Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much does it cost for a decent paintjob?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much does it cost for a decent paintjob?

I have an old 78 Monte Carlo and its kind of lacking in appearence. Its the origional paintjob which lately has began to peel and chip, and even rust in some spots. How much would it cost (ballpark figure) to get a nice new glossy paintjob? I would like to fix the appearence outside before I start pouring all my money into the botomless pit of car mp3 systems.

Thanks
    Maroon Monte Carlo In process of Being Pimped Out.

At least $2500. Any lower and corners will be cut.
    Player: Pentium 166MMX, Amptron 598LMR MB w/onboard Sound, Video, LAN, 10.2 Gig Fujitsu Laptop HD, Arise 865 DC-DC Converter, Lexan Case, Custom Software w/Voice Interface, MS Access Based Playlists
    Car: 1986 Mazda RX-7 Turbo (highly modded), 1978 RX-7 Beater (Dead, parting out), 2001 Honda Insight
    "If one more body-kitted, cut-spring-lowered, farty-exhausted Civic revs on me at an intersection, I swear I'm going to get out of my car and cram their ridiculous double-decker aluminium wing firmly up their rump."

Comment

DO NOT GO TO MAACO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

try to find a local shop and talk to the people there. you can cut some of the cost by doing some prep work yourself. although, if you are not inclined to do the prep work then make sure you are going to a good shop, so they dont cut corners like aaron said.

also, if you know any one in the area that has been to any particular shops, try and talk to them. not only people that have recent work done, but people that have had work done several years ago. most paint will look good when it is new, but ****ty paint jobs will crack, peel, fade, and just plain suck after a year or two.

~Mike
      Single Member of the "1000 Post and No MP3 Car" Club
      PROJECT ON INDEFINATE HOLD... BOUGHT A HOUSE
      2000 Cavalier Z24 [###-------] Only 30% Done ... Still

Comment

yep $2500 CDN , maybe extras like bodywork will up the price. Also ask around for ref's and actually talk to the shop owner before anywork is to be done. Go for Base-clear instead of single stage. It pay's off in the end if they know that you'll be going over it with a fine tooth comb. Pull your windows, skins and door handles if your gonna pay top dollar, nothing looks worst in my opinion than a oversprayed door lock, seal etc... . Chances are if it's still original paint on there now then the original window and door seal's are probably dried up by now and lost the flex they need to make a perfect water tight seal. Think about replacing those pieces also when you think about going for a perfect paintjob.
        Good places use good tools and good filters for the guy's who actually paint the car in the booth. The good filters are expensive... so don't take your car to a place that does'nt take care of his own guy's first. Also try to find a family run buisness. They have more to loose and generally go the extra mile to make you happy.

And yes, if you cheap out for a sub $1000 paintjob it will surely be disapointing in 3 years tops.
        GTI - Palm IIIe controlled with Radio faceplate hack for keyboard control of WinAmp w/ Vocal Genre playlist loading.
        VW Bus - 10.4" vga lcd. Loaded with same software as above.

Comment

Alright thanks guys. I'll ask my mechanic for any recommendations. I know him and his family so he should give a good place to go. Yeah I'm going to get all new door, window and trunks seal. Also I've been having problems with leaking on the passenger side of the windshield. Is there anyway I could seal that up myself?

Thanks again!

Comment

Yea $2500 is definately MINIMUM... a "really good" paintjob can run you upto $6000-8000 even in some cases.
            1993 Toyota Supra Twin Turbo (Silver)
            1994 Toyota Supra Twin Turbo (Black)
            SupraPC is currently in the works
            http://www.pooshda.com
            http://version6.pooshda.com

Comment

Actually, I was talking $2500 US.

Oh, and I don't recommend doing the prepwork yourself unless you really know what you are doing. Prep is the most important part of the job, and where 90% of the labour goes.
              Player: Pentium 166MMX, Amptron 598LMR MB w/onboard Sound, Video, LAN, 10.2 Gig Fujitsu Laptop HD, Arise 865 DC-DC Converter, Lexan Case, Custom Software w/Voice Interface, MS Access Based Playlists
              Car: 1986 Mazda RX-7 Turbo (highly modded), 1978 RX-7 Beater (Dead, parting out), 2001 Honda Insight
              "If one more body-kitted, cut-spring-lowered, farty-exhausted Civic revs on me at an intersection, I swear I'm going to get out of my car and cram their ridiculous double-decker aluminium wing firmly up their rump."

Comment

Well since Im on a budget I want to keep the paint job at least under $2000. Im a kid and working part time so Im really not raking in the money. I found a website that has very cheap prices but it seems way too good to be true. And the have a shop like 20 miles from me. Here is the link. The one I looked at is the pearl. Im torn. It seems way to cheap to be a good paintjob but why would they give it a 6 year warranty if was just going to come back in for repainting.

Anyone have comments?
                Thanks

P.S.: Ill post some more sites if I find any at interesting prices that are near me. And I will NEVER go maaco.

Comment

i had 2 earl sheib paint jobs when i started driving when i lived in new jersey. they paint over rust and dirt and whatever else they see. but that was over 20 years ago so they might have better painters now. god luck!
                  99.9% complete.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/212327

Comment

Does anyone else have any good/bad comments about earl scheib paintjobs? If I do some prep work myself maybe it will turn out better. Because Ive heard their skimp on the prep work. Is that true?

Thanks

Comment

probably $3-5G's depending on the job. On new cars like $4gs..
                      but if you love your car, go for it.
                      Mine needs to be updated.

Comment

There are always folks in town that have the equipment to spray cars...the sprayguns alone are about $500 now....

Anyway for the cost of paint (somewhere around $100 per gallon or is it quart...depending a lot on colors etc...most are cheaper)

...and a lot of labor on your part...prep work, taping, post paint sanding, etc, you could get a nice job for the price you are talking.

Because the paint and equipment are so expensive, it is hard to do it yourself.

The prepwork and between spray work eat up the most labor for a nice straight paint job.

But that is how you get those beautiful cars.

So you can see where you have to cut corners to save money...prepwork, spray equipment, paint. If you cut corners on all three then you have the Maaco/Earlsheib type jobs.

Hey you get what you pay for.

A very good friend of mine did this as a side job/hobby, he built a paint booth complete with lights and ventilation (no dust on your new paint) bought the before mentioned solid gold (cost) spraygun, and spent the hours prepping his own rides.

I think around $2k was his lowest charge...if the owner did most of the prep work.

Find someone like that.
                        current projects

Comment

Working...
                        X