Forums are out of control

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forums are out of control

Way too many forums, with too many difficult to find, seldom trafficked subforums. Plus endless, outdated, unmaintained FAQs.

The whole thing needs to be consolidated and cleaned up. There's a lot of good information to be had here, but it's a mess. There's less forum participation than I'd expect, probably because things are chopped up so much. Too many threads get few or no responses because there just aren't enough eyeballs in any given forum.

I think there should be a wiki post, the second post of each thread, that could be edited by any member, after a thread grew too large. That would consolidate information and facilitate searches.

So a thread asking for info, would only post a reliable info/solution in the post no. 36, on page 6, that would be copied and pasted back into the wiki right after the OP and so on.

All the forums that have that system seem to work fine and it's very easy to just look into the wiki post and see if there's anything worth to it.
    Worklogs: 08 Sequoia Platinum Carputer (In Progress!)
    Skin: MetroSex on the Beach preview

07 Infiniti Fx35 (done!) & 06 Infiniti M35 (gone...)

Comment

It also dosen't help that the wiki got turned into the Vault, which made a horrible mess of a lot of the information.
      "stop with the REINSTALLS, what do you think we got some lame-o installer!!!" - mitchjs
      RevFE
      My Shop

Comment

Originally posted by Carson Dyle View Post
        Way too many forums, with too many difficult to find, seldom trafficked subforums. Plus endless, outdated, unmaintained FAQs.

The whole thing needs to be consolidated and cleaned up. There's a lot of good information to be had here, but it's a mess. There's less forum participation than I'd expect, probably because things are chopped up so much. Too many threads get few or no responses because there just aren't enough eyeballs in any given forum.
        The long-time members have been screaming for that for some time. The recent update of vBulletin made things even worse.

The mp3car.com staff really don't have time (or desire, I speculate) to revamp FAQs & Wiki. And nobody from the membership has offered to step up to do it, either.
        Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
        How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Why not at least consolidate some of the forums with few threads during their entire existence? Every sub-forum under

Forums > Mp3Car Technical Software > Software & Software Development > Operating System Optimization

should be folded into the parent forum. Two of the forums there have fewer than 10 threads. Numerous other example exist.

Comment

You think its bad searching for stuff.. try moderating it lol. It takes me forever to move posts around because of the endless list of subforums that have to be scrolled. I'll drop another note to Sean about this.
            mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
            Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
            Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

Comment

Originally posted by Sonicxtacy02 View Post
              You think its bad searching for stuff.. try moderating it lol. It takes me forever to move posts around because of the endless list of subforums that have to be scrolled. I'll drop another note to Sean about this.
              Yeah with the older verion at least the forums were listed in a tree format when you went to move a thread, now they are just a list.

Be a bit better if you could at least sort that list alphabetically.

Comment

Originally posted by Carson Dyle View Post
                Are you a big Walter Matthau fan or just a fan of the movie?

VegasGuy

Comment

I think there are a few forums that need to be archived and removed to make it a bit simpler. Especially all of the unsuported software.
                  Never let the truth get in the way of a good story

Comment

I agree. It is very hard for myself at least to find information throughout the forum.

Comment

I've talked to Sean and we're going to do some planning and try to sort through the mess. Stay tuned
                      mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
                      Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
                      Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

Comment

Working...
                      X