Please Advice me on this...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please Advice me on this...

A friend of my boss (who's house by te way I have recently automatized with mp3 audio all over ) owns a building with 4 elevators.

He wants to put a kind of kiosk (flat screens showing advertisements in a loop). He asked me how to do this, so I sent to him some links about all the installations done here.

Now he wants me to take the project for him, and I ask all of you how do you think this can be achieved more practically.

My first toguht was NTSC Flat panels accepting video signal from cheap tuners or RF transmitter/receiver, but maybe that would be too harsh on quality.

I think VGA displays are too expensive, and would require a PC with every display, so more cost. Also he wants the 4 displays showing the same signal. What would you suggest? Thanks.

Use NTSC screens and run coax with the rest of the cables for the elevator cars. You'll probably want to output the signal to a signal amplifier before pumping it to the 4 elevators. I think there would be way to much interference for RF transmitters, and the shafts are probably a bit too shielded anyway, especially from a central broadcast point.

I don't think you want to put a computer in each car.. that's just a nightmare waiting to happen.
    aka Kumaneko
    "Don't make me moderate your ***!"
    Maxima of Doom - project thread - photo gallery
    mp3car system is currently FUBAR and finances do not allow for a correction of that situation
    Real computer hackers use a rotary cutting tool on their motherboard.

Comment

If you have a 7-11 near by... see if they have one of those ad screens... and try to find out how it's run. I wish I knew the name of the company that does it... but I don't goto 7-11 much. Anyway not all of them have them but a few do they tell like time and temperature maybe a weather forecast then show a bunch of ads... just a thought.
      Josh Karger
      By reading this post you agree to overlook all grammatical, spelling, and typographical errors! ;)

Comment

I had a friend that worked at a gas station that had one, and it ANNOYED THE HELL OUT OF ME. THe damned thing didn't even display the current time, it was 100% ads. They were paid to have it there by some add company, and it was run off a pc in the back room.

And while it wouldnt be incredibly crisp, NTSC/PAL screens (reasonably sized) w/ wireless recievers, and just put a wireless transmitter at the top of the shaft?
        -Nick

Comment

I never said I liked it...lol Yeah I know what you mean about the convinence store types like I was talking about. But it could be a very useful thing if it was more than ads... but had a few ads to help support it. (If you ran a business and needed to give information in this way and had a few ad partners to bring in enough money to support the system)

And while it wouldnt be incredibly crisp, NTSC/PAL screens (reasonably sized) w/ wireless recievers, and just put a wireless transmitter at the top of the shaft?
          But like Shin said the elevator shafts aren't very "wireless friendly."
          Josh Karger
          By reading this post you agree to overlook all grammatical, spelling, and typographical errors! ;)

Comment

Yesterday after reading MP3DUB advise talked to the guy in charge, and he explained that they pretend to show some "documentary" movies (almost home-made) from trips to exotic places (jungle, deserts, mountains) to give the impression of "artsy" (I have a hard time finding the words in english) and to give a kind of window to wild nature.

Now, the cable which would go from the DVD to the screen in each elevator would be approx. 40 meters long. 20 meters in the rollable part, and 20 meters from the first floor to the shaft. Would one amplifier do the job? and, how powerful would it have to be?

Here in Mexico the 7-11 don't have those screens, just ATM's.

Comment

Working...
            X