Car Alarm recommendations among other things

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car Alarm recommendations among other things

I just moved to a bad area (near Allentown, PA) and some of the neighbors say that car break-ins are common. I need some advice for an alarm that is $300 or less, as well as I was wondering if its possible to build a car cell phone charger? Is there anything complicated about that? I have a Motorola talkabout if it makes any difference.

here is the one I got and works good for me alarm
    www.sounddomain.com/id/2000mp3ranger

Mp3 player - 10.4 Allbrite Gigabyte GA-71XEH , 700 mgz t-bird , coolmaster fan , 2x 128 ram + 1 512ram , ATI-RAEON RV100 ,on bd sound , Linksys Wireless-B usb network adapter , 20G IBM TRAVELSTAR

Comment

well... looks like you're going for inexpensive rather than top of the line...
      here's what I got
      http://www.clifford.com/products/cp_ag4.htm
      AvantGuard 4 includes:

All of the security and convenience features of the Concept 600, except the Dual-Zone OmniSensor- PLUS all of the remote starting features of the Solaris
      Accepts new plug-in Dual-Zone OmniSensor (remotely adjustable)
      Digital Tilt/Motion Sensor
      Exclusive Wireless Immobilizer
      Untraceable, unbreachable 3rd-point immobilization of the fuel pump or other device for ultimate security
      Smart Self-Powered Siren 4

here's the feature chart
      http://www.clifford.com/products/c_fchart.htm

anyways.. retail.. expect about $1000 for the alarm installed.

Luckily, i used to be an installer, and bought the alarm from my old work for $300 and did the install myself.... and yes, it was a pain.
      Car: 2000 Toyota Celica GT-S
      Mods: Yep
      Carputer: VIA M9000 | Opus 150 | 512MB PC2100 | 60GB Notebook HD | Slim/Slot DVD/CDRW | Audigy2NX | Xenarc 700TSV | (2) DSCustoms DS700HRS (in trunk) | SMC USB 802.11b | CoPilot | DLink FM tuner | Cliffnet

Comment

If you have a newer car, and don't mind paying a few dollars extra, look at Crutchfueld.com and they may have a direct connect harness for your vehicle to make the installation much easier...

-Mario

Comment

Love the Alpince SEC-8063.

Comment

As long as you have a few tools you can make a phone charger using some common parts. Take a look here:
            http://www.mitedu.freeserve.co.uk/Ci...ower/lm317.htm
            Of course you need a multimeter and you need to know the voltage of your phone.
            Best regards,
            Matthew

Comment

Amazing...so that's all there is to it? Just hooking it up to the appropriate voltage source? Why would anyone pay $30 for something like that??? I thought for $30 it would have to be much more complicated .

Comment

Get one of those usb -> cell phone chargers. (assuming your computer is installed in your car)

http://www.neticamall.com/P_1131.htm

You can make them too.
                ODYSSEY

Originally posted by Tidder
                Hey, as long as it's not any particular race I'm offending, I can stand to be a pedophile.
                All information expressed in this post is my opinion, and should not be regarded as a statement of fact.
                Digital-Car UK|

(\__/)
                (='.'=)
                (")_(")

Comment

my suggestion will be a pager security system ...

belive me sometimes we dont know if its our car or someone eleses screaming help !

so the pager alarm is nice ..

mastero

Comment

I've heard the pager alarms don't work well at all.
                    aka Kumaneko
                    "Don't make me moderate your ***!"
                    Maxima of Doom - project thread - photo gallery
                    mp3car system is currently FUBAR and finances do not allow for a correction of that situation
                    Real computer hackers use a rotary cutting tool on their motherboard.

Comment

My pager alarm from 1988 worked pretty well actually.
                      It had a 1/4 mile range.

Check out this one:
                      http://www.gotapex.com/deals.php?search=alarm

Although the vendor doesn't have them now so it seams, I bet you can find it elsewhere...

-Mario

Comment

It's suprising how simple many expensive items can be. As long as you adjust the circuit to the same voltage as your phone charger it should be fine. Usually any circuits to limit the battery charging current will be inside the phone, so all you need to do is make a power supply the same voltage as the phone charger. Anyhow it worked for me.
                        Best regards,
                        Matthew

Comment

Originally posted by Mastero
                          belive me sometimes we dont know if its our car or someone eleses screaming help !
                          unless you can control what sounds your siren outputs and also have airhorns hooked up to it...

it's pretty distinguishable not to mention LOUD!
                          Car: 2000 Toyota Celica GT-S
                          Mods: Yep
                          Carputer: VIA M9000 | Opus 150 | 512MB PC2100 | 60GB Notebook HD | Slim/Slot DVD/CDRW | Audigy2NX | Xenarc 700TSV | (2) DSCustoms DS700HRS (in trunk) | SMC USB 802.11b | CoPilot | DLink FM tuner | Cliffnet

Comment

Thatcham

I'm not sure if Thamchum exist in the US, but if they do it's worth keeping an eye out for them. They don't make alarms rather they are a standard, or govening body for alarms. If you get one which is Thatchum approved then it's serious good, and nearlly all insurance companies (well the ones in the UK) will give you money of if you've got a Thatchum Alarm.

On the down side they have to be fitted by an authoriesed fitter, you can't just go into the shop and by on, and they tend to be expensive. But if you plan to keep the car for a long time they should pay for themselves in insurance savings.

Also talk to your insurance company, they will almost definately, recemend a few alarms, after all they don't want your car to be stolen any more than you do.
                            And you say people actually pay money for M$ Windows?
                            www.mp3mini.co.uk (Does what it says on the URL) www.openclassic.co.uk (The new car, with zero rust!) www.rob-web.co.uk (My other site)
                            Total re-design underway: on the whole progress is very slow as the car is taking up too much time :)

Comment

Lazerline

After talking to various people in the business I finally go my alarm installed to day. Ended up going for a laserline 291 alarm and imobiliser.

Really good quality with nice features like, connects to central looking, automatic windows, evan controls the all important roof

From what I've heard they're a bugger to by-pass and if you you try and disconnect the speaker it'll go off on it's own, and all the parts have internal back up batteries.

Price wise it's more than your budget, but it came with fitting. However they also sell the alarmon it's own with out the imobiliser and that might be a bit more affordable.
                              And you say people actually pay money for M$ Windows?
                              www.mp3mini.co.uk (Does what it says on the URL) www.openclassic.co.uk (The new car, with zero rust!) www.rob-web.co.uk (My other site)
                              Total re-design underway: on the whole progress is very slow as the car is taking up too much time :)

Comment

Working...
                              X