download area and faq

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• download area and faq

I think there should be a download area where the most common or popular files etc. are stored. Like winamp plugins etc. That would be great.
    A good FAQ would also help with a lot of repetative questions.

YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES
    2 week temp ban (spam and complaining about deleted posts)
    register another account and you're gone for good.

Comment

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

although it sounds like a good idea to have a centralized location for downloading... can you imagine the bandwidth and storage requirements to keep this site open at all times.

the current system of linking sites and outside servers to hold files such as pictures and programs seems to work quite well... im not bashing your idea 2K1... but it doesnt really take into consideration many hard truths about data storage and access.

plus, if we did start up a file sharing service, it would only get bigger with time, and therefore require more storage space and more bandwidth as more files get saved. plus, it would also open the door for mp3 and program trading, which has become a big NO-NO here. we dont need the undue attention of anti-piracy advocates and the likes from the RIAA (etc.)

sorry to come off like an a-hole... but that is the truth about what will happen...

and by the way... good arguement mp3kid... i think you had me convinced by the 17th "YES" .... how could i think otherwise with your rock solid arguement for this service!!!

~mike

edit: as for the FAQ.... there are a couple FAQ's floating around and people are always suggesting that we need a common FAQ, but no one wants to do the work for it. so, thats the story on the FAQ... plus there are always going to be people that don NOT read the FAQ and post questions covered by it anyway!!!!
      Single Member of the "1000 Post and No MP3 Car" Club
      PROJECT ON INDEFINATE HOLD... BOUGHT A HOUSE
      2000 Cavalier Z24 [###-------] Only 30% Done ... Still

Comment

I am not talking about letting ppl upload stuff. The owner and mods should know what stuff is needed by now and just put it up or have a central page to link to it from another site.
        In order for this site to go to the next step, there needs to be more. I have dealt with this with my site 7thgencivic.com. I am running my own dedicated server now with help from donations. I did over 200GB of bandwidth last month. It is crazy, but there will be a time when this site will need to get the next step. It is growing kinda fast.

As for the faq, it should be up to the mods and the owner to write it. I certainly don't know enough to do it. I had my mods and myself do mine for my site.

Anyway, just ideas.

Comment

As far as the FAQs go I think your best bet would be having teams of regs and mods write them. Those who are particularly talented with psus for instance could create a psu faq.. lcd folk could take care of that.. etc..

Then someone with the skill to pull stuff like that together can compile all of the information and arrange it in a logical fashion.
          aka Kumaneko
          "Don't make me moderate your ***!"
          Maxima of Doom - project thread - photo gallery
          mp3car system is currently FUBAR and finances do not allow for a correction of that situation
          Real computer hackers use a rotary cutting tool on their motherboard.

Comment

I believe that centralized info is a good thing. Especially when someone is new and wants to conquer the GIGANTIC learning curve associated with mp3car.com. Lots of people bash nOOBs when they ask dumb questions, but not too many people are willing to sit down and explain everything to them. We should start building a list of FAQ's like How do I Power This Thing?, What screen should I use? Where Do I Get The Hardware? Software Options Do I Have?. As far as file sharing goes...the files dont have to be stored on this page, I just think that if we could build a list of LEGAL software and link out to the place where that software is available, that would help greatly.
            90% Done
            60W DC-DC & shutdown controller
            Via C3 800, 512mb Ram, HDD 75GB IBM Deskstar, 5.6" In dash Dcustoms LCD w/ 3m USB Touch setup
            Rockfors 400s 400W amp,2x 10" Rockford Subs, Sony CDX M730 Head unit
            All in a shiny White 2000 V6 Mustang
            Click here to visit my NEW PhotoAlbum

Comment

okay... so i just had an idea....

instead of having people write an entire FAQ for a section or a topic, perhaps we can have a sticky thread at the top of each section. in this thread, the forum members can post typical questions WITH answers....

i.e.
              Q: How do I use a laptop screen in my car?
              A: You need a VGA control card to interface the laptop screen... continued on with more detail...what to buy, where to buy, etc...

with this thread we can keep a running list of typical newbie type questions... eventually, perhaps someone can cut and paste the questions and answers into a web page and...wham... instant FAQ.

with that sticky thread... we can get input from many users and not require one person to generate the FAQ for that section. because i know that if i tried to write an entire FAQ, i would probably leave out half the questions i have seen. plus, with a sticky thread, new users can browse the listed questions while the FAQ is being compiled.

just a thought that popped into my head... what do you think...

~mike

Comment

The sticky threads is a good idea.. that's actually how the maxima.org forums are.

In each forum you can have a sticky thread with a title like "LCD FAQ - Check here first!!"

then you just add new posts to add more Qs&As
                aka Kumaneko
                "Don't make me moderate your ***!"
                Maxima of Doom - project thread - photo gallery
                mp3car system is currently FUBAR and finances do not allow for a correction of that situation
                Real computer hackers use a rotary cutting tool on their motherboard.

Comment

I am all for that. at least it's something.

I am more concerned with a file area. It's so hard to find all the apps ppl use sometimes. Liek that resumer plugin for winamp, i couldn't remember tha name for the longest time, then I found it one day.

D

Comment

Originally posted by THEMP3KID
                    YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES
                    One "yes" would have sufficed.

As for the FAQ, go ahead and give it a try...But every major effort to build a FAQ for this forum has fallen apart.
                    Player: Pentium 166MMX, Amptron 598LMR MB w/onboard Sound, Video, LAN, 10.2 Gig Fujitsu Laptop HD, Arise 865 DC-DC Converter, Lexan Case, Custom Software w/Voice Interface, MS Access Based Playlists
                    Car: 1986 Mazda RX-7 Turbo (highly modded), 1978 RX-7 Beater (Dead, parting out), 2001 Honda Insight
                    "If one more body-kitted, cut-spring-lowered, farty-exhausted Civic revs on me at an intersection, I swear I'm going to get out of my car and cram their ridiculous double-decker aluminium wing firmly up their rump."

Comment

The sticky idea is a great one, and I've seen it put to good use at other forums. And as far as people not wanting to help the "noobs," I think most originally started out trying to help everyone, and got overwhelmed, and then bitter about it (if you have a 8 year old niece/nephew/sibling that constantly asks what? where? how? why? and starts another question before hearing the answer, you know the feeling). I think a list and links of "commonly used software" would be better than a "downloads page," simply because of the sheer varaity of software odds and ends that we as a community use, not to mention some is freeware, some shareware, and some purchase only. Also, depending on what you're going to do dictactes what software you will want to use, again, in my eyes, making a general links list better.
                      -Nick

Comment

Originally posted by mp3z24
                        okay... so i just had an idea....
                        Wow, is that a first (sorry couldn't help myself, no offense ment)

Anyway wasn't there a suggestion a while back to take good examples of common newbie sytle threads and put them in archieve, or something? That way it would be easy to point people in the correct direction without, writting an FAQ, or having to use dare I say it, the search function, to find the answer.
                        And you say people actually pay money for M$ Windows?
                        www.mp3mini.co.uk (Does what it says on the URL) www.openclassic.co.uk (The new car, with zero rust!) www.rob-web.co.uk (My other site)
                        Total re-design underway: on the whole progress is very slow as the car is taking up too much time :)

Comment

I'm going to second this idea, especially the download area. For example today I went off searching for the pinouts for the allenrubble controller and while I found many of the pinouts, there was only 1 thread I found where someone had 4 of the 5 pins identified for the inverter portion of it. Having a place in this forum with simply PDF files of LCDS, controllers, datasheets, etc would be a great benefit to everyone.

p.s. I still need that pinout if anyone has it. (just the inverter portion of the allen controller)

Comment

Originally posted by SuperMatty
                            p.s. I still need that pinout if anyone has it. (just the inverter portion of the allen controller)
                            last post on this thread...

~mike

Comment

Working...
                            X