How do I block Limewire, Kazaa, etc?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I block Limewire, Kazaa, etc?

Can someone tell me how to block access to Limewire, Kazaa, etc?
    I understand I can block the ports, (after it's installed), but I don't want the crap to be installed to begin with.
    AtmosUSA.biz, E-Cig Mods
    "A great smoking alternative"

??
    Don't install it and you wont have it
    Christmas Car Project 2008

ArrowDash Skin Worklog

Comment

Originally posted by muldrick View Post
      Can someone tell me how to block access to Limewire, Kazaa, etc?
      I understand I can block the ports, (after it's installed), but I don't want the crap to be installed to begin with.
      Set permissions to not allow things to be installed...

Rafster
      Post # 3000

Comment

Originally posted by Arrow View Post
        ??
        Don't install it and you wont have it
        lime wire was the most clean, its prob poop now.

user accounts?
        I GIVE FREE HUGS!
        Buy Sell or Trade
        If my pm box is full, please feel free to call me any time. 440-328-3382
        Thank you
        Forex
        Rate Mp3car @ FXroot.com

Comment

Originally posted by jjh221 View Post
          lime wire was the most clean, its prob poop now.

user accounts?
          If you're worried about spyware/malware when installing P2P progs, I would suggest downloading Limewire Pro or Kazaa Lite....

Rafster
          Post # 3000

Comment

Oh, you don't want the "extras" that come with them. Kazaa makes you install all the crap. There's no way around it. It checks to make sure it's installed and running every time you run Kazaa. You have the options to install the extras with limewire. It either askes you straight up if you want the extras, or there's an advanced install option where you pick the components. Don't use Kazaa, its crap. Limewire is much better.

ArrowDash Skin Worklog

Comment

Well, the other day the wife's PC was infected with all kinds of crap. Trojans and hundreds of messages and popups to install "cleaning" software. Heck, the desktop pic was even turned into one giant link to a "privacy" service. Cleaned the PC..just format and redid it.
              My daughter gets on limewire...used to, and I want her to get on none.
              Told her before, and she "swears" she won't do it again. I just wanted to set it up to where she CAN"T.
              Yes, guess I'll add her as a limited user.
              AtmosUSA.biz, E-Cig Mods

Comment

Yeah, that's about all you can do... But, a good antivirus(Norton or McAfee) and anti-spyware(Spysweeper) software will keep that from happening even if nasty software is installed. You should have those anyways because without them, you can get viruses from simply browsing the web. Oh, and Limewire is spyware free, so as long as its just being used for downloading music, there's no way to get any viruses or spyware. I use it all the time and I have no problems.

ArrowDash Skin Worklog

Comment

Firewall router

You can block certain sites inside of some routers. You can also look at logs to see what sites to block. Linksys routers allow this. I don't know about others
                  ~Jimmy

Comment

Yeah, that's about all you can do... But, a good antivirus(Norton or McAfee) and anti-spyware(Spysweeper) software will keep that from happening even if nasty software is installed. You should have those anyways because without them, you can get viruses from simply browsing the web. Oh, and Limewire is spyware free, so as long as its just being used for downloading music, there's no way to get any viruses or spyware. I use it all the time and I have no problems.
                    Yes, I use McAfee (through Comcast) It's supposed to stop "potentially unwanted programs" too. But let me tell you, it didn't.
                    Really, I'm not sure how the crap got through, but the PC was done...had to wipe it all out and reinstall XP.
                    AtmosUSA.biz, E-Cig Mods

Comment

Ad-Aware personal edition to clean all the crap... than do not use the BS security problem software like P2P, Outlook and IE .... firefox as a browser and install noscript as an add in. Do not run scripts in the browser unless you are buying something.
                      TruckinMP3
                      D201GLY2, DC-DC power, 3.5 inch SATA

Yes, you should search... and Yes, It has been covered before!

Read the FAQ!

Comment

Seriously, get spysweeper. Anymore, antivirus programs are almost useless. Spyware and adware are the ones that eat your computer and the antivirus programs don't really catch it. Swing by any retailer that sells software. They'll have Spysweeper for about $30. It's a lime-green box, can't miss it.

ArrowDash Skin Worklog

Comment

Originally posted by muldrick View Post
                          Yes, I use McAfee (through Comcast) It's supposed to stop "potentially unwanted programs" too. But let me tell you, it didn't.
                          Really, I'm not sure how the crap got through, but the PC was done...had to wipe it all out and reinstall XP.
                          Mcafee is garbage anymore. It's not worth the cost of the media it's distributed on. (Yes, I'm fully aware that you download it - that's my point!)

I'm all for file sharing. I do it myself...
                          HOWEVER...
                          I also try to stay on top of what P2P systems are hazardous and which ones are not. Kazaa/Limewire/Bearshare and any other gnutella-based P2P networks are a breeding ground for virii.

Frankly, they are not welcome on my network, period. Granted, considering it's just me & my wife, it's pretty easy to police. If friends come over with laptops or for a LAN party, I tell them in no uncertain terms that if they use my network for any P2P setup that is on my *****list, their MAC will be blacklisted on my network, NQA.
                          If they come back with a different PC (or NIC) and do it again, they aren't welcome in my home any more, again NQA.
                          Harsh? Maybe.
                          I have important (to me) data on my systems that I don't want to get borked by a virus or trojan or whatnot.

Now...
                          How to block these programs...
                          Without any sort of device/software that scans packets, your only option is blocking ports. Most residential-use routers can block ports but not sniff packets to block at that level.

Another option is to allow only the traffic that you want, blocking all others. This is how businesses protect their networks. If it's not email, FTP or application X Y or Z, it doesn't go through the firewall.

Either of those methods is going to be a decided PITA to maintain, especially if you are prone to try out network tools or internet-enabled software.

Another option is to educate the users of your network as to the potential dangers of such systems and why you don't want them on your network or PC.
                          Someoen suggested creating a user account without rights to install software, which is a good idea, but certainly not foolproof.

Good luck, Spot.
                          Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
                          How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Seriously, get spysweeper. Anymore, antivirus programs are almost useless. Spyware and adware are the ones that eat your computer and the antivirus programs don't really catch it. Swing by any retailer that sells software. They'll have Spysweeper for about $30. It's a lime-green box, can't miss it.
                            Ad-Aware is a free download. No waiting to go to the store
                            TruckinMP3
                            D201GLY2, DC-DC power, 3.5 inch SATA

Yes, you should search... and Yes, It has been covered before!

Read the FAQ!

Comment

I personally love Spybot...

also, AVG AntiSpyware...

Both Free!

Rafster
                              Post # 3000

Comment

Working...
                              X