Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Holy grail of forum development!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Holy grail of forum development!!!

    Hey Guys,

    I was just reading through the usual posts in their respectiv forums:

    LCD - Is there any small touchscreen for car use?
    PSU - How do I connect my computer to the car?
    GPS - What is map monkey?

    and thinking about commiting suicide when I realized that 99.9% of the posters of these questions have either 1, 2 or 3 or 4 posts to their names... (They might even post 1 stupid one in each forum, but they dont get a high post count)...

    So here is the idea... whenever a new user signs up, the first 5 posts he makes arent added to the forum. instead, they are processed and a list of "similar threads" is displayed, probably weighed with FAQ-forum posts given priority, and finally after he sees that he has the option of manually adding the post or not. Because this would be only for the first 5 times it wouldnt get too tiring, and I think it might really cut off some stupid questions...

    What do you admins think? I realize it will require a bit of modification in the forum posting system, but it isnt a biggie (the code is pretty well documented if I recall, I made some huge mods in it a few years ago for a site)
    Roy

    2005 Range Rover 4.4
    Any ideas for putting a PC in this? :)

  • #2
    Originally posted by RoyN
    Hey Guys,

    I was just reading through the usual posts in their respectiv forums:

    LCD - Is there any small touchscreen for car use?
    PSU - How do I connect my computer to the car?
    GPS - What is map monkey?

    and thinking about commiting suicide when I realized that 99.9% of the posters of these questions have either 1, 2 or 3 or 4 posts to their names... (They might even post 1 stupid one in each forum, but they dont get a high post count)...

    So here is the idea... whenever a new user signs up, the first 5 posts he makes arent added to the forum. instead, they are processed and a list of "similar threads" is displayed, probably weighed with FAQ-forum posts given priority, and finally after he sees that he has the option of manually adding the post or not. Because this would be only for the first 5 times it wouldnt get too tiring, and I think it might really cut off some stupid questions...

    What do you admins think? I realize it will require a bit of modification in the forum posting system, but it isnt a biggie (the code is pretty well documented if I recall, I made some huge mods in it a few years ago for a site)
    I love it. Seems way impossible, but great idea.

    I think what can be done is during the registration, a stern warning, seperate from the regular BS, in big, bold type, that says, SEARCH BEFORE YOU POST.

    Then, until they reach a post count of 5, when they go to post, you know how the board restricts post to every 45 seconds or so, instead it says,

    "AS A NOOB, YOU MUST WAIT 3 or 4 Minutes. During that time, do a search"
    "If it is determined that your question has been asked before, the your post will be deleted, and your post count reduced.

    Michael
    ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Wiredwrx
      I love it. Seems way impossible, but great idea.
      u think it would be too hard on noobs or what? It isnt much code to add... there probably is a function that gets the similar threads, so it is just a matter of including a mid-screen or error message (like the 45second warning) that displays the similar threads...

      There already is similar threads code built into th forum, why not use it here again?
      Roy

      2005 Range Rover 4.4
      Any ideas for putting a PC in this? :)

      Comment


      • #4
        Further, warnings dont really work... automatic-stuff doesnt either... I work with techsupport automation, so maybe that is why I got this idea...

        but I can tell you... a FAQ list with 5 questions is useless when there is a "E-mail us" link at the bottom... people just rather e-mail you than read the question right there...

        The system we have developed and commercialize in Brazil is kind of like askjeeves.. a person makes a question and we try to match a list of previously-answered questions... we achieve (within a few weeks/months of implementation when the DB is fed enough questions) upto 95% self-service!
        Roy

        2005 Range Rover 4.4
        Any ideas for putting a PC in this? :)

        Comment


        • #5
          While I am no programmer by any stretch of the imagination, I did admin a forum for about 2 years. I can tell you that there was nothing even close to what you suggested. I am sure it can be done, jsut not sure how. Hopefully a programmer will chime in.

          For some reason though, I think it would be easier to add warnings before a post.

          Not really sure though.

          Michael
          ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

          Comment


          • #6
            Well, in my first post I introduced RoutisVoice.
            The policy you are proposing would have been unfair to me
            PowerVoice v1 | NaviVoice Source
            GammaControl v2.4
            SKINbedder v3

            1995 Lexus SC300

            Comment


            • #7
              I see where you are coming from.... it isnt much code AT ALL... I could probably do it pretty quickly if the source were available... (I'm not even sure how the license for vBul is now adays - admins, if u are interested PM)


              Warning would suely be easier, but I dont think it would be effective...(plus, it would be much niftier to have it automatically suggest similar threads)
              Roy

              2005 Range Rover 4.4
              Any ideas for putting a PC in this? :)

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by 0l33l
                Well, in my first post I introduced RoutisVoice.
                The policy you are proposing would have been unfair to me
                Unfair? How? It just would have meant that you would have to go through a couple of steps, or perhaps wait a couple of minutes, before people saw the post.

                That aint too bad. You also had to wait to get the email in your inbox, to click and activate your account.

                Michael
                ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

                Comment


                • #9
                  ol33l, yes... it would be a BIT unfair for about 5 posts.... its a small price to pay though...

                  you wouldnt be barred from posting... not even have to wait 4 mintes... you would just be presented with a list of other threads that might have you anwer/discussion already. and a button that says "No Thanks, post away"
                  Roy

                  2005 Range Rover 4.4
                  Any ideas for putting a PC in this? :)

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Wiredwrx
                    Unfair? How? It just would have meant that you would have to go through a couple of steps, or perhaps wait a couple of minutes, before people saw the post.

                    That aint too bad. You also had to wait to get the email in your inbox, to click and activate your account.

                    Michael
                    Unfair to the educated people. The only thread I ever made about questions for my carpc was i nthe fabrication forum, asking how to fix my broken cupholder and mold in a touchpad in there. This wasn't something that could have come up in a search, and yes, I did search.

                    You activate the account before you get to post
                    PowerVoice v1 | NaviVoice Source
                    GammaControl v2.4
                    SKINbedder v3

                    1995 Lexus SC300

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by RoyN
                      ol33l, yes... it would be a BIT unfair for about 5 posts.... its a small price to pay though...

                      you wouldnt be barred from posting... not even have to wait 4 mintes... you would just be presented with a list of other threads that might have you anwer/discussion already. and a button that says "No Thanks, post away"
                      Ah, so it wouldn't bar the person from posting, but it would just move the (ineffective IMO) suggested threads up to the top. That does sound like a good idea, if you can get the suggested threads to actually suggest threads that pertain to the subject. Some of the links in the suggested threads are totally off
                      PowerVoice v1 | NaviVoice Source
                      GammaControl v2.4
                      SKINbedder v3

                      1995 Lexus SC300

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        You activate meaning merely that you are not lying about your e-mail address.... there is no warranty yhat you arent a dumb-****... hahaha (not the case of any of the fine gentlemen on this thread! )
                        Roy

                        2005 Range Rover 4.4
                        Any ideas for putting a PC in this? :)

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Yeh, some links are off, but surprisingly for noob style questions it works pretty well...

                          It would be basically forcing the user to PREVIEW before posting, with Related Threads on the top, yeah that would be it... (Oh, and this would only be for the first X posts)
                          Roy

                          2005 Range Rover 4.4
                          Any ideas for putting a PC in this? :)

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by RoyN
                            Yeh, some links are off, but surprisingly for noob style questions it works pretty well...

                            It would be basically forcing the user to PREVIEW before posting, with Related Threads on the top, yeah that would be it... (Oh, and this would only be for the first X posts)
                            Ok... this sounds like a good idea. But we should revise the similar posts to match by a higher percentage.
                            This is what came up for this thread:
                            Code:
                            mini projects sub-forum in software development forum  	stevieg  	Suggestions/Comments  	11  	06-06-2004 04:01 AM
                            MUST READ: Forum Rules 	Aaron Cake 	Suggestions/Comments 	25 	02-04-2002 03:02 AM
                            MUST READ: Forum Rules 	Aaron Cake 	Off Topic 	4 	01-31-2002 05:43 PM
                            MUST READ: Forum Rules 	Aaron Cake 	General MP3Car Discussion 	1 	01-30-2002 08:00 AM
                            PowerVoice v1 | NaviVoice Source
                            GammaControl v2.4
                            SKINbedder v3

                            1995 Lexus SC300

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              That, or a simpler version would be to make a user make, say, 5 or 10 posts in previous existing threads before being able to start a new one. That would force them to pay attention at least a little bit...
                              Zen Fat Loss

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X