X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RX7 powered Mini!

I just came across this on the Minimania msg board:

http://www.minimania.com/msgthread.c...SiteMessages=7

Might be of interest to you rotary fans.
    And you say people actually pay money for M$ Windows?
    www.mp3mini.co.uk (Does what it says on the URL) www.openclassic.co.uk (The new car, with zero rust!) www.rob-web.co.uk (My other site)
    Total re-design underway: on the whole progress is very slow as the car is taking up too much time :)

It's certainly an interesting project, but I have a few problems with is text:

This is a 1962 Austin Mini Cooper "S". True dual tanks, and 7.5" mini disk brakes. Left hand drive from being in the states. Has a chopped and spread top, Mazda RX7 rotary engine (165bhp stock).
    That appears to be an '89 block with the '85 carb and front cover....Maybe 145HP? Certainly not the 165HP the '89 engine is rated for with the stock FI system...

Polished ports, custom header, Beefy 3rd member from Mazda station wagon, 5 speed transmission., rounds off close to 200 BHP
    Where is this guy getting his numbers? I'm thinking that engine is good for maybe 145-150 HP. If he had left the FI system in tact, he would be closer to the 165 stock number.

the early (pretty) cooper front-end and allows for over 10,000 rpm.
    For about 10 seconds....Overreving a rotary is just as bad as overrevving a piston engine...The eccentric shaft tends to flex, causing the apexs of the rotors to contact the housings. Bad thing. Going over the 9,000 RPM redline reliably requires internal engine work.

I haven't even heard the engine run in the last year or so, but it ran when I took it out of the donor
    So that's one dead engine....Long periods of inactivity on a rotary can cause major problems if the engine is not stored correctly.

I've been reading a lot on the RX7 engines and with very simple modifications they pull off 300 bhp. i.e. header (+20 hp alone), Holly intake conversion, and some others."
    Hahahaha! LOL! This guy is very disconnected from reality. 300HP? Yeah bloody right. The carb conversion results in LOSS of power, and there is no way to get that kind of power without some extreme porting method (peripheral or bridge). Such an engine would be completely unstreetable. Even a wildly ported 13B won't do 300HP without some sort of power adder (ie. nitrous).
    Player: Pentium 166MMX, Amptron 598LMR MB w/onboard Sound, Video, LAN, 10.2 Gig Fujitsu Laptop HD, Arise 865 DC-DC Converter, Lexan Case, Custom Software w/Voice Interface, MS Access Based Playlists
    Car: 1986 Mazda RX-7 Turbo (highly modded), 1978 RX-7 Beater (Dead, parting out), 2001 Honda Insight
    "If one more body-kitted, cut-spring-lowered, farty-exhausted Civic revs on me at an intersection, I swear I'm going to get out of my car and cram their ridiculous double-decker aluminium wing firmly up their rump."

Comment

Stay away from the crack this guy is smokin' cause he has no Friggin' clue...

The guy who owns the mini not Aaron.

300HP??!!! Maybe a tri rotor...or a two rotor with a huge friggin' turbo and other mods...
      Aura MR62 (F and R)
      My Current MP3s
      IamDefiler.com

Comment

Working...
      X