northeast real meet?!?!?!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• northeast real meet?!?!?!

O.K., so I've seen a few meets local to me & thought about attending, but judging the fourum posts it looked like there would only be a few installs & more than a few people with nothing, but just coming to check it out, & then a meet that winded up being just that.

I've also noticed a few other meets that weren't too local to me, but within traveling distance of an hour or two, but they appeared to be a little lame also, & I'm sure even those that attended, or almost attended didn't treat the attendance of the meet as a real prority because of the above mentioned facts.

It then dawned on me that the problem is that our hobby is probably not saturated enough to produce a good local meet, I shouldn't even say that, as I haven't attended any really, but from what I've seen it appears that way to me anyway...I would asume guys in like calli would have an awsome meet because it seems there are just a lot more custom car stuff in general out there in la la land...

now I had a thought, what if the meet was organized as a larger geographical attendance, in other words instead of a small meet here & a small meet there, what if say a tri-state meet was organized for say the spring, or...what if a north east meet was organized, If there were many more people claiming attendance then there would also be many more that wouldn't want to miss this, so it would become a higher priority to them & the end result should be a much larger meet, the kind of meet that would change even those who considered a meet as a"... maybe if I'm not doing nothing" ,to a "I gotta go to this..."

just a thought....I do see the obvious problems with such a plan, of course it will take a bit more organization than just meeting in a mall parking lot...or would it?...I would think that a meet like this will require permission or a public place that wouldn't require that...A larger meet would be a bit more complicated, but I think it would be well worth the effort, & I know that I wouldn't want to miss it...

just food for thought....any inputs....???
    MY NEWEST INSTALL:modded infiniti fx with big screen

first windows carpc install........my liquid cooled LVDS screen :D

Sign up fee of $5. That'll get door prizes. It might also get people serious about going. A yearly meet. I'm from MA, btw.
    ,./(0)3

'04 Canyon 4x4 pickup

[---PC on hold----working on external fiberglass "tool" box---]

Comment

winter is here. im sure there will be more people that get their projects finished. Although depending on how well orginized and how large this meet would be, would be the deciding factors for my attendence to the show. What i mean is im not gonna drive two states away unless i can maybe listen to a band and grab a hotdog and tshirt.
      I GIVE FREE HUGS!
      Buy Sell or Trade
      If my pm box is full, please feel free to call me any time. 440-328-3382
      Thank you
      Forex
      Rate Mp3car @ FXroot.com

Comment

Same here, Im in Vermont, do not want to travel too far, but would if it was big enough
        1992 z71 Chevy

Comment

Originally posted by jjh221
          What i mean is im not gonna drive two states away unless i can maybe listen to a band and grab a hotdog and tshirt.
          Sure you can listen to a band, isn't that why you built your carputer?

Hotdogs are easy. That so makes me want to wire a grill ignigter relay to my paralell port

Tshirts are easy too.

In all seriousness. If you want a mega-meet, it needs to be done right and needs to be mega. Someone would have to foot a bill and consider charging admission (donations, etc.?)
          ,./(0)3

'04 Canyon 4x4 pickup

Comment

Id be all for the mega meet with donations/tickets. Could we rent a large place that business could come and set up shop as well. Something else to learn and check out. Or does anyone own a field?
            I GIVE FREE HUGS!
            Buy Sell or Trade
            Thank you
            Forex
            Rate Mp3car @ FXroot.com

Comment

Could we rent a large place that business could come and set up shop as well
              Parking lot with Tents?
              ,./(0)3

'04 Canyon 4x4 pickup

Comment

im thinking of an all nighter with tents. Can we do this in a parking lot?
                I GIVE FREE HUGS!
                Buy Sell or Trade
                Thank you
                Forex
                Rate Mp3car @ FXroot.com

Comment

im thinking of an all nighter with tents. Can we do this in a parking lot?

Can you sleep in your car if need be? I won't go to an all-nighter unless there is a large fire involved lol. Actually, an all nighter might be good. I know several spots around me, but MA isn't a central location. NY or CT isn't bad.
                  ,./(0)3

'04 Canyon 4x4 pickup

Comment

mmmm i can smell the fire now. A field would be awesome. just have to wait till spring. I can sleep in my truck.
                    I GIVE FREE HUGS!
                    Buy Sell or Trade
                    Thank you
                    Forex
                    Rate Mp3car @ FXroot.com

Comment

sure id be down...
                      My Install

Software:
                      CFiG v1
                      iGuidance Plugin for CF

CarShell
                      Working shell for a CarPC

StopWatch
                      StopWatch plugin remade for centrafuse RC1

Comment

If you can pull this off, do it sometime after may of this year, make it within a 2 hour drive of maryland, and get at least 100 people to show up. I'd would sponser the event through my company. This would mean a couple hundred dollars for event costs and maybe a prize like a xenarc 700tsv.
                        StreetDeck.com Developer (I am Chuck)
                        Get StreetDeck at http://www.streetdeck.com
                        The Official StreetDeck Forums have moved, please visit us at http://www.streetdeck.com/forum for official support for Streetdeck.

Comment

Count me in, A large meet would be alot of fun
                          I would def think a nite time event would be better.

We could go to a state/county park if we want some privacy. most, if not all have large parking fields where the cars could be shown with camp grounds for those that need to spend the nite. Fees for such grounds are fairly cheap depending which park you go to.

I'v dealt with the parks on LI, the county are something like $25 for the weekend, Im not sure what the state are but I believe there not too much more. I can make a few calls and get the prices if people are interested in the parks.

Other options would be renting the parking lot of someplace, tents would be go if it rains however i think if this is an evening event they wont be neccessary.

Which ever way we go a registration fee should be done so that an expected attendance could be figured out. Depending what we do possibly include food/shirt/prizes in that cost.

Is this something that we would be having for the public? ie non-mp3car people? or would it just be larger multi-state show off your projects? I got the feeling that turbocad6 wanted something more like a car show where we would be showing off our projects.
                          This doesnt really bother me its just that something of that nature would require alot more planning then a simplier overnite car meet /w bbq fun and games.

what kind of events did everyone want to do?
                          Ive seen a bon fire(fun) obviously showing off systems? anything else. If we get enough people im sure we could talk to some comapnies to send demos or something. maybe a raffle or other compition?

I currently have the time to help organize something, so lets get t his thing started.

side note: perhaps we should get a poll going to see what interest is in something like this instead of counting the posts this thread. so far i see 5

just saw god of cpu's post and realized i didnt say im from Long Island. I'll still help if its not here though, may-summer is def a better time to do this
                          amd 1700, biostar m7ncg 400, hitachi deskstar 120 8mb , 512 pc2700, liliput 7"
                          now to put it all together

Comment

cool ideas...we have all winter...where ever it is someone could hand out some flyers. We need some booty there.
                            I GIVE FREE HUGS!
                            Buy Sell or Trade
                            Thank you
                            Forex
                            Rate Mp3car @ FXroot.com

Comment

@turbocad6

why didn't you come to the first meet back in september at roosevelt? you make it sound like anyone who doesn't have a computer in their car are more or less worthless because there's nothing to look at. people think its lame because the people that think its lame don't go. so there aren't that many people. we might do another meet on the island in a few months. you should really check it out. lame or not, its only 4 hours out of a saturday or sunday that you would be spending.

i hope im not offending you or belittleing you. i mean yes...the last meet i think maybe 5 cars showed up. 3 had systems while two didn't. i think the whole point of the meets are so people can exchange ideas and people without systems can see what works and what doesn't. for example, the first meet at the mall, we figured out that my 8" monitor wouldn't fit into a 350z without any cutting. the 350z, of course, had no carputer..but he was planning on putting one in.

back to the main purpose of the thread, i would love more than anything to see a massive east coast mp3car meet. however, as you harped upon before, the hoopy isn't saturated nearly enough. a huge problem for those of us that are in the hoppy, is that we have to contend with school, work, family, etc. things come up last minute all the time. That will be your biggest obstacle to overcome if you want to plan a meet of this magnitude. you have to come up with 1) a place equally convenient for everyone and 2) a date thats not too near so people can get the time off or whatever, and not too far away so that people can't even tell if they have to do something (vacation, job change, etc).

start off with this thread: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=348703

on page 7 start signing up. maybe people in other areas can make similar lists and when it comes time to plan the big event we can generate one large list with these smaller lists..
                              rebuilding carpc... kinda..

Comment

Working...
                              X