Has moon sold our email addresses?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has moon sold our email addresses?

Has moon sold our email addresses to a spam company? I've suddenly started getting tons of emails about car audio, mp3 stuff, and a few about mp3car stuff. This is the ONLY place I have ever signed up about anything like that, so it is the only place they could have gotten my address.
    Clarion 200watt head unit w/ Aux in.
    Kicker 800watt 4 channel amp
    In a 96 Grand Prix SE.

*checks mail account

had a message like this:

Hello fellow car audio enthusiast,

We would like to take a moment of your time to introduce you to

MEIsearch - Mobile Electronics Industry Search
    http://www.meisearch.com/

As most of you know, MEIsearch is a group of enthusiasts who became
    frustated with the problems associated with finding specific industry
    related information with conventional search engines. Two years ago
    we did something about it. We launched MEIsearch.com and have spent
    the last 24 months continuously improving and refining our free service.

We are dedicated to bringing the car audio community together and
    helping you find what you're looking for on the internet.

Keep an eye on your inbox for MEInews, which is our forthcoming
    newsletter. It's going to be jam packed with the latest news about
    mobile electronics from around the web.

We do the searching so you don't have to.

Happy Holidays from MEIsearch.com http://www.meisearch.com/

----------

If you would like to see your news listed in MEInews, please let us
    know by sending an email to [email protected]

----------

To remove yourself from this list, please click on the link below http://www.meisearch.com/cgi-bin/mai...antisocial.com
    probably just spam robots or something, coukld have been your email service

Comment

I have not recieved any, but then again my mail is heavily filtered.
      Player: Pentium 166MMX, Amptron 598LMR MB w/onboard Sound, Video, LAN, 10.2 Gig Fujitsu Laptop HD, Arise 865 DC-DC Converter, Lexan Case, Custom Software w/Voice Interface, MS Access Based Playlists
      Car: 1986 Mazda RX-7 Turbo (highly modded), 1978 RX-7 Beater (Dead, parting out), 2001 Honda Insight
      "If one more body-kitted, cut-spring-lowered, farty-exhausted Civic revs on me at an intersection, I swear I'm going to get out of my car and cram their ridiculous double-decker aluminium wing firmly up their rump."

Comment

I got the same mail from www.MEIsearch.com
        www.sounddomain.com/id/2000mp3ranger

Mp3 player - 10.4 Allbrite Gigabyte GA-71XEH , 700 mgz t-bird , coolmaster fan , 2x 128 ram + 1 512ram , ATI-RAEON RV100 ,on bd sound , Linksys Wireless-B usb network adapter , 20G IBM TRAVELSTAR

Comment

I've gotten 3 or 4.
          I need to put in better email filtering.
          Right now I can filter out about 3/4's of the crap, but thats it.
          Clarion 200watt head unit w/ Aux in.
          Kicker 800watt 4 channel amp
          In a 96 Grand Prix SE.

Comment

I got the MEIsearch email too.

As well as tons of crap on ICQ which up until a month or so ago was spam free.
            [SIZE=1]'91 Nissan Stanza

[XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX] XX% Completed -
            Car Totaled and i bought a 20G mp3 player

http://machs-fuel.tk
            a DIY video projector page

Comment

I got that one too, but I also got it on another email address that I have NEVER used here.
              Debt as of 1/1/05: $34,354.48
              Debt as of July 4, 2007: $0.00 explanation
              I'M DEBT FREE!!
              I'm now a reasonably successful gunblogger.

Comment

Yep, I got it too, I say SOMEONE has sold our email addresses. I also get alot of "naughty" emails too. nothing to do with me, I never look at that stuff..

Comment

BUT!! now that I look over it I would say, that is wasn't someone on this board, because I got the same email (the one talked about above) to both my emails, one that is not listed on MP3car..??

Anymore ideas??

Comment

i got the same email, and i only use this email address for getting messages related to this board

kardas
                    http://austmp3car.tk

Comment

ya got same www.MEIsearch.com

think corporate companies just cant help themselves, i meen there must be law saying they just cant add every1 to their mailing list, i certinaly didnt say they could, but it says i can remove myself.

but where did they get my email from?

Comment

Do NOT attempt to remove yourself from their mailing list. Doing so only confirms that your address is active, and thus goes onto a "high priority" spam list to be sold to thousands of other customers. Best thing to do is filter it out and send back fake "Unable To Deliver" messages.
                        Player: Pentium 166MMX, Amptron 598LMR MB w/onboard Sound, Video, LAN, 10.2 Gig Fujitsu Laptop HD, Arise 865 DC-DC Converter, Lexan Case, Custom Software w/Voice Interface, MS Access Based Playlists
                        Car: 1986 Mazda RX-7 Turbo (highly modded), 1978 RX-7 Beater (Dead, parting out), 2001 Honda Insight
                        "If one more body-kitted, cut-spring-lowered, farty-exhausted Civic revs on me at an intersection, I swear I'm going to get out of my car and cram their ridiculous double-decker aluminium wing firmly up their rump."

Comment

I got the same MEIsearch spam, to my mp3car@ address, which is *only* used here on mp3car.com.
                          Player: Celeron II 633MHz, 256MB RAM, 20GB IBM 9mm 2.5" Laptop HD (180G/2ms), onboard ethernet/sound/video/tvout, 10"11"x3" case, MPBS1 70W DC-DC PS w/auto-shutdown controller, in-dash lighted switches, 7" NTSC TFT widescreen in-dash LCD, touchscreen, rear-window brake light installed Garmin GPS35 GPS, credit card sized IR remote w/IRMan, mini-wireless keyboard/mouse (sits under seat), PowerMate black knob, MP3s and GPS Navigation (Winamp, CoPilot, SA8.0).
                          Car: 1993 Nissan Maxima, Black Emerald

Comment

yeah, i got that mei email too. i thought it might have came from sounddomain.com.
                            Aaron: thanks for the remove advice. i always had a feeling thats what a lot of those companies did when you went to the remove page. you now confirmed my theory.
                            2004 F-150
                            Shuttle XPC, 80gig HD, Wireless Internet, DVD
                            "How piMP3d is your ride??"

Comment

Got the MEI one too. Just thought I would let people know!

Merry Christmas all and Happy Holidays!
                              OrangeWhip? OrangeWhip? 3 OrangeWhips!!
                              www.whipflash.com
                              Finally a new Avatar!

Comment

Working...
                              X