Removing instrument panel cover

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing instrument panel cover

Hey guys. I've just gotten a new car ('92 Cavalier RS) and I;ve discovered how much one can improve with a simple can of pray paint. I've been converting select dash components from a navy blue to an aluminum silver and it looks great! But now I want to get that dome-like cover for the gauges and I can't figure out how to get it off. Can anyone offer me any suggestions on how to remove this? It would also be helpful to know incase any of my gauge panel lights blow so I can replace them myself.

While I'm at it, does anyone know off-hand of some j-body mods that I could undertake with little money or experience? Or maybe a small project that would get me inside the car with little risk of damaging anything?

I have some cool plans for this vehicle including replacing the front ash tray with a house current outlet. Photos soon!

Thanks guys!

my buddy has a Cavalier and he gets all his information off some Cavalier forum. I dont know the URL (sorry), but i will try and find out from him. Until then, i would search Google or some search engine and see if you can find some info.
    2004 F-150
    Shuttle XPC, 80gig HD, Wireless Internet, DVD
    "How piMP3d is your ride??"

Comment

check out www.j-body.org
      or www.teamforwardmotion.com

cavalier dashboards have been a ***** to get out since they changed body style in ~95

before that, im pretty sure you have to take most of the dash panel out. there are screws in the bottom, sides, even in the glove compartment.

usually, there is also a panel underneath the dash, that keeps u from sticking your feet up into the area behind the dash. that usually has to come off before the screws that hold the dash on can come out.

im doing this all from memory, so be sure to look up some info on the net. also, for a 92 cav, you should have no problem picking up a used service manual, or a chiltons service book, or something similar.

~mike
      Single Member of the "1000 Post and No MP3 Car" Club
      PROJECT ON INDEFINATE HOLD... BOUGHT A HOUSE
      2000 Cavalier Z24 [###-------] Only 30% Done ... Still

Comment

I have to wait a couple days before my registration on j-body.org is verified and TFM is devoted to the '95+ Cavaliers :-/

ANyway, eaby has service manuals at around $25 and I think that's a little steep. THanks for the leads guys! ANy idea where I could pick up a cheap service manual? Thanks!

Comment

this is pretty much all you'll ever need. They're reasonably priced and whenever I get any car I immediately go out and buy one of those. I know for a fact that it will tell you how to take out the instrument cluster.

And $25 for a service manual isn't much... seriously, how much did you drop on the car? If you need to do any work, $25 will more than pay for itself within minutes...
          IN DEVELOPMENT -- '96 Mustang, lilliput with PII/450 laptop, custom DC-DC power supply, 60GB; Garmin GPS; 802.11g; compact keyboard, small graphical LCDs, OBDII.

Comment

Just got one used for $4.

Thanks!

Comment

can you post some pictures of your setup? I think that would be really cool, but I'd like to see it before I try anything
              IN DEVELOPMENT -- '96 Mustang, lilliput with PII/450 laptop, custom DC-DC power supply, 60GB; Garmin GPS; 802.11g; compact keyboard, small graphical LCDs, OBDII.

Comment

bump bump...

any chance that we can see pictures?

Comment

Absolutely. My Chilton's manual came yesterday and I'll be painting the bezel today (hopefully). Then I'll reinstall and try to get some pics. I won't be able to post them untill next week (no scanner ) but I will tryo to get that done.

Comment

Working...
                  X