DNS for computers at home?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DNS for computers at home?

Okay, so I have a linksys wrt54g running DD-WRT, and dyndns pointing a domain to that router's IP. I have a web server that all my port 80 traffic goes to via port forwarding, but I also have several other machines that I Remote Desktop to.

What I want to do is to be able to address each machine by a fully qualified domain name rather than by using port forwarding and having to remember what port goes where. So instead of RDP'ing to mysite.com:3390 for one of my servers, I'd like to be able to just type blackbox.mysite.com

So what I think should happen is: .com knows where mysite.com is, so it forwards the request to mysite.com, which then magically forwards my request to blackbox, a server inside my network. It's the magic part I dont know how to do yet.

Has anyone here done that? Is there like a wiki for something like that? DD-WRT talks about using DNSmasq, but I think that's just internal to the network and not reachable from outside. Just the way I read it, but I'm not sure.
    Debt as of 1/1/05: $34,354.48
    Debt as of July 4, 2007: $0.00 explanation
    I'M DEBT FREE!!
    I'm now a reasonably successful gunblogger.

I mess with DNS and virtual servers for work, and it's just too much to set up for home stuff. Why don't you set up a VPN and just do it that way? Once you're logged in, you can do anything.
    Gen 1: Pentium 3 1GHz - ATX - 2005
    Gen 2: Pentium M 1.6GHz - ITX - 2006
    Gen 3: Pentium M 2.0GHz - 5.25" SBC - 2007
    Gen 4: (coming soon: Core2 Duo - 3.5" SBC - 2009)
    ...it never ends

Comment

You would have to use something like Microsoft ISA server as a firewall. That has the ability to read the header packet of the URL request and forward to the correct internal IP/port on the inside. Its a lot of money along with more kit not to mention definitely not designed for home use. There most likely is other alternatives but I don't know what they are other than hardware boxes that still use ISA.
      Visit my site V8 Scimitar

SP13000, 300GB SATA HD, 1GB DDR. Opus 150, K301 screen, Cisco WIFI, AQmax GPS, RoadRunner and FreeDrive, Sony MEX-R5 head unit. 4 years installed and it just keeps running!

Comment

Do you have a web server on the web? I have DNS records for my home systems there and it works great.

I have like wiki.9xnet.com home.9xnet.com and they all go to different systems for different things.

But thats assuming you have a bunch of public IPS...
        1990 Jeep Cherokee
        2000 VW Golf TDI 4dr
        2005 VW GTI MKIV - SOLD

Comment

since you use external dns server (dyndns), you don't receive any specific info in packet's header that you could use with router to filter packets with. Unless you have an access to co-located server where you can set up your own dynamic dns service, you would not be able to do what you want.
          It's rather easy to use it with http protocol since you have destination address encoded into headers, but it is not happening with dns protocol.
          Just use port numbers for now, I think it's just easier.
          EPIA TC 1G 256MB 60GB Linux,WindowMaker, Roadnav, Xine, XMMS, iGuidance3
          Lilliput 8", Pharos i360, WUSB11v2.6 WiFi

Comment

ok, so its not that im missing something, it really is that its damn near impossible
            Debt as of 1/1/05: $34,354.48
            Debt as of July 4, 2007: $0.00 explanation
            I'M DEBT FREE!!
            I'm now a reasonably successful gunblogger.

Comment

No not impossible just complicated and expensive.
              Visit my site V8 Scimitar

SP13000, 300GB SATA HD, 1GB DDR. Opus 150, K301 screen, Cisco WIFI, AQmax GPS, RoadRunner and FreeDrive, Sony MEX-R5 head unit. 4 years installed and it just keeps running!

Comment

I think i'm understanding what you want to do...

This is not difficult. What you will need to do, if you want a particular sub domain name for each server is you need a corresponding external IP for each server.

In your router/firewall configuration, you will assign an external IP to each internal IP of the servers you want to RDP into. In your domain name provider, you can specify which names for each external IP address. Then, all you have to do is allow port 3389(RDP Port) to each of these external IP addresses.

So, from an outside location, you open up mstsc.exe (remote desktop connection) and put in the specific servers domain name.
                <[[][][][][][][][][][][][]>
                Progress:99% not 100% because theres always something to do...
                Centrafuse on XP (lited)
                EN15000
                120GB 2.5" SATA HD
                1GB DDR2 Ram
                M2-ATX PS
                Slot-Load DVD
                BU-353 GPS w/Mappoint 2k6
                DWW-700M

Comment

Working...
                X