Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• another question for all

well since i'm on a roll of getting much need info answered:

how come when i scan a pic and open it in photoshop 7.0 the image size says something smaller than what it really is? i can view it in another program and see the actual size. just can't seem to get it to reduce its size. "size" meaning the width and height. thanks in advance!
    99.9% complete.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/212327

Re: another question for all

are you getting confused with pixels/inches/cm's and DPI? thats had me freaked a few times in the past...
    Project - GAME OVER :(

Comment

ok. heres whats happening. i scan it and open it in photoshop. the title bar says it is at 33%. but when i check the image size it is showing correct. it also print the right size. but if i try to upload it as a file it is huge.
      99.9% complete.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/212327

Comment

hrm.... personally Photoshop has always scared me alot I only have a copy for when designers send me mockups/GFX for websites that I need to crop/cut work with.

I use Paint Shop Pro 7, simpler interface, and now I know it well I wont change for a while.
        Project - GAME OVER :(

Comment

yeah, its oversized. 33% is viewing at 33% actual size instead of 100%. When you print it should autosize to fit paper (if it hasn't told you when printing) Go to canvas size and change it to 640x480 or smaller. To see actually size go to view and zoom to actual size.

if you resize and its still huge file size, try to save as jpeg and set quality to like 7 or lower.

What happens is when you scan its probly set resolution to like 100 or higher. Photoshop default resolution is 72. So even if the image size is the same, ie 640x480, due to the resolution its different. Check next time you scan to see what the resolution is.

Comment

What it might be doing is scanning at a high resolution lets say 300dpi. On the monitor, this makes it really big, but when you print it, it knows to make it the right size.
            Project AutoBoxen: Coming along, almost ready to hook up in the car.
            Celeron 500, 192mb ram, 8gb hdd, other stuff.
            '91 Mazda 626: Its free, so ill use it.

Comment

What it might be doing is scanning at a high resolution lets say 300dpi. On the monitor, this makes it really big, but when you print it, it knows to make it the right size.
              uh, thats basically what i just typed.

Comment

lol sorry, i guess i was a bit tired last night or something, no offence was intended.
                Project AutoBoxen: Coming along, almost ready to hook up in the car.
                Celeron 500, 192mb ram, 8gb hdd, other stuff.
                '91 Mazda 626: Its free, so ill use it.

Comment

Originally posted by Alphared
                  Photoshop default resolution is 72.
                  the 72 dpi refers to the average resolution of a monitor's screen (at least way back in the day when they established that standard)

But yes, 33% refers to the pixel reduction ratio, not the final image size of the printed image. You need to adjust the image size to change anything on paper, or you can reduce/enlarge your image with image size (also called "resampling")

Comment

Working...
                  X