Polls: Are they out of hand?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polls: Are they out of hand?

When the subject of allowing members to post threads with polls was brought up, I stated my thoughts on the matter. At the time I could see newbs posting polls about what component to purchase or whatever. I also expressed concern that people are going to post useless bull**** polls (like Llama's Yes/No poll in O/T) just to be silly.

There have been very few polls that are actually worth lookinig at, and all those have been by the moderators and the long-time members of the forums.

I think it's time to re-evaluate the decision to allow polls by forum members. I believe that the useless poll problem is only going to get worse with time and increased membership.
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

agreed. but you're setting yourself up. someone is going to post a poll with this question just to be an a$$

Comment

I think you can only create a poll in a new thread.
      How about the Wiki?

Comment

Do you have more examples of bad polls, other than one in the OT section? I don't see anything bad going on here in terms of polls. People wanted polls to make life easier.

Most polls are thrown up because someone wants a quick answer to something. It saves time, and people don't have to read through the entire thread to get an idea as to what is going on.
        www.mobile-effects.com

Free file hosting, picture gallery hosting for installs, PM me.

Internet's first Front End Skin browser, featured installs, downloads, links, informative articles - all free to registered users.

Comment

Some examples of polls:
          LCD/Display - So.. How fast will this get stolen??
          Show off your project - Genesis Factor's Infiniti G20 Worklog
          Off Topic - Are most forum Polls pointless?
          Off Topic - non-DOA. What does it mean?
          Off Topic - WTF is up with ebay sellers ? or am I naive ?
          Off Topic - Do you have a car poll

Comment

As far as the polls in OT, so what? Off-Topic is there so people can talk about useless garbage anyway.

I haven't seen many in the regular forums, at least have have annoyed me. Of course, I only frequent a few different forums, and they haven't been taken over by newbies yet.
            2000 Subaru OBS

Dell P3 @ 900 Mhz
            7" Lilliput TS w/DigitalWW in-dash mount
            80GB External HD

I am Zero Bitrate....

Comment

I really don't see how my Yes/No poll is any worse then alot of the posts that have no bearing. Heck, it is even in O.T. You even contributed to it, Darque. My question is not nonsense. I enjoy seeing what sort of reactions it gets and I was curious to see if the response would be split. Why not complain about the questions people ask day after day in the Non-O.T forums? What about Scouse's "My Thread"? Graphic Avatars? Or how about this rant?

Comment

I didn't even know I could make polls when starting a new thread... Thanks for the tip.
                I too, don't think that having out-of-context and completely silly polls in OT really be a problem. If you don't like it, don't vote.

Another problem that I do see with polls, however, is the fact that there aren't enough "correct answers" to satisfy what I'm agreeing with, like in the Heatware Poll.

It's a good thing that people are able to express themselves and gather the opinions of others in this forum in more ways than one.
                For Sale: Carputer (CarPC) & RCA Y-Adapter
                Newsflash: Take a look at my unsold stuff above, thanks!
                Up Next: Make an OBD to Serial cable & Redo the "MMI buttons"

Comment

I don't vote in any polls, unless they are relevant to the forum.

Expressing yourself is one thing. But having people vote a recommendation for a specific component is just stupid. For one, it lowers you to mob mentality. But it also makes it easy for someone to register a bunch of B.S. names and convince someone to buy a product they don't need.
                  Now, I don't know that this would happen, but the potential is there.

Newbies are just implementing polls to get their jollies and they're not being used for naything worthwhile in most cases. I guess that I look at it as a wasted feature if it's not improving the forums or the information therein.
                  How about the Wiki?

Comment

Originally posted by DarquePervert

Expressing yourself is one thing. But having people vote a recommendation for a specific component is just stupid. For one, it lowers you to mob mentality. But it also makes it easy for someone to register a bunch of B.S. names and convince someone to buy a product they don't need.
                    Now, I don't know that this would happen, but the potential is there.

Newbies are just implementing polls to get their jollies and they're not being used for naything worthwhile in most cases. I guess that I look at it as a wasted feature if it's not improving the forums or the information therein.
                    I see where you are getting at, but I have a few disagreements. For one "I don't vote in any polls, unless...", so you are instantly biased to my poll. Now you are retreating your original arguement about "bull**** polls (like Llama's Yes/No poll in O/T) just to be silly." Now you say they are ok, but it's the polls with misinformation that are bad. BTW, I'm not a newb and my poll actually has sociological/psychological value. Is it going to be 50/50? Or are the people on the forum open to agreement, or are they more conservative? And besides, this is my first Poll! It isn't like I'm a damn poll-troll.

I think this thread is a wasted feature too.

Comment

Originally posted by TheLlama
                      I see where you are getting at, but I have a few disagreements. For one "I don't vote in any polls, unless...", so you are instantly biased to my poll.
                      It's not just your poll. Yes, I referenced yours as the most recent and glaring example of what I'm talking about. Yours isn't the only bull**** poll.

Now you are retreating your original arguement about "bull**** polls (like Llama's Yes/No poll in O/T) just to be silly." Now you say they are ok, but it's the polls with misinformation that are bad. BTW, I'm not a newb and my poll actually has sociological/psychological value. Is it going to be 50/50? Or are the people on the forum open to agreement, or are they more conservative? And besides, this is my first Poll! It isn't like I'm a damn poll-troll.

I think this thread is a wasted feature too.
                      Last I checked these forums were about vehicle computing, not sociological or psychological experiments. Yes, it was in off-topic, but be real, man.

I can tell you without the need for a poll that people on these (or any other forum, for that matter) will never fully agree with you, only because they are individuals. Anyone that does agree with you fully is probably lying and/or kissing your *** for whatever reason.

Perhaps this thread is a waste. Perhaps not.
                      It's allowing me to voice my suggestion and opinions about the ability for forum members to conduct polls in threads. I don't think it's needed and will get out of hand, as I stated when the subject was originally brought up.
                      Now, a few months later, I'm bringing up the subject again for review so that the owners/admins/moderators know there's at least one person who thinks that it's a bad idea and why.
                      This IS the Suggestions forum, after all.
                      How about the Wiki?

Comment

Originally posted by DarquePervert
                        Interesting, I saw you voted in Llama's poll EDIT: nm - you just posted a couple times in his poll.

Originally posted by Darque
                        Last I checked these forums were about vehicle computing, not sociological or psychological experiments
                        Dude you need to chill, you're talking about something in the OT section.

Originally posted by En4cer
                        free post as this is not in OT
                        Agreed.

If you find another poll elsewhere that isn't relevant or that you feel isn't up to your standards Darque, just do what everyone else does and report it. Instead of wasting time here, you could have already reported them all and moved on.

Now can someone tell me wtf is wrong with Genesis' poll? Or were you just posting examples of polls here?
                        www.mobile-effects.com

Free file hosting, picture gallery hosting for installs, PM me.

Internet's first Front End Skin browser, featured installs, downloads, links, informative articles - all free to registered users.

Comment

Originally posted by SnyperBob
                          Interesting, I saw you voted in Llama's poll EDIT: nm - you just posted a couple times in his poll.

It was supposed to be tongue-in-cheek, but I'm pretty certain is got lost in translation.

Dude you need to chill, you're talking about something in the OT section.
                          Why does everybody think I'm ****ed off all the time and that I need to chill?
                          I'm very chill. I'm stating my opinion on this particular matter, plain and simple.

I admit that I'm blunt and to the point. I'm free-flowing with my opinions (good or bad) and I don't pad them for anybody. Life's to short to worry about how someone's going to react and, quite frankly, other peoples' reactions to my statements aren't my problem. I'm not going to change the way I express myself for anyone and I wouldn't expect anyone else to change for my benefit, either.
                          How about the Wiki?

Comment

I didn't read the whole thread, but I could care less about the polls. I haven't seen them being over used that much. If you feel the poll is pointless then don't vote.
                            Installed
                            Asus A7N8X-VM - AMD Mobile Athlon 2400
                            512 Ram - 60GB HD - Opus 150w
                            Lilliput 7" - Rikaline 6010
                            [00000000000001100010-] 98% Completed

Check Out My Install!!!

Comment

Working...
                            X