X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Credit Card Decision Help?

OK,

Here goes....

I used to have 6 credit cards (about 3 months ago). I'm 22 (almost 23 in May). I have a credit score in the high 760s.

I had 3 American Express cards (1 Costco (Still have), 1 Blue, and 1 Optima Platinum)
    I had a Paypal Plus Card
    I had a Shell Mastercard (By Citi)
    And I have a Flexible Earnings GM Mastercard

Now... I like having at least 3 credit cards at any given time.

I got rid of the paypal card, because my limit wasn't high enough for some things I want to get ($1,750), I got rid of the 2 AmEx cards because... why have 3 of those, (I use the Costco one most often), and the only reason I had the Shell one was because I was paying off a balance transfer that I had to do because I was out of work for a bit and didn't make 2 payments and lost my 0%... so I transfered to the Shell and finished paying the $2000 balance in like 3 months.

So... what kind of card do you guys think is good? I like getting airline miles, or other cool stuff, but rewards aren't too important. I do want a low APR (Something in the 8%-9% range?). I don't think it would be too difficult to get b/c of my credit score being what it is...

I had a Discover card about 3-4 years ago, canceled that one because it was crazy (So, I'd like to stay away from them if possible)...

So, really I'd like your guys'/gals' (Red ) opinions...

Thanks,

Rafster
    Post # 3000

None, credit is bad... Unless you pay it off in full every month.
    ODYSSEY

Originally posted by Tidder
    Hey, as long as it's not any particular race I'm offending, I can stand to be a pedophile.
    All information expressed in this post is my opinion, and should not be regarded as a statement of fact.
    Digital-Car UK|

(\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by ODYSSEY View Post
      None, credit is bad... Unless you pay it off in full every month.
      Well... that is the idea of it... I have a much more secure job now, I will be a regional manager of 2 cricket stores in San Diego.

Since that $2000, balance that I had going, I no longer let balances carry over. Always pay EVERYTHING back in full.

So... yeah... any suggestions?

Rafster
      Post # 3000

Comment

Chase Freedom - 3% cash back at select store, 1% everywhere, no annual fee.

Since you are paying off the balance in full every month, APR does not ever matter.
        ODYSSEY

Originally posted by Tidder
        Hey, as long as it's not any particular race I'm offending, I can stand to be a pedophile.
        All information expressed in this post is my opinion, and should not be regarded as a statement of fact.
        Digital-Car UK|

(\__/)
        (='.'=)
        (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by Rafster View Post
          Well... that is the idea of it... I have a much more secure job now, I will be a regional manager of 2 cricket stores in San Diego.

Rafster
          America has a Cricket Team ?, You play cricket... Im shocked...

Comment

Originally posted by AMC 96 TE Magna View Post

MyCricket : Cell phones and Unlimited Plans - No Contracts - MyCricket.com

Rafster
            Post # 3000

Comment

Originally posted by AMC 96 TE Magna View Post
              That's what I was thinking. Never mind though, they'd be no good at it anyway
              I installed my carpc into my pet Kangaroo, mate.

Comment

OK, the Chase freedom looks good....

Which one though?

Rafster
                Attached Files
                Post # 3000

Comment

Why do you need more than one credit card? I think you are too used to having too many I've got one credit card that I always pay back, and my debit/credit card that is tied to my checking account.
                  AMD XP 2600+/512MB RAM/120GB hard drive
                  Opus 150W/DVD/GPS/7" Lilliput TS/802.11g/Bluetooth
                  Installed.

-GPSSecure- - GPS Tracking
                  -AltTabber2.2.2- - Handy touchscreen utility.

Comment

Back in the college day, I used to have about 5 or 6 CC. Now aday, I only have 2 a Visa and a MC. The Chase MC I have was back in 94 with $500 credit line that has rebate of 5% on gas and 1% everything else. This card use to be Shell Chase card and can only earn rebate on Shell gasoline. When Shell go to Citi, Chase give me the gasoline rebate on any brand not just Shell. Now it call Chase Freedom card or whatever. I use this card for 2 purpose only: gasoline and online purchase because it has a very low limit (2K). I never want it to has more than 1K limit but they gave it to me and I have to place a gap on it. My average use on this card is about 400 bucks/month (3 cars to feed + my geek craziness), and I pay off the balance each month.
                    If you can get a CC with 5% petro rebate, it worth keeping it now a day.
                    The other card I use for basically almost everything I purchase.
                    Back in 03 when I was in market for a new car. I look at the Acura TL-TypeS no Nav. After 1/2 hr negotion, I agreed on the OTD price which is very good. I finance guy give me a loan for 7.25% interest. I ask him if that the best he can do, his answer was yes. I show him the People First check which only has 3.75% interest on 20K for 36 months. I ask if he can meet or beat the rate, he said no. I walk over the Toyota dealer and get the Matrix for 19K OTD using the check instead.

Recently (2wks ago), I look at my credit score and it was like 867. I was like what? Isn't it 850 is the max. One of the reason they say was "Too few retail account activities".
                    2004 Matrix XR A7N8X-VM/400 AMD XP-M 2500+, DS-ATX
                    89 Supra Turbo P3 [email protected]/Abit BE6 II, Alpine M-BUS Car2PC.
                    Y2K Accord Dell GX150
                    RoadRunner is the best FE PERIOD
                    EmoRebellion is a SCAMMER

Comment

Two of the cards that I have are the enhanced savings cards. They round every purchase up to the next dollar and save the change. I end up putting a few hundred dollars a month away (I do all of my purchasing every day on my credit cards, which then get paid off every week by my primary checking account- yay for automated bill pay?).

So far in 2007 I've managed to put away $1,127 just from those two credit cards in savings. Add that to the $250 a month I already put away and yeah....

And really off topic: How do you like San Diego? I have an interview with the San Diego Police Department as a criminologist at the end of April, and since the job has pretty much been promised to me (there are no other candidates up for promotion or transfer with my level of experience or degrees) I need to start house shopping...

Comment

Originally posted by Derwood View Post
                        And really off topic: How do you like San Diego? I have an interview with the San Diego Police Department as a criminologist at the end of April, and since the job has pretty much been promised to me (there are no other candidates up for promotion or transfer with my level of experience or degrees) I need to start house shopping...
                        SD is nice, but for housing, make sure you bring a truckload of cash with you.
                        2004 Matrix XR A7N8X-VM/400 AMD XP-M 2500+, DS-ATX
                        89 Supra Turbo P3 [email protected]/Abit BE6 II, Alpine M-BUS Car2PC.
                        Y2K Accord Dell GX150
                        RoadRunner is the best FE PERIOD
                        EmoRebellion is a SCAMMER

Comment

Originally posted by Rafster View Post
                          OK, the Chase freedom looks good....

Which one though?

Rafster
                          I like my Starwood. Earn points towards stays in awesome starwood hotels. In fact, went to France and Belgium for Christmas and New Years, stayed in 5star hotels the entire time and didn't pay a penny. CAN'T BEAT THAT.

Michael
                          ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

Comment

Originally posted by Derwood View Post
                            San Diego is IMO the best place to live. It's kind of expensive, but there are A LOT of benefits to living here.

1. Beach = BEAUTIFUL WOMEN!!!
                            2. It's proximity to Tijuana (This can be a bad thing.. but good if your underage... )
                            3. There is only one part of San Diego I would never, Ever want to live in and thats Logan Heights. WAAAAY too ghetto.. Other than that every place is pretty decent.
                            4. It's only 2hrs from LA.
                            5. You can tell people (when you travel) that you're from San Diego, and watch their eyes glow green with envy. That's the 2nd to best part...
                            6. Oh, yeah... did I mention the BEAUTIFUL WOMEN?

If you do actually move here, we can hang. It's always good to have friends in the P.D.....

Rafster

Originally posted by xBrady View Post
                            Why do you need more than one credit card? I think you are too used to having too many I've got one credit card that I always pay back, and my debit/credit card that is tied to my checking account.
                            The reason I like having at least 3 CCs is that I like the ability to choose which cards to take with me on different trips.

I take the Costco (AMEX) with me all the time because I pay for gas with it.. (Executive 2% discount + Amex 2% Discount ) I use the GM Card most of the time, not to get GM points but it gives me some other stuff I like also.... Flyer miles, etc....

I would like to have another card for when I don't necessarily want to use the GM and the place doesn't accept AmEx (Several places don't b/c it costs them more to accept payments...)

Rafster
                            Post # 3000

Comment

I'm from NY. We colonize the world, and hten when we're done, we take the captives and put them in zoos like China town and little Italy and spanish harlem and Brooklyn so that other NYers don't have to travel to see them. Then, every so often, we parade them around the city, like the puerto rican day parade to show our awesomeness!
                              Carputer Progress: Here we go again...

THE GF THEME
                              Genesis has speed
                              Genesis has class
                              Genesis sent money
                              before your a__;)

Join the fight against carputters. EMAIL ME!

Comment

Working...
                              X