Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Regarding thread subject names

Hey guys,

one little gripe I am noticing quite a bit lately, the names given to thread subjects.... for example...
    • LM2587 chip getting too hot
    • ok sorry- newbie question

now the first one is great, gets specific about the problem in question using the model number, etc.... the second one, do we say its is a little bit general? I always feel the subject line of any piece of data (email/forum thread/news article/etc) should really sum up the feel/topic of the rant in under 10 words IMHO.

Its just that we often tell people to 'seach the forums' looking for answers.... I think it is nicer if we can do effective searches on thread subjects, which really should be the crux of the search anyway. Unless of course u want to get a listing of all 'newbie' posts in the last 6 months!

any thoughts? I should I crawl back into my hole with loads of verbal abuse comming from other mp3car.com members!
    Project - GAME OVER :(

I completely agree (I thought I was the only one who found this annoying). With vague subject lines I will more than likely ignore them, as I can't be bothered to waste some of my 56k bandwidth (and time) downloading them to find out what they are really about.

Rob
    Old Systems retired due to new car
    New system at design/prototype stage on BeagleBoard.

Comment

so its just Rob and me then with a view on this? With some of the thread names in the past few days I guess my attempt at a successful rant is over...

Comment

Ahh, but any sucessful rant needs time to be absorbed.

yes! I agree with you: everyone needs to be more thorough and specific in their answers across the board, and a better, more formalized FAQ needs to be built and regularly maintained. If we had that kind of policy setup, then we could (without remorse) lay the proverbial "smackdown" on said nubs.

The "newbie" titled threads do nothing to help get answers. It's just growing into a pseudonym for "I'm to lazy to find it myself"

*sigh*

Comment

I agree with you all totally. It's very annoying, and I too will probably not look at the tread if it doesn't have a descriptive name, unless im really bored.

re: the Faq. Im sure we all agree that we need a decent and maintained faq. How bout a site with a FAQ, list of usefull links, and some HowTo's to cover the important areas, that members could write and submit. And maybe product reviews too.
          http://www.mp3vl.tk Plans and progress on my install - (Updated 28 June 02)
          Australian mp3car Portal
          mp3car related links Check them out / Add some
          mp3car FAQ - RTFF

[########==]80% Assembling
          -=Current Progress: Working Sproggy supply, building box.=-

Comment

Originally posted by hornet
            re: the Faq. Im sure we all agree that we need a decent and maintained faq. How bout a site with a FAQ, list of usefull links, and some HowTo's to cover the important areas, that members could write and submit. And maybe product reviews too.
            would be nice, but these things often die off due to lack of interest.....

Comment

Yeah, I agree with whatever we are discussing..... Whatever the plan was, I say, lets do it... and I am being serious here....
              2 week temp ban (spam and complaining about deleted posts)
              register another account and you're gone for good.

Comment

I think the reason some people don't use a descriptive subject is to generate a curiousness about the thread.

I agree with more descriptive subjects, I'm just trying to + my $.02.
                Aura MR62 (F and R)
                My Current MP3s
                IamDefiler.com

Comment

While I do agree that thread names should be more descriptive....you can search thread titles or contents of the thread with your search term. I know that search the contents of thread takes longer and the list is usually bigger than if you just searched the title....but the SEARCH function still works under the current system of crappy thread naming!!

$.02!!

Comment

That's great if all you do is search. My setup is pretty much complete and I tend to come here just to see what other people are up to and offer help where possible. "View New Posts" is my first stop, and I'm presented with a list of subject names and have limited bandwidth...

Rob
                    Old Systems retired due to new car
                    New system at design/prototype stage on BeagleBoard.

Comment

Ok so im not the only one with this problem.....

I agree

also i feel the search button should be different in looks and eyechatching..

mastero

Comment

Working...
                      X