of course looking at it from a moderator perspective AND user perspective
                  mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
                  Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
                  Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

Comment

What does 4.0 have that we don't already have? I'm of course looking at it from a moderator perspective AND user perspective
                    Well it's not really that is HAS more than we have now. Technically because we start over with the plugins it has less.

But since it's been out for about a year, We need to at least consider the upgrade. It's going to be increasingly more difficult to continue supporting something that isn't supported anymore. Like when i get requests - "the classifieds need to be more useful" - its not like i can just go find a new classifies plugin anymore, they are all being updated and maintained for the new version.

We can leave it alone for now, but, while it is a big undertaking, 4.0 is re written and finally follows correct web standard and as new security flaws get fixed, 4.0 will get the fixes, 3.84 will not.

I would never suggest an upgrade right away, but since it's been out in the wild for a bit, has had 4 sub releases (4.0.4) I think its worth the time to see how painful it is to actually do the upgrade.

Comment

Working...
                    X