30yr old Wooden Sliding Window Stuck closed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 30yr old Wooden Sliding Window Stuck closed

Hey everyone. It is like 18C outside and I want my window open so I go to open it and it is stuck. Not like a little stuck where it moves in the tracks, but all my might (im a pretty big guy) cannot open this window. I have sort of hit the corners with my fist, i've tried to push the window up and move it, and it wont budge.

Most of what I found online seems to not be for wooden windows. Most refer to wheels or something coming loose. Around here, every window is wood.

I dont think there is any metal in this window. It is original to the house and the house is like 30 years old. I dont think wd40 would help because it is all wood. If it would help, then I can try it, but something about oil and wood doesnt seem right...

and I have heard of using some wood to hammer the window but usually that applies to when a window is stuck open. This is stuck shut... I am not really sure how to "unstuck" it without damaging it. Just by eyeballing the frame, it looks level. Meaning, it is not tilted or anything.

Anyone have a suggestion?
    Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
    1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
    30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
    15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
    Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Take a pry bar to the outside of the window.
    ODYSSEY

Originally posted by Tidder
    Hey, as long as it's not any particular race I'm offending, I can stand to be a pedophile.
    All information expressed in this post is my opinion, and should not be regarded as a statement of fact.
    Digital-Car UK|

(\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Comment

Me Big'N'Strong Me break WINDOW! ?

Comment

If you're talking about the standard box sash window, it's probably the temp/humidity change of this time of year, and the frame has swollen a bit. You can either wait, or start prying off the trim around the frame (the part that prevents the moving panel from falling into the room!) From there, get a craft knife and gently slice down the gap between the frame and the window to get it moving. Once it's out, spray with silicone spray, make sure the weights on both sides of the window are still tied, and then like the Haynes manual says, refit is the reverse of removal
        http://sticksout.blogspot.com

Comment

Is the outside of the sash painted?

If so, the paint gets in between the the window frame and sash. When it dries, it's like superglue. You need to scribe it with an exacto knife or something and then work into the sash/frame oopening until it is freed.

If it's not painted, I'd say you are dealing with the swelling wood issue, as mentioned above.
          For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.
          Leonardo Da Vinci

Comment

Originally posted by 2k1Toaster View Post
            Hey everyone. It is like 18C outside and I want my window open so I go to open it and it is stuck. Not like a little stuck where it moves in the tracks, but all my might (im a pretty big guy) cannot open this window. I have sort of hit the corners with my fist, i've tried to push the window up and move it, and it wont budge.

Most of what I found online seems to not be for wooden windows. Most refer to wheels or something coming loose. Around here, every window is wood.

I dont think there is any metal in this window. It is original to the house and the house is like 30 years old. I dont think wd40 would help because it is all wood. If it would help, then I can try it, but something about oil and wood doesnt seem right...

and I have heard of using some wood to hammer the window but usually that applies to when a window is stuck open. This is stuck shut... I am not really sure how to "unstuck" it without damaging it. Just by eyeballing the frame, it looks level. Meaning, it is not tilted or anything.

Anyone have a suggestion?

If it 18C outside why the hell you want to open the window, that'll let the cold in.

Oh and only an american/canadian could infer that a 30 year old house is old. We would consider that a new homw over here.

Originally posted by greatwhite View Post
            I'd say you are dealing with the swelling wood issue.

Now that sounds painful.

Comment

Originally posted by Enforcer View Post
              If it 18C outside why the hell you want to open the window, that'll let the cold in.

Oh and only an american/canadian could infer that a 30 year old house is old. We would consider that a new homw over here.

Now that sounds painful.
              18C cold?

Jeebus man! That's tanning weather in Canada!

You must be in the UK or jamaica if you think that's cold..............
              For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.
              Leonardo Da Vinci

Comment

Try rubbing a candle inside the tracks. It won't help initially opening it, but the more open it gets, the easier it will slide. Once fully open, rub candle in lower section of track. Open and close a few times to get even coating of wax.

If you can't get it to move at all, take a block of wood that will fit in sash channel and lightly smack it with a hammer a couple of times on each side.

Edit: I have heard baby powder will work instead of candle wax, but I have never tried it.
                Carputer Project Status:
                0% - Mobo died on 2/17/08
                Check out the worklog for my '01 Pathfinder.

Comment

I live in a house made back in 1868

Comment

Originally posted by Grrrmachine View Post
                    If you're talking about the standard box sash window, it's probably the temp/humidity change of this time of year, and the frame has swollen a bit. You can either wait, or start prying off the trim around the frame (the part that prevents the moving panel from falling into the room!) From there, get a craft knife and gently slice down the gap between the frame and the window to get it moving. Once it's out, spray with silicone spray, make sure the weights on both sides of the window are still tied, and then like the Haynes manual says, refit is the reverse of removal
                    Well I dont feel like removing trim pieces yet! I guess Ill have to wait... Will a blowdryer or something spped up the process?

Is the outside of the sash painted?
                    Nope. I had read about that too. It is original paint. So actually it is painted, but not recently.

I live in the cold! I want it cold inside! Over the summer I put tin foil over the window to keep the sun out! We are supposed to get our first snow tomorrow.

You probably live in a house older than either country over here is!

18C cold?

Jeebus man! That's tanning weather in Canada!

You must be in the UK or jamaica if you think that's cold..............

Originally posted by walstib View Post
                    Try rubbing a candle inside the tracks. It won't help initially opening it, but the more open it gets, the easier it will slide. Once fully open, rub candle in lower section of track. Open and close a few times to get even coating of wax.

If you can't get it to move at all, take a block of wood that will fit in sash channel and lightly smack it with a hammer a couple of times on each side.

Edit: I have heard baby powder will work instead of candle wax, but I have never tried it.
                    Ill try that once i get it opened.

Thanks for the tips.
                    15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more

Comment

You could try the hairdrier trick, but only on the lowest setting. Removing moisture too quickly will warp and twist the box, trapping your window for ever

And my house was built some time in the 15th Century
                      http://sticksout.blogspot.com

Comment

get a new window, problem solved.

plus it will be more energy efficient.
                        Installed
                        Asus A7N8X-VM - AMD Mobile Athlon 2400
                        512 Ram - 60GB HD - Opus 150w
                        Lilliput 7" - Rikaline 6010
                        [00000000000001100010-] 98% Completed

Check Out My Install!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Quattro View Post
                          get a new window, problem solved.

plus it will be more energy efficient.
                          You paying?!

Comment

it pays for itself in the long run
                            Installed
                            Asus A7N8X-VM - AMD Mobile Athlon 2400
                            512 Ram - 60GB HD - Opus 150w
                            Lilliput 7" - Rikaline 6010
                            [00000000000001100010-] 98% Completed

Check Out My Install!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Quattro View Post
                              it pays for itself in the long run
                              I dont think changing 1 window will make too much of a difference. Expecially since during the winter I leave it open to cool down my room.

Anways, we were thinking of replacing all of the windows but that is probably another 2 to 3 years away. And by then I probably/hopefully wont be here.

Comment

Working...
                              X