Capacitor/Rewound Alternator questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Capacitor/Rewound Alternator questions

I've just installed 2 12" kicker subs with a kicker ZR amp. The problem is, when I turn up the bass, my lights dim. That's understandable I think for my 105 amp alternator. So most car audio people would tell me to get a capacitor. I"m thinking I might just go with a rewound alternator however. Has anyone gotten this done?

But another problem I'm having with my new Pioneer DEH-P6400 unit is that when I switch menu's on the unit, like on the audio menu for example, everytime I do so, I hear a *thud* come out of my sub. What is doing that???

And lastly, sometimes after I've been playing music for awhile, my sub will start to go *boom boom boom boom boom* evenly spaced apart, and my lights will dim during each hit accordingly. It almost sounds as if my sub was turning on and off rapidly. Anyone ever experienced this???

thanks for any help

What size wire do you run from your battery to you amps and were did you ground the ground wire at and what size wire ? Did you mount the rca wires near your power wire ?
    www.sounddomain.com/id/2000mp3ranger

Mp3 player - 10.4 Allbrite Gigabyte GA-71XEH , 700 mgz t-bird , coolmaster fan , 2x 128 ram + 1 512ram , ATI-RAEON RV100 ,on bd sound , Linksys Wireless-B usb network adapter , 20G IBM TRAVELSTAR

Comment

I ran 4 gauge wire from my battery to the trunk, then about 1 foot of 8 gauge to my computer, and to my amp. I grounded the computer and amp wires in the same place under a bolt that holds my taillights in. Both of those wires are also 8 gauge. There are 2 sets of RCA wires running opposite the side of the car that the power wires are run, one of the RCA's is for the auxilliary input to my head unit, the other is for the pre-amp output to my sub.

Comment

The *boom boom boom boom boom* could be two things a Bad ground or the gains on your sub amp is set high . For the grounded I would sand down to bare meatal , I would use seatbelt bolt than the taillight bolt . Then turn down you gain on you amp.
        www.sounddomain.com/id/2000mp3ranger

Mp3 player - 10.4 Allbrite Gigabyte GA-71XEH , 700 mgz t-bird , coolmaster fan , 2x 128 ram + 1 512ram , ATI-RAEON RV100 ,on bd sound , Linksys Wireless-B usb network adapter , 20G IBM TRAVELSTAR

Comment

Hmm...I think i've solved it. It turned out to be that the AMP's RCA cable was crossing the 4 gauge power wire at one part in the trunk...I moved it away and it has not happened since.

Comment

OOps...it turns out this *boom boom boom* stuff only happens on long trips. Also, the sub sometimes even cuts out, so that means either it's not getting between 9-16V sometimes or its too hot. I am going to investigate the wiring coming from the alternator to the battery and also the ground wires. My alternator is 105A and my amplifier only is supposed to be using 400 watts max RMS / 12 = 33 amps.

Comment

Update: I just installed my radio antenna extension tonight, and whenever I turn my radio on, the bass plays at full volume regardless of the setting unless I turn the main volume to 0. Additionally, if I change my settings to Front Speakers + S/W instead of Front + Rear, my bass thumps constantly about 4 times a second. Must be some kind of interference? I should have my computer and amp grounded together, right?

Comment

Working...
              X