This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can we please ban the wannabes?

maybe its the fact that i'm old school, but I think anyone who buys a prebuilt carputer like the one from xenarc, gnet, or trc12volt should be banned. The people who buy these systems, in general, have not taken the time to research the various possibilities for in-car computing--they see an ad in a magazine and say "wow! Cool! I want one!" and drop the $3000 or however much those things cost without having the slightest clue about what it really is, how it works, or how to make it better for thier application.

Then they find us, miraculously, and ask questions like "how do I turn it on?"

These people have no love for the art. Most of them don't know how to build a computer and when they have problems they have no idea how to fix them. I guess I am a purist.

</rant>
    Debt as of 1/1/05: $34,354.48
    Debt as of July 4, 2007: $0.00 explanation
    I'M DEBT FREE!!
    I'm now a reasonably successful gunblogger.

jesus.. shut up

Comment

Things change. As an old schooler myself, I have built my own system. Yes you can now buy systems which are more impressive, but sit tight in the knowledge that you were there near the beginning and that you know how it works. If you don't feel like telling someone how to turn on their computer, it's easy enough to not do so.

I'm sitting tight in the knowledge that I can still out do many commercial systems for both size and power consumption, and that I know how it works from the basic hardware design right up to the home written software that makes it all work.

I don't think these people should be banned for having the cash to have someone else build their system for them. Has this ever been about "thou shalt not have an mp3 car system unless you've built it yourself." Hell, I've even seen questions from people wanting to know how to burn their tunes onto CD so that their MP3 headunit would recognise them.

I say let them stay and let the hobby grow and move with the times.
      Old Systems retired due to new car
      New system at design/prototype stage on BeagleBoard.

Comment

I say let them stay and let the hobby grow and move with the times.
        I'll second that

Comment

I agree they should be banned. In fact lets ban people who go out and buy a CPU off the shelve! What morons! Why can't they just fab there own. Or people who buy a store bought GPS unit and plug it into their home made carputer. We could even go a step further and ban people who built their own computers but put them in a car that they didn'y build themselfs! Are you banning people who didn't make their own cases also? How about people who didn't make their own copper wire?

This form has turned into a form for computers in cars. Does it really matter how it got in there?

Comment

Wizard, you're wining
            [H]4 Life
            My next generation Front End is right on schedule.
            It will be done sometime in the next generation.
            I'm a lesbian too.
            I am for hire!

Comment

well i'm with the wizard on this one, it kind of ****es me off that pretty soon this will be as common as someone having DVD systems in their cars, and those of us who were first will not be special anymore. just like when cd writers came out, now its like everyone and their momma has a cd writer

Comment

Originally posted by StangBoyCIC
                like when cd writers came out, those of us

with cd writer worked hard to make our cd's, now its like everyone and their momma

has a cd writer
                Yeah, popping in a disk is real hard work.

Wow, you REALLY need to get a life.

Comment

you don't understand, i'm talking about when they first came out it wasnt as easy as just "popping a disk in"

Comment

Originally posted by StangBoyCIC

were first will get no credit for anything. like when cd writers came out, those of us
                    What credit do you want? You want credit for having enough money to go and buy it first? You didn't go out and build the equimpent youself did you?

Comment

i say put your 2 cents in where ever you can. fighting only brings two sides not one. so what i say is if they want to learn the hard way let em, but be there when they fall. so everyone just relax. but yes wizard i can agree. art is an art some would rather sit and fart with a dazed look on their face like "did i do that?"
                      I GIVE FREE HUGS!
                      Buy Sell or Trade
                      If my pm box is full, please feel free to call me any time. 440-328-3382
                      Thank you
                      Forex
                      Rate Mp3car @ FXroot.com

Comment

We will always have our CUSTOM installs with out custom casings, screens, software etc. Let them brag about their crappy 7" composites, what you dont know wont hurt you(not incuding budget)
                        -
                        My cars
                        -

Comment

I say let them stay... The more easy it is for them the better it is for me. Since I build my system I got more and more people asking me to help or build them one as well. I sure don't have enough for a business buy I already got enough money to pay for my existing and next self built carputer...
                          What is happening now (both with carputers and HTPCs) reminds me the early Dell days. I was builing my PCs back than just didn't have enough common sense to try and sell them too.

Originally posted by wizardPC
                          maybe its the fact that i'm old school, but I think anyone who buys a prebuilt carputer like the one from xenarc, gnet, or trc12volt should be banned. The people who buy these systems, in general, have not taken the time to research the various possibilities for in-car computing--they see an ad in a magazine and say "wow! Cool! I want one!" and drop the $3000 or however much those things cost without having the slightest clue about what it really is, how it works, or how to make it better for thier application.

Then they find us, miraculously, and ask questions like "how do I turn it on?"

These people have no love for the art. Most of them don't know how to build a computer and when they have problems they have no idea how to fix them. I guess I am a purist.

</rant>

Comment

Remember, creating a market for stuff like the in-car computer is what furthers the technical advancements in that area making it possible for even the greatest of minds to acheive better and greater things.

OK, so OPUS makes a great power supply for cars. That's one less thing I have to build. Now you can set value to it. Do you think it's worth hudreds of dollars? No. ITuner comes around and is inspired to do the same thing for less. OPUS will be forced to lower their prices to compete. More people see the use in them and the demand increases.

Soon Microsoft will have an OS for car computers. I predict that within 5 years these computers will be rolled out as a factory option in low-end cars. It's all thanks to you, the pioneers in car computing.

I love you all equally!

GinoRP
                            VIA M-1K Nh; Lilliput 7" Touch; Earthmate GPS; Slim Slot DVD/CDRw; OBD-2.COM; ATI-Pro TV; RF Wireless KB; USB Thumb 802.11b; 7"x3.5"x7" Lexan Case; 40G Laptop HD; PW-70 w/ITPS; Headliner TV Antenna; XPHome; Delorme Streets 2003/Topo USA

Comment

Originally posted by frodobaggins
                              Wizard, you're wining
                              yeah, i am.

there's no way to ban them, its unrealistic.

didnt expect 13 replies in 3 hours
                              Debt as of 1/1/05: $34,354.48
                              Debt as of July 4, 2007: $0.00 explanation
                              I'M DEBT FREE!!
                              I'm now a reasonably successful gunblogger.

Comment

Working...
                              X