Considering new OS...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Considering new OS...

Right now I'm using win98 at my home desktop,but I'm thinkining of upgrading it.There are few choices: Windows 2000,Windows Millenium,Windows XP (and I think there are more...)
    My comp: PIII-500 Mhz, 256MB RAM 100Mhz,60GB HD.
    What will fit best for this system?
    Enjoint life!

Win2K. Most of the benefits of WinXP, but without the slowdowns due to eye candy. Though XP should run just fine on that system as well.

NEVER, EVER, for any reason, load WinMe.
    Player: Pentium 166MMX, Amptron 598LMR MB w/onboard Sound, Video, LAN, 10.2 Gig Fujitsu Laptop HD, Arise 865 DC-DC Converter, Lexan Case, Custom Software w/Voice Interface, MS Access Based Playlists
    Car: 1986 Mazda RX-7 Turbo (highly modded), 1978 RX-7 Beater (Dead, parting out), 2001 Honda Insight
    "If one more body-kitted, cut-spring-lowered, farty-exhausted Civic revs on me at an intersection, I swear I'm going to get out of my car and cram their ridiculous double-decker aluminium wing firmly up their rump."

Comment

I swear...I must be the only one with a good copy of winME. I use it because of hibernation feature. Win2k is too slow to boot everything up. ME works without problem. Never crashes on me. Have been using it for 2+ years now in carpc. I have the "corporate version". Dont know if that makes a difference.

I assume that you are upgrading your carpc. If its your homepc...win2k all the way!

edit: Whoops, jumped to conclusions too...I still say winME works for me in carpc (that wasnt supposed to rhyme). But win2k is definitely the way to go for desktop. I dont care how much you can make XP look like "classic windows" win2k, its still not the same. Ive installed XP 3 times thinking I'll just get used to it...Ive taken it off after a week every time. Win2k just "feels right".

PoBoy
      I'm a ghost...email me if you have any questions on my old setup

My way outdated website: http://www.poboytech.net

FYI: I sold my 96 4Runner and bought a 1985

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron Cake
        Win2K. Most of the benefits of WinXP, but without the slowdowns due to eye candy. Though XP should run just fine on that system as well.

NEVER, EVER, for any reason, load WinMe.
        That's very strange of you to say Aaron... in my experience XP is much much faster. It really isn't even close. XP was specifically designed to have the features of w2k but be a fast booting os.

so in my opinion... don't waste your time with w2k because boot times are just painfully slow.. xp boots up and running in around 30 seconds.. much faster if i use suspend. But I may be switching back to 98 on my carpc although I seem to have forgotten the reason :/

edit: now that I've gone back to read the post more carefully.... of course, if you leave your pc on 24/7 then boot times mean absolutely nothing.. also it's less important for your desktop to boot up quickly.. so w2k should work grandly for your desktop although I am using xp with much enjoyment.
        aka Kumaneko
        "Don't make me moderate your ***!"
        Maxima of Doom - project thread - photo gallery
        mp3car system is currently FUBAR and finances do not allow for a correction of that situation
        Real computer hackers use a rotary cutting tool on their motherboard.

Comment

okay, personal prefs...

* either W95/W98/hybrid of both in the car...... easier to work with

* Windows XP / Win 2000 on the home desktop. My pref would be XP tho, I find it to boot alot quicker than Win2K and the stability is really A1..... even better than Win2K in my experences, its a great OS all round.

having said that I now have a Athlon 2000XP with 512MB DDR 333Mhz and Geforce 4 video card..... but not to get into a '****ing' match! looking at your specs Dima, either XP, W2K would be great... but if you can up the RAM to 512MB it will be worth it...... RAM is cheap and windows will thankyou for the extra headroom...... and its gonna give you a much greater boost than any CPU upgrade....
          Project - GAME OVER :(

Comment

Windows XP.

I have it running on a Pentium 233 w/ 256MB, and it is faster and better than Win98.

Memory is the real key with any OS. The more the better.
            ODYSSEY

Originally posted by Tidder
            Hey, as long as it's not any particular race I'm offending, I can stand to be a pedophile.
            All information expressed in this post is my opinion, and should not be regarded as a statement of fact.
            Digital-Car UK|

(\__/)
            (='.'=)
            (")_(")

Comment

I have to say i like XP, but sp1 seems to have slowed it down a little....
              Car: 1999 Dark Green Mustang GT Coupe
              Audio: Alpine HU, JL 6ch Amp, JL Stealthbox and XR series components.
              Player: Empeg for now; something custom later.
              www.neotechpc.com - Custom built laptops!

Comment

My carputer OS is win98 lite (and I'll stay with it),but my concern is my home desktop PC.I heard that all newer OS like XP or Windows 2000 uses fat32 system,so I guess it will be a problem to convert all my programs and files from win98 to newer OS...
                and,what is win2k? is this windows 2000?
                Enjoint life!

Comment

depends

IMHO , stay with win98se until microslack stop supporting it. then again i am a gamer. If you want the most out of your hardware (albeit at the cost of a wee bit of stability) stay with win98 , XP or 2000 is a waste on a desktop. Also when you _have_ to upgrade next year (when mickyshaft stop supporting 98 i think) XP will be cheaper. Dont upgrade for the sake of upgrading , or because your bored. I havent seen anything in XP to compell me , except for being stable , but i spend half my time in linux anyway so my computer is not in win98se long enough to become unstable. ME is lame. its win98se with nicer icons. Waste of time when you have 98.

then again , its fun to play. so go for it. I think you mean XP and 2000 (and the rest of the NT's) use the NTFS (NT File System) , but they can read fat32 partitions so you only have to have the booting partition NTFS.
                  FAT32 dosent have things like file rights built in , whereas NTFS does. For example you could have a whole directory where the only permissions on it are yours so you can hide your pr0n so when your kids log on they wont see it. Or if your not a pr0n afficianado (read "dirty bugger") you could have your wedding photos or important documents and your kids wont be able to accidently delete them etc....
                  stupid quote # 1 : "i dont do drugs , i only ever smoke pot when i'm coming down" , Me , 6 september , 2001.

Comment

Re: depends

Originally posted by samael
                    IMHO , stay with win98se until microslack stop supporting it. then again i am a gamer. If you want the most out of your hardware (albeit at the cost of a wee bit of stability) stay with win98 , XP or 2000 is a waste on a desktop.
                    games run ALOT better on a Win2k/XP box IMHO..... your talking about an OS that is running on a 16bit base (Windows 98) compared to a true 32bit OS in the form of windows NT/2K/XP.. NT4 sucked for games due to many incompatibilities, but win2k and XP shattered that expectation...

also Dima, I think your meaning NTFS, not FAT32......
                    Project - GAME OVER :(

Comment

bench marks

benchmarks would probably prove otherwise. also if win98 is only 16 bit it wouldnt be able to address my 512 meg of ram....
                      stupid quote # 1 : "i dont do drugs , i only ever smoke pot when i'm coming down" , Me , 6 september , 2001.

Comment

My favorite Windows is Xp because of its stability - fast boottime ,
                        ( the eye candy features can be disabled ) and it runs perfectly on my K6II-300-
                        XP takes more disc space but after an install I never inserted again the CD .

I once thought that i would nerv say the following of a MS OS but XP is great!

I would nerver use again win98 , me - perhaps win2k but for server only)

Regards

Felix

P.S: Hey what about a poll " What OS do u use for your Car PC "?
                        to see whats the preffered OS
                        =>> Carpc Version2 -- Epia M 10K based<<=
                        ::Epia M10k,7"VGA/40GB2.5",GPS,Opus90W ::
                        ::trying to build second low cost carpc::
                        ::Automp3.de :: CAR= Renault Clio2 - 2 seats 1.9D

Comment

Just to add my 2 cents like everyone else, im a Win2k person on every windows based computer in my network except for my car (98se). If you really want the best of both world when it comes to gaming and stability, dual boot, i used to do that when win2k first came out, rebooted to 98 to game on, and then back to win2k to do everything else. but at this point, except for older games, there really isnt a noticble difference between win2k and win98 for framerates. Win2k can read all MS file systems (fat16, fat32, ntfs1, ntfs2), and it doesnt need ntfs for a boot drive, fat works fine, you just loose the added features of ntfs (security).
                          -Nick

Comment

Hi again,

I prefer the NTFS because i can switch PC of hardly by cutting his power without any loss of Data or a buggin scandisk screen ( i know that it can be disabled)
                            I never had problems by doing this and when i have no time to wait that the pc shuts down - a little press on a switch and its off

Regards

Felix
                            =>> Carpc Version2 -- Epia M 10K based<<=
                            ::Epia M10k,7"VGA/40GB2.5",GPS,Opus90W ::
                            ::trying to build second low cost carpc::
                            ::Automp3.de :: CAR= Renault Clio2 - 2 seats 1.9D

Comment

I think when i speak, ppl listen. Take it from me. Win9x these days, just dont cut it. I will leave it at this and for those that want to argue with me, please keep in mind i have being doing this for a long time. If you havent played/looked at 2k/XP, then WinME is what you need to run in the car. In the long run u will want XP. Once i get C4 done which is currently at RC2.5, i will get my box going and have XP running.
                              abcd-1
                              Author of CobraI,II,III and now CobraIV.
                              You can contact me on AOL instant messenger....nick is cenwesi or cenwesi3

Comment

Working...
                              X