Yards & Yards of clear film - free

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yards & Yards of clear film - free

Our imagesetter had a hickup last night and about 200 feet of film poured out of it last night.

I'd estimate around 70 sheets of approximately 26"x30" clear film came pouring out. I believe the thickness is 7mil. It's sturdy stuff. It's got 5 punches acrossed it approximately 5" from one of the 30" edges (just so you realize it isn't fully usable sheet).

Let me know if you want some, You pay cost of shipping via UPS or Airborne (we have contracts with both).
    aka Kumaneko
    "Don't make me moderate your ***!"
    Maxima of Doom - project thread - photo gallery
    mp3car system is currently FUBAR and finances do not allow for a correction of that situation
    Real computer hackers use a rotary cutting tool on their motherboard.

What could it be used for?
    Don't Click

Comment

Maybe a clear window, or protective clear cover on something? Maybe a kid has a school project that could use it?

You can use china pens and dry erase markers on it.. I've used it mostly to make transparent pocket folders, and clear overlays so I can do markups with out damaging original documents. I've also thought of imaging some graphics and text when i was going to make a custom din interface, it comes out black as black.. so I figured with some backlighting it would be perfect. I never put much thought into how to attach it to plexi or whatever.. If i go back to this idea i'll probably post a thread asking for suggestions. (I can't just produce film for people, just an example This is all clear waste due to a malfunction.)

The recycler only wants the imaged film so they can remove the silver.. they don't really want all this clear stuff. I'd rather not just put it in the trash if someone can use it.

It's easy to cut with a scissor, and it's very strong.
      aka Kumaneko
      mp3car system is currently FUBAR and finances do not allow for a correction of that situation

Comment

Can you print on it with an Inkjet?
        Silver 1999 Nissan Pathfinder!
        Completion: [*********-] 90%
        Everything working! Mobile MP3s ROCK!
        LEFT TO DO: Improve power on circuit, fix slow boot time

- 550mhz PIII on Abit BH6
        - 128MB RAM
        - 40x4 Backlit Character LCD
        - 17 key numeric keypad - Repainted buttons
        - 2.1GB laptop drive for OS
        - 4.3GB drive for MP3s

http://www.mp3car.com/usersites/bombboyer/ Redesigned, new pics!

Comment

The ink wouldn't stay very well, and I think you might run into trouble trying to get it to feed through your printer if it doesn't have a straight paper path like Epsons do. It's photographic film from a lithographic printing press process. We use the same stuff at my job too.

Comment

Anyway to mark permanently on it at home, other than a Sharpie?
            Silver 1999 Nissan Pathfinder!
            Completion: [*********-] 90%
            Everything working! Mobile MP3s ROCK!
            LEFT TO DO: Improve power on circuit, fix slow boot time

- 550mhz PIII on Abit BH6
            - 128MB RAM
            - 40x4 Backlit Character LCD
            - 17 key numeric keypad - Repainted buttons
            - 2.1GB laptop drive for OS
            - 4.3GB drive for MP3s

http://www.mp3car.com/usersites/bombboyer/ Redesigned, new pics!

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyLittle
              It's photographic film from a lithographic printing press process. We use the same stuff at my job too.
              Correct.

You might be able to print on it with an inkjet if you get a special spray to coat it to make it ink jet ready... That being said, I know one guy that gets the stuff, he buys it in gallons and uses a compresser to spray it on. (he does things on glass, metal, plastics, you name it...)

I'm pretty sure you can find aerosol cans of the stuff, I wouldn't know where to get it though.
              aka Kumaneko

Comment

Perhaps some good old Krylon Fixatif might do the trick - You spray one coat on to start it, then after you print, you spray another coat to set it. Make sure you let it dry fully between each step or things will bleed... You might even try it, but by all means, YMMV... The "inkjet ready" coating on papers, such as high-gloss, is actually clay based. Go figure.

What kind of printer is your friend using to print on glass? I'm intrigued!

Comment

Actually he's a business contact. I have the same equipment as he does, but we have more specific usage for it. I'll be getting a new assitant soon, when that happens I'll have more time to try to expand our options. I'll probably do some stuff on acrylic.

The machine is basically a glorified inkjet with an adjustable platten. I can print on media up to 60" wide and 1/2" thick. We're going to be experimenting with new media and some water proof inks soon, hopefully everything works out in my favor

The shop has a table top CNC that can do 6x12 I think I'm going to see if I can print up a face plate and have them cut it.

btw.. I work for a large corporation, I work in the printshop next door to us they make all of the furniture, etc. That's why I have access to this stuff. Unfortunately, I can't really get work done for other people since it's not a comercial shop.
                  aka Kumaneko

Comment

Working...
                  X