OMFG now I see why people hate vista so much

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OMFG now I see why people hate vista so much

I had some hardware failure on my 5 year old server, so I decided that it was time to get a new machine. I found an Intel Core 2 Quad with 4GB of RAM and a 750gb hard drive, preinstalled with Vista Home Premium, for $750. So I bought it.

Anyway, omg what a pain. My antivirus software? Oh, that's not vista compatible.
    Every USB 802.11 card I had in the house? Oh, that's not vista compatible.
    You want remote desktop? Oh, that's not vista compatible. (well, it's in Business and Ultimate, which I can upgrade to for $150)

So I went and bought a vista compatible card, downloaded AVG vista compatible antivirus, and installed VMWare so that I could have a machine to remote desktop into. Guess what? VMWare on Vista breaks your optical drives. I had to reinstall after less than 24 hours from opening the box.

So I spent about 3 hours slipstreaming the correct SATA drivers into a WinXP Pro ISO and getting that burned, since my only working burner in the house is on the new Vista box. I'm currently in the process of throwing that on.

It's a shame, too, since Vista is so darn pretty. This box gets like a 5.8 on the "Windows Experience" thingamabob. Oooh maybe I'l put Vista on a VM....but I bet VMWare Tools aren't Vista compatible...

Debt as of 1/1/05: $34,354.48
    Debt as of July 4, 2007: $0.00 explanation
    I'M DEBT FREE!!
    I'm now a reasonably successful gunblogger.

For antivirus, you can try to run it in XP mode with that stupid file manager off. It sometimes works.

I feel your pain. But if you have to get Vista you have to get Ultimate. It is such crap how they sectioned things off like they did.
    Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
    1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
    30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
    15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
    Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

BTW OMG will suffice
      PDP1170/TRS80/Atari800XL/Amiga500/286/486/P2/P4/C2D/i7 still a newb (but an old newb, been doing this a while) working my way up to "Complete Newb"

Comment

just wait til u plug in a thumb drive and spend 10 mins looking for drivers for it lol (just search the system32 folder as vista wont do it for you)
        mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
        Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
        Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

Comment

I hate vista.
          Pico-ITX / XP Home with EWF-HORM / RR v12/02/2009 / Winamp v5.13 / RRMedia v1.2.2

Comment

No problem with Vista x64 since day one.

Comment

Use Avast AV and UltraVNC for your remote desktop...

Comment

Lots of my hardware didn't work with vista x64 so I installed that microsoft virtual PC 2007 to use XP, but it doesn't support USB. So then I bought vmware to run xp to install drivers that don't work in vista. Then I ran into the trouble of latency problems ( audio ) clicking and popping in sound and stuff ( sound recording through USB ). Anyways I put in another hard drive and installed xp. No more troubles.

Comment

Originally posted by kevinlekiller View Post
                  Lots of my hardware didn't work with vista x64 so I installed that microsoft virtual PC 2007 to use XP, but it doesn't support USB. So then I bought vmware to run xp to install drivers that don't work in vista. Then I ran into the trouble of latency problems ( audio ) clicking and popping in sound and stuff ( sound recording through USB ). Anyways I put in another hard drive and installed xp. No more troubles.
                  Lots of HW? like what?

Vista got lots of drivers built in, much more than the XP.

You would certainly have problems if your HWs are outdated and unbranded.

Comment

Originally posted by wizardPC View Post
                    I had some hardware failure on my 5 year old server, so I decided that it was time to get a new machine. I found an Intel Core 2 Quad with 4GB of RAM and a 750gb hard drive, preinstalled with Vista Home Premium, for $750. So I bought it.

Anyway, omg what a pain. My antivirus software? Oh, that's not vista compatible.
                    Every USB 802.11 card I had in the house? Oh, that's not vista compatible.
                    You want remote desktop? Oh, that's not vista compatible. (well, it's in Business and Ultimate, which I can upgrade to for $150)

So I went and bought a vista compatible card, downloaded AVG vista compatible antivirus, and installed VMWare so that I could have a machine to remote desktop into. Guess what? VMWare on Vista breaks your optical drives. I had to reinstall after less than 24 hours from opening the box.

So I spent about 3 hours slipstreaming the correct SATA drivers into a WinXP Pro ISO and getting that burned, since my only working burner in the house is on the new Vista box. I'm currently in the process of throwing that on.

It's a shame, too, since Vista is so darn pretty. This box gets like a 5.8 on the "Windows Experience" thingamabob. Oooh maybe I'l put Vista on a VM....but I bet VMWare Tools aren't Vista compatible...

Your machine deserve a good OS, try and get the vista working. For the AV I use Symantec AV v10.2.

The only problem I have with vista was when installing it, it BSOD during install LOL . I had to turn off the memory remap in the BIOS during the install, this is because of the 4GB I have in the machine or maybe the dual CPUs setup, dunno I never found out. Im sure the vista SP1 would work straight out of the box.

Comment

Chris, it may have worked for you and I'm glad for you. If it works, probably runs fine. But . . .

You do know that there is a class action suit established on behalf of people who bought Vista right? It apparently is enough of a problem to enough of the people trying to get it to work (and by the way, a bunch of those people are high ranking Microsoft Execs [internal email subpoenaed by judge], and the others are many people who bought top end hardware that was certified by MS as Vista Ready) that the court upheld the class action status for the problem.

Goggle it, its a trainwreck for MS and many who bought it.

Oh yeah, you're right, it ships with a ton of drivers, almost none of which work with the hardware thats out there and many many applications dont run either. [I usualy try to stay up to date with the most recent OS (well back as far as DOS 2.0 and Windows 1.0 anyway, so I hear ya, but Im soooooooo glad I decided to wait on Vista]
                      PDP1170/TRS80/Atari800XL/Amiga500/286/486/P2/P4/C2D/i7 still a newb (but an old newb, been doing this a while) working my way up to "Complete Newb"

Comment

Dont blame Vista, blame the hardware manufacturers of your incompatible devices for not releasing a Vista driver.

x2 on running Vista 64 with NO problems - except my treo wont sync - PALMS FAULT FOR BEING LAZY AND NOT UPDATING THEIR SOFTWARE!

Come to think of it, my brand new 1080p LCD sucks because it looks terrible with the standard analog cable signal.

Originally posted by kevinlekiller View Post
                        You should have done your homework before buying Vista 64-bit. I made sure all my devices had 64-bit drivers available before deciding to go with Vista64.
                        G945GLCF2 | 512MB RAM | 160GB HD | Holux GPS w/ Routis | XMPCR w/ TOSLINK mod | Audigy 2 NX | | Xenarc 700TSV |Opus 150W PSU.

Comment

I blame vista for many things... Lack of hardware support really isnt one of them.

Microsoft needs to make 2 OS's. 1 for retards and 1 for another. Vista is good for the first option. You cant do anything without it warning or yelling at you. File copying is all scanned and protected while scanning making file transfers slow. Eye-candy that just slows everything down. Yadda yadda.

I want one that boots into an environment that looks like 98 that runs programs made for microsoft systems and thats it. If I want to delete my ntldr.exe file, that's my business, let me do it.
                          15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more

Comment

User Access Control can be turned off and you wont get those warnings to allow. Thats their attempt at making the OS more secure...

I back up 10's of gigs per week (I do computer repair) on my Vista machine and i dont think is any slower than when I had XP.

Its all about the system, I guess. My Core 2 E6600 with 4GB PC-6400 RAM flies.
                            G945GLCF2 | 512MB RAM | 160GB HD | Holux GPS w/ Routis | XMPCR w/ TOSLINK mod | Audigy 2 NX | | Xenarc 700TSV |Opus 150W PSU.

Comment

You do know that file copying is known very recreatable problem with Vista. And I know UAC can be turned off.

I am using it on a T7600 with 2Gb of RAM and it is barely tolerable.

If I had the time, and a copy of XP tablet, Vista would be gone.

Comment

Working...
                              X