Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Desktop PC - Internet problem...?

Hi Guys,

I'm having some problems with my desktop PC that maybe someone over here can help me with.

Sometimes when surfing my internet explorer looses his internet connection. I get the "page cannot be displayed" screen. It doesn't matter on what site I am, it happens randomly. The strange thing about it is that I still have an internet connection. Active downloads keep on going and also my gadgets in the sidebar depending on the internet keep on updating. Also my mail keeps on going. Only the browser doesn't work anymore. I thought maybe Internet Explorer was causing it so I installed Firefox but the problem remains there. Disabeling firewalls, virusscanner, netlimiter,.. doesn't solve the problem. Repairing the network connection doesn't work. Only rebooting the PC seems to solve the problem at this time.

Is there anyone who has an idea what this problem may be? I'm drawing a blank here.

Thanks.
    BMW 525tds -Biostar I94GM-I4 -Celeron M44O 1,86GHz, M2-ATX, 1Gb, 320GB -HQCT RDS tuner -Creative Extigy -iBus controller -Lilliput 7" touchscreen -DLS Ultimate A7 amplifier -Focal 130K, 130V, 27V2 speakers

Bezel Worklog-My Install -iDrive F01 RR Skin

buy a real key for xp? no i dont know i get that too but i blame it on my poop internets.
    I GIVE FREE HUGS!
    Buy Sell or Trade
    If my pm box is full, please feel free to call me any time. 440-328-3382
    Thank you
    Forex
    Rate Mp3car @ FXroot.com

Comment

It's Vista, and yes, I have an official version.
      BMW 525tds -Biostar I94GM-I4 -Celeron M44O 1,86GHz, M2-ATX, 1Gb, 320GB -HQCT RDS tuner -Creative Extigy -iBus controller -Lilliput 7" touchscreen -DLS Ultimate A7 amplifier -Focal 130K, 130V, 27V2 speakers

Comment

is QoS enabled?
        My Nearly Complete Car:
        http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...ed-car-pc.html

Micro Control Center... Control Your Car Across the Internet
        http://www.mp3car.com/fusion-brain/1...-internet.html

Website: (It's a work in progress, really. All my projects have taken me from ever really developing it.)
        http://paulfurtado.com/

Comment

Check the network cable, possibly bad. Is the netcard blinking very fast all the time, even when not surfing? could be an ad bot, virus, ect...You didn't state what type of connection, dial up, dsl, cable?
          ...JJG

Comment

@Jebus: I don't think it's the network cable. Traffic seems normal. No blinking and stuff when I'm not using the the PC. Also I don't loose internet completely. Only my webbrowser doesn't work anymore. All the other stuff (mail, downloads, gadgets,..) keep on functioning. I use a cable connection.

@PaulF: I don't know...? What's QoS? Where do I find it?

Comment

Put XP on it.

Get rid of Vista.

Most of your problems will go away.... IE7 is horrible....

Rafster
              Post # 3000

Comment

If it is just the browser going bad I would vote for definately spyware/trojan of some sort.

See that there are no wacky processes running that shouldnt be.
                Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
                1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
                30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
                15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
                Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

Any way to check with a different computer to see if it happens there too? Do you have a router in your setup?

If it's not the router/you dont have a router, then I'm leaning towards spyware or something as well. Try running a full check, see if anything comes up.

Comment

I have a 5 port switch in my setup. The other PC on it doesn't seem to have these problems however. There is also a Digital TV setop-box connected to it.

So you guys think it's probably spyware of some sort? Do any of you know a decent spyware removal tool? I'm running Spyware Terminator now. It does regular scans but it doesn't really find much during these scans. So there are two possibilities: Or I have a very clean PC, or the program s*cks...

Comment

I know some ISPs only allow 1 or 2 IP, and since you're on a switch, this might be the problem. They could be disabling http access, while leaving you with an open connection. Try disconnecting the other PC, see if that improves things.

Not sure it will help, but it's worth a try. I'm not even sure the set-top box would be using up one of your IPs.

Comment

Ad-Aware (Free)

SpyBot Search And Destroy (Free)

AVG Anti-Virus Suite (Free)
                        Post # 3000

Comment

Originally posted by Rafster View Post
                          Ad-Aware (Free)

SpyBot Search And Destroy (Free)

AVG Anti-Virus Suite (Free)
                          Just ran Spybot S/D. I allready had it on my PC but forgot all about it. Updated the thing and performed a complete scan. Result: Two minor threads found:

-DoubleClick
                          -Win32.agent.bm

They're gone now. But I doubt these were the ones causing my problems...

My ISP allows up to 4 IP's so I also don't think the problems lie there. The Set-Top box is also using one of them. (it handles EPG, interactive content and so on)

Comment

Try having Windows reinstall the NIC driver, or see if there are newer drivers for your NIC on the manufacturers website.....

Rafster
                            Post # 3000

Comment

Working...
                            X